IGNORED

Simple coaching lesson from Kevin de Bruyne

extonsred

12 minutes ago, extonsred said:

...I look up and can only pass to him if I see he's running into space...

Wonder if we practice this on the training ground?

Sounds so simple...difficult to employ when you have a static team all facing you (rather that the supposed direction of travel).

Can't believe how static we have become in games..throws.....general passing.

No one seemingly coaching movement off the ball....

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MelksRed said:

Sounds so simple...difficult to employ when you have a static team all facing you (rather that the supposed direction of travel).

Can't believe how static we have become in games..throws.....general passing.

Too much positional discipline and responsibility, maybe players need to have or show a little more freedom or a preparedness to gamble by making a run even though it may leave ‘their’ man free?

KDB is one of the most under hyped players in premier league history in my opinion despite being probably the best midfielder the premier league has ever seen. 

Look at Salah for example, gets all the plaudits he deserves. But for some bizarre reason, KDB doesn't recieve the same sort of hype. I don't know if thats down to his quiet personality or because of who he plays for. 

He easily goes into my greatest prem XI.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

21 minutes ago, Sturgess said:

Too much positional discipline and responsibility, maybe players need to have or show a little more freedom or a preparedness to gamble by making a run even though it may leave ‘their’ man free?

You can only show freedom if you are given it.

Often, when a lot of coaching is involved, it's about waiting for someone else's trigger movement 

I thought id put a cheeky punt on man city after our disappointing loss, never have i felt so pleased for a player to come on!

His goal was such a kdb goal! Its just you cant defend it!

I feel like man city without kdb, is a team thats beatable, with him they have the best midfielder in the world right now.

1 hour ago, The turtle said:

You can only show freedom if you are given it.

Often, when a lot of coaching is involved, it's about waiting for someone else's trigger movement 

Therein lies my point, sometimes you have to force the oppo to react, rather than waiting for something to happen - force them to respond. Granted, you may concede a possession or a chance, but it works both ways right?!

Edited by Sturgess

2 hours ago, extonsred said:

...I look up and can only pass to him if I see he's running into space...

Wonder if we practice this on the training ground?

And it’s interesting that the one game where we did employ this type of movement off the ball was Conways run into space and subsequent goal, from Williams’ assist in the FA cup game against WH. 

One of the most frustrating things about watching City is the inconsistency in our play. We show we can do better and then play like we did yesterday. 

Edited by JP Hampton

5 minutes ago, Sturgess said:

Therein lies my point, sometimes you have to force the oppo to react, rather than waiting for something to happen - force them to respond. Granted, you may concede a possession or a chance, but it works both ways right?!

Henry explains it very well.

He wasn't in the game, following management tactics, but he was out of the game

He went being proactive, even scored ..... Result= he was subbed

I think it happens in so many games in all football teams. We get frustrated at players for not doing certain things, but if they did; even if they worked in that moment, they would find themselves out of the side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Watching the Ipswich vs Sunderland game I was struck by how the Ipswich players were constantly on the move and looking to make themselves available to receive a pass.

They don't have stellar players so it shows that it can be coached.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sturgess said:

I once read - many moons ago.

When wenger was at arsenal, he mainly focused on defensive set-up, and the transition phases.

But when on the ball he had very little input as to what players should do, simply that players should both enjoy and express themselves.

His arsenal sides often bad faults, but on the ball they were always so expressive as a result.

His teaching of henry for example on making different runs depending on who had the ball was so simple yet fantastic, because henry always made the some runs regardless who was in possession then get annoyed they couldn't play that pass. That one piece of advice changed his career 

• Like 1

Was absolutely fantastic against us at AG last season in the cup.

That goal he scored, on the run, without stopping, to curl into the goal from 25 yards. Absolutely fantastic technique.

You can only admire the talent, after you've been able to see them live. Watching on TV cuts out so much of their off the ball work.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Watching the Ipswich vs Sunderland game I was struck by how the Ipswich players were constantly on the move and looking to make themselves available to receive a pass.

They don't have stellar players so it shows that it can be coached.

They are becoming very annoying, they seem to be the exception to everything at the moment!

But what they definitely are is well drilled….and they are genuinely front foot.  They don’t overplay, they confound the theory that passing it around, moves players around to create openings.  They manage to do it without the need to go side to side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Was absolutely fantastic against us at AG last season in the cup.

That goal he scored, on the run, without stopping, to curl into the goal from 25 yards. Absolutely fantastic technique.

You can only admire the talent, after you've been able to see them live. Watching on TV cuts out so much of their off the ball work.

More impressive was the equaliser away in the league cup semi final. He got the ball off their keeper & thought **** this I’ll do I myself . 

• Like 1

Was incredibly fortunate to be at St James' Park last night and watch him in action.

Every time I've seen him play live he's produced something that is on a different level to anyone else on the pitch.

His ability to spot that pass for Bobb last night is something you can't teach, as is his calmness with the ball at his feet for the 2nd goal, as soon as he picked up the ball you knew what he was going to do.

The best midfielder in Premier League history for me

From what I have seen we play straight into feet too much which forces pressure on the 1st touch being good and makes turning difficult. Play into space and the marking defender has a much harder job. It doesn't need to be acres of space, just the side furthest from the defender.

Key point - the run is made 1st and the ball passed 2nd, that is what catches out defenders.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They don’t overplay, they confound the theory that passing it around, moves players around to create openings. 

Indeed, if you do that the opposition can just keep their shape and expect that sooner or later you will give the ball away. Which certainly applies to us.

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

KDB is one of the most under hyped players in premier league history in my opinion despite being probably the best midfielder the premier league has ever seen. 

Look at Salah for example, gets all the plaudits he deserves. But for some bizarre reason, KDB doesn't recieve the same sort of hype. I don't know if thats down to his quiet personality or because of who he plays for. 

I don't know who you hang out with or what TV shows you watch, but I think he's universally appreciated as a fantastic footballer.   

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We often disagree. But 100% with you on this, and you put it well. 

51 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Indeed, if you do that the opposition can just keep their shape and expect that sooner or later you will give the ball away. Which certainly applies to us.

If there was one thing I’d simplistically summarise at this point under LM, it’s that by taking some intensity out of the game both with the ball and without you end up with both teams having set defences….and therefore it’s harder to create for us and them, especially when chances from transition tend to be better scoring chances than from build up.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They are becoming very annoying, they seem to be the exception to everything at the moment!

But what they definitely are is well drilled….and they are genuinely front foot.  They don’t overplay, they confound the theory that passing it around, moves players around to create openings.  They manage to do it without the need to go side to side.

We play a lot of horizontal, slower football in the defensive third, looking to draw teams onto us and create openings. La Pausa I believe they call it! Once we find that opening though, it's fast and vertical through the middle and final thirds. At the end of the day, like you say, it is being well drilled, well coached, having strong relationships on the pitch and the end product of a team that has been progressively built and improved over the last 2 and a bit years. McKenna hasn't built this team and style overnight. In his early days we were tight defensively but struggled to score goals, which is mad to say now! This is why I think patience is needed with Manning, he needs time to mould the team into what he wants. 

Edited by Dan11
  • Like 1