IGNORED

Watford at home match thread

Just now, Davefevs said:

Blimey, that was a tough watch, Watford by far the better team and ought to be ahead.

We are half a yard off all over the pitch.  Kone running the midfield.

Unsurprisingly for me might be too much for McCrorie today, has struggled.  It's so hard coming back from injury, you get through on adrenaline, but it can catch up on you.  I'd whip him off at h-t.  Plenty of games left for him.

Great save by Max at feet of Asprilla, but his kicking poor.

Need to be much better second half.

Strange how I saw it so differently! I don't think Watford fans will be especially pleased with that performance.

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It's a very strange thing mainly because he is home grown I guess and he used to be a bit dodgy when he first broke through 

Excellent shot stopper but not really able to ping diagonals so I dont know why that situation arises.

On the match their press seems pretty effective imo.

Happy with 1-1 .

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Max O’Leary’s level versus fan respect is wildly different! 

To be fair, that half was exactly what you get from Max - a fantastic save (and I don’t think anyone has questioned his shot stopping) and some awful distribution - playing Williams and Dickie into trouble and a lot of inaccurate long kicks. Hes been improving on the distribution of late but its down a couple of levels today.

Once the distribution improves regularly you’ll see the doubts melt away - because there isn’t and never has been any doubt about his shot stopping, but the distribution is such a big part of the modern game it’s what’s holding him back. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, The Nest Egg said:

Very regularly gets plaudits from opposition fans, we just don't seem to appreciate him. It's how I used to feel before I gave my head a wobble!

Look he makes some fantastic saves and has very good games, but let's not gloss over some of his horrendous displays, and I'm still not sold on his kicking under pressure, his good displays do outweigh his f ups so he is in credit with me. I'm afraid he will always have howlers followed by a world-class display, that's just the way it is with Max. 

• Like 1

Anyway, odd half. We’re probably second best overall but have capacity to improve. Twine did one great dummy on halfway and was a great leap for the goal but looks new to the side and you can tell - he’s not on the same wavelength as teammates at present. That should improve. Williams is a bit below recent performances for me and Ross M looks a bit like he’s feeling the return to the side. We’re looking (well Dickie) for a ball to the left wing a lot that’s not on with the formation tweak so I expect us to spread a bit second half.

Not great, not horrific, but things to do.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pillred said:

Look he makes some fantastic saves and has very good games, but let's not gloss over some of his horrendous displays, and I'm still not sold on his kicking under pressure, his good displays do outweigh his f ups so he is in credit with me. I'm afraid he will always have howlers followed by a world-class display, that's just the way it is with Max. 

Spot on. 

He'll have days where he makes some great saves, and he'll have days where he makes a few howlers (he seems especially prone to the ball going "through" him at times).

His starting position can be great for being "proactive" on the edge of his box, but his kicking leaves a lot to be desired.

He's fine. Not good, not awful, just fine. 

• Like 1