IGNORED

Dehumidifiers?

RedM

Anyone got an experience of these. I've read a lot recently about people using them to help condensation on windows, drying washing indoors. I've always thought of them as something people use to dry out after flooding, dry plaster etc but they seem more of an every day appliance now. 

Are they worth the money? I've read the air is better and heating more efficient etc. 

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

• Admin

I used to suffer badly from damp living in a Victorian property. 

Whilst it did collect lots of water I was forever getting dry coughs and the air was very dry which affected my skin and my eyes 

Fixing the guttering and leaving small windows open actually solved my problem. 

On the flip side, when I was married the in laws experienced flooding (Christmas eve morning) and they were provided with much bigger units and in time they got rid of the moisture in the floors etc 

• Thanks 1

Had one in my room at uni during my first year, on the ground floor in a Victorian house that suffered from damp in the flooring. Did the job temporarily although required emptying daily, until the management relented and put a new floor in.

My main gripe was the noise from it, although this was in the early 2000s and I suspect the technology has advanced since then.

We've recently moved into a bungalow. Ripped out old fitted wardrobes in main bedroom which were on an outside wall and noticed damp on the wall. Went in the loft and the roof felt above the bedroom was soaking with condensation. We bought a de-humidifier and put it in the bedroom. I was staggered how much water it collected. Same in all the other rooms. Ventilation seems to be the key to dealing with condensation. January and February are the worse months. I put some lift vents in the roofing felt overlaps, and we keep a small window slightly open in the bedroom and bathroom. The difference now is remarkable. No more wet roofing felt or damp walls. Still use the de-humidifier though and I think they are worth every penny. I would urge you to ventilate your home though as you do produce a lot if condensation when sleeping and drying clothes on radiators. Sorry about the long post but in answer to @RedM question, then yes I would say definitely get one.

• Like 1

We live in a new build bungalow. Condensation has been a problem especially when the triple glazing works so well in retaining the heat.

I looked at dehumidifiers but opted to buy the small plastic containers from big supermarkets/ hardware shops at around £1.25 each. 

This pic shows a completely filled dehumidifier.

We've also a month ago,  put a Peace Lilly into the bathroom to help with the condensation as recommended by the press. They look good and the jury is still put as to whether the plants actually work. However, even in January, opening the bathroom window really helps....and dehumidifiers aren't supposed to go into bathrooms according to elf n safety.

Try the cheap disposable pots first would be a start.

1705271747098241470359984521415.jpg

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Anyone got an experience of these. I've read a lot recently about people using them to help condensation on windows, drying washing indoors. I've always thought of them as something people use to dry out after flooding, dry plaster etc but they seem more of an every day appliance now. 

Are they worth the money? I've read the air is better and heating more efficient etc. 

I’d recommend one to help with condensation and drying clothes for sure.  Our 12 litre one fills up every day. That’s a lot of moisture being sucked out the air! 

this one is very good but sadly sold out on amazon. I think most 12 litre ones around the £120 mark are probably about as good as each other assuming reviews are good 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inventor-Portable-Dehumidifier-Restart-Warranty/dp/B07XJ48TP1

• Like 1

I use one in my workshop and it also warms the place up aswell. There are two different types  I can't remember what the advantages / disadvantages are so best check . Yes I would recommend.

• Like 1

We have a bedroom that has always suffered with condensation which had caused mould to grow on the wallpaper near the windows. Last year I tried the type where you use moisture absorbing tablets (Unibond) as shown in the picture. It did take moisture out of the air, and requires no power, but you do have to keep buying the replacement tablets. So this year I have bought an electric 12L dehumidifer and an constantly amazed at how much water it collects (certainly much more than the tablet version). It is noisy but we use it during the day and only probably every two days for a few hours. However - we have not had any condensation since!

image.thumb.png.30eca79392c4986a9692ab1e52169ea9.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RedM said:

We have 2 and they are brilliant for all the reasons you mention.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all, very helpful advice. We do seem to have a lot more condensation this year, I mean not dripping but the windows are wet and it just doesn't look good and I'm wondering about the health implications. I always open the windows every day but by morning it's bad again. I think I will certainly invest in one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

We live in a new build bungalow. Condensation has been a problem especially when the triple glazing works so well in retaining the heat.

I looked at dehumidifiers but opted to buy the small plastic containers from big supermarkets/ hardware shops at around £1.25 each. 

This pic shows a completely filled dehumidifier.

We've also a month ago,  put a Peace Lilly into the bathroom to help with the condensation as recommended by the press. They look good and the jury is still put as to whether the plants actually work. However, even in January, opening the bathroom window really helps....and dehumidifiers aren't supposed to go into bathrooms according to elf n safety.

Try the cheap disposable pots first would be a start.

1705271747098241470359984521415.jpg

I did have a couple of these a few years ago, when we had our old double glazed windows. After we replaced the windows I thought it would improve, as I said even on the coldest days I always like to have windows open even it's it's only a few minutes to change the air. I don't like it too hot. I didn't find these pots very effective, they filled up fairly quickly and didn't seem to be effective.

It's only really for a couple of months I notice condensation, I guess even cooking and showering, wet towels etc all adds up and doesn't help. A dehumidifier sounds like a good investment. I'm not so worried about the cost of it or running costs, just wanted to be sure they were effective and it sounds like they are.

• Like 1

we bought one for the new house as one room smelt a bit damp, it took a few weeks but the unit definately helped reduce it. (the reading on the unit we bought helped tell you what the humidity is/was) it's amazing to have to empty that much water every other day.

we don't need it so much now but can also dry clothes with it so v useful.

ours was a bigger unit, but def worth it.

Meaco Arete One Dehumidifier & Air Purifier, 12L

• Thanks 1

I've recently bought a new property, that has triple glazing, so no draughts.

In this weather in the mornings there can be moisture on the windows. 

I've found the plastic interior dehumidifiers that are approx 75p to buy, put on the windowsill work perfectly. 

A friend of mine puts salt in a small container on the windowsill and swears by it. 

Salt in a sock on the dashboard helps in cars too. 

Until it's warm enough to open the windows, it'll do. 

Not read through the posts, but I was recommended a PIV unit as I'm getting a lot of condense in the windows.  I've not had much time unit to look into it, but it lives in the loft and so say cures condensation in windows, mould and damp.  

https://www.electricpoint.com/vent-axia-pureair-home-piv-479091.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA75itBhA6EiwAkho9e0yeVg6cB28GXwF-6n_zWk-5b3WhdAMCZZFp2dbEHh4jBeB_sNXarhoCQ1sQAvD_BwE

Edited by Isawjonshaw