IGNORED

Watford at home match thread

Sounds like a fair draw between 2 sides very much a work in progress.

Some good moments and some not so great!

Probably got the same flaws as you - scrappy passing and poor set plays?

Biggest shock was getting a penalty...first time in a year I think.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 4
12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It seemed to me that he was a bit more passive in his press (noting the team were less passive). Prior to this, under LM, he’s been the forward midfielder and pressing along the backline. Today, it seemed to me he was given a “lane” and largely stayed in it, and looked a bit more uncertain when to go or stay. As you say, may sort itself over time but definitely less effective than the player we’ve seen

Some differences to our normal press today, mainly due to the change to a back three.  And those 3 marking one meant that we allowed Kone and Dele-Bashiru to split James and Williams.  We weren’t as compact in the middle as we normally are.  And instead of Knight pressing with Tommy centrally, and Sykes pushing onto the LB knowing he has Tanner at RB behind him, today McCrorie was outside him, but as he was RWB he didn’t have Tanner backing him up.

It just wasn’t quite right.IMG_9643.thumb.jpeg.3953c404174f3da2d56c8c0e0a509449.jpegIMG_9645.thumb.jpeg.e5dd9b8f292dd75df5112b0a48b55a7e.jpeg

yellow circle where George Tanner normally backs up Sykes.

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some differences to our normal press today, mainly due to the change to a back three.  And those 3 marking one meant that we allowed Kone and Dele-Bashiru to split James and Williams.  We weren’t as compact in the middle as we normally are.  And instead of Knight pressing with Tommy centrally, and Sykes pushing onto the LB knowing he has Tanner at RB behind him, today McCrorie was outside him, but as he was RWB he didn’t have Tanner backing him up.

It just wasn’t quite right.IMG_9643.thumb.jpeg.3953c404174f3da2d56c8c0e0a509449.jpegIMG_9645.thumb.jpeg.e5dd9b8f292dd75df5112b0a48b55a7e.jpeg

It hasn’t been right at all, Watford away aside but think we got lucky that day with an out of sorts Watford. We are a dull watch, disappointing. Tinnion surely knows the sort of football City fans want to see, edge of the seat stuff.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned as i've only just got home and haven't read the full thread.

The Watford number 11 Kone looks a real player. He was quick, athletic and technically very good.

I thought it was an average game and a draw was about right. We pressed more than Watford in the 2nd half but just lacked that final bit of quality.

On to Friday!

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree Dave, not quite right is how it felt.

Still think we are better with those pairings, Tanner-Sykes as you say..Pring then pick one for that side.

6 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned as i've only just got home and haven't read the full thread.

The Watford number 11 Kone looks a real player. He was quick, athletic and technically very good.

I thought it was an average game and a draw was about right. We pressed more than Watford in the 2nd half but just lacked that final bit of quality.

On to Friday!

Slow start to his career last season but certainly is a decent young player.

Was in the Canadian squad at the World cup.

I am not sure we are very strong in any particularly areas tbh but seem to be much better as a team this season. 

Ryan Andrews and Yaser Asprilla are other good youngsters who will probably attract attention.

Not sure about our defence and up front is strange - Rajovic scores goals but is quite average generally.

2 big surprises have been Ben Hamer and Jake Livermore.

Just watched the highlights .

Looks like Dickies arm gets a nudge by Pring as he jumps, unlucky , but it does strike his arm. Didn't see it at the time.

Great leap by Twine, after a good effort by TC and a good save from the keeper.

One I did see at the time, brilliant by Max saving what I said at the time was a must score opportunity .

Shame Knight couldn't steer that header wide of the keeper, went for power and it hits the keeper as much as he saves it. Then from the second header Vyner is so unlucky that his flick hits the defender and goes wide. Any other kind of touch and you'd think he scores .

Restricting them to two shots on target, one a Pen , is decent , we do have to create more though.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

McCrorie needs to play where Tanner is and Sykes on the right. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Slow start to his career last season but certainly is a decent young player.

Was in the Canadian squad at the World cup.

I am not sure we are very strong in any particularly areas tbh but seem to be much better as a team this season. 

Ryan Andrews and Yaser Asprilla are other good youngsters who will probably attract attention.

Not sure about our defence and up front is strange - Rajovic scores goals but is quite average generally.

2 big surprises have been Ben Hamer and Jake Livermore.

I thought you were a decent side Mark. You've got some big physical boys in that team, but also have some pace and ability in the final third.

Both teams had their moments but lacked a bit of quality/composure.

I will certainly keep an eye on Kone's development. I think you could have a top player there.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

As always I was frustrated +++++ by our shocking throw ins, hopefully LM can address this weakness

We must be one of the worst teams in the league re our throw in routines. Most receiving players completely static or somebody running fast towards the thrower who when it's thrown to him can hardly turn with it but usually knocking it back to the thrower who has no chance of controlling it. We still have our trump card of throwing it backwards.....even when we're close to their box......

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Really couldn't disagree more.

The contrast between this performance and the Millwall game was stark

Against Millwall, we were passive, happy to retain possession and offered little threat

I liked everything about today's game, and especially the second half, other than the fact that we didn't win. We had 3 free headers in front of the South stand, one of which should have gone in

Today, we had an aggressive midfield, runners, many forward passes and, the thing I really liked was the hunting in packs. 

We pressed intensely at times and forced errors from Watford and, when we've got a bit more practice at it, teams will struggle to get out

Watford played their part to be fair and I just thought it was a cracking game of football all round

Kudos to Liam Manning for the turnaround and I think with another signing or 2, we will only get better. I like the shape this team us evolving into. Tommy will come into his element when we get there....

The number of square and backwards passes is doing my head in. Its not entertaining end of. 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It hasn’t been right at all, Watford away aside but think we got lucky that day with an out of sorts Watford. We are a dull watch, disappointing. Tinnion surely knows the sort of football City fans want to see, edge of the seat stuff.

When was the last time you consistently saw edge of the seat stuff at Ashton Gate?

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

He said consistently which I presume being week in week out.

LJ win streak was it 2018 ?

Maybe , I read it as consistently through a game. If that's the case then I would agree.

We are a team in transition it will take time but I do feel we are being coached for the first time in a very long time, and these effects need to time to have an impact and embed. NP wasn’t a coach and Holden and lj were well out of their depth, I can see what manning is trying to do even if we aren’t seeing it at its best yet. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1
2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Agree. And, as we found out, just because you’ve done it once, twice, three times, doesn’t always mean there’s a fourth player there to be sold for big money, 

Perhaps Coventry and to a lesser degree some others are banking on frontloading cost when FFP headroom plentiful while banking on the mooted new TV distribution between PL and EFL smoothing it medium to long term.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

We are a team in transition it will take time but I do feel we are being coached for the first time in a very long time, and these effects need to time to have an impact and embed. NP wasn’t a coach and Holden and lj were well out of their depth, I can see what manning is trying to do even if we aren’t seeing it at its best yet. 

Out of interest what do you think Fleming and Euell were doing?

I honestly don’t buy “we are now being coached” stuff.

Coached to play a bit differently?  Yes.  But that’s very different isn’t it?

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

I enjoyed the game today.   It was tight, but we took the game to Watford and looked to me like the better side.  Twine looks quality - he’s clearly got a lot more getting used to teammates to do but he can receive the ball in tight areas and make things happen even if they didn’t all come off today. I”m not sure what happened to the passing out of the back, but the midfield competed well and it was them more than us playing onthe break.  We are finally looking like a side with a bit of strength in depth now that the injuries are easing.   Gardner Hickman made a progressive difference, Bell was a bit indifferent, and I was delighted that we didn’t have to put up with the usual pointless cameo from Cornick, but carried a threat right to the final whistle.  Just a massive shame that we couldn’t get that winner - not sure how that ball stayed out of their net at times, though Max made a brilliant stop at our end to keep it all square to be fair.  Work to do, but I’m looking forward pretty optimistically to see what we can do. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

“ He’s been a breath of fresh air since he came in”.  Direct quote from Rob Atkinson on RTV today when asked about the arrival of Manning, which I found quite interesting.  Not sure he meant as a criticism of Nige and his team, but that’s how it came across.

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They were all just stood around each training session doing rondos for 3 hours, 4 days a week for 3 straight years 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3