IGNORED

Southampton to move away fans

Lakeside Red

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

What can they moan about? That is what was in the original plan, likewise the Dolman lower. 

It (standing at the back or front of the South Stand) was included in some preliminary sketches of the stand. However, this had been dropped by the time the stand was built and supporters bought their tickets. If the back few rows were converted to standing any supporter sitting there who didn’t want to stand would be entitled to most 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Do people still believe this is a thing?

Buying the houses behind the Atyeo - no. 

• Like 1

Moving Bristol City fans around Ashton Gate in the hope of transforming the atmosphere, is akin to moving the deck chairs around the Titanic in the hope of making it to New York. 

Wherever we are in the ground v Watford we just will not be as excited as we were against West Ham. If City fans were to be in the Atyeo tomorrow the atmosphere will not be as good as Tuesday, even if we win 2:0 or 3:0.

It's what's happening on the pitch that either revs people up or sends them to the concourse/their phones. Tuesday's agricultural, up and at -em, old-school, get in to 'um **** 'em up style football alongside the slaying of a PL club, plus being under the lights, is (part of) what makes an atmosphere. Watford at home, with (probably), lots of technical possession football amongst the cbs and midfield  around the middle of the pitch, does not an atmosphere make. Not even with us in the Atyeo. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 3

11 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Moving Bristol City fans around Ashton Gate in the hope of transforming the atmosphere, is akin to moving the deck chairs around the Titanic in the hope of making it to New York. 

Wherever we are in the ground v Watford we just will not be as excited as we were against West Ham. If City fans were to be in the Atyeo tomorrow the atmosphere will not be as good as Tuesday, even if we win 2:0 or 3:0.

It's what's happening on the pitch that either revs people up or sends them to the concourse/their phones. Tuesday's agricultural, up and at -em, old-school, get in to 'um **** 'em up style football alongside the slaying of a PL club, plus being under the lights, is (part of) what makes an atmosphere. Watford at home, with (probably), lots of technical possession football amongst the cbs and midfield  around the middle of the pitch, does not an atmosphere make. Not even with us in the Atyeo. 

Seems a bit reductive IMO, Watford at home last season just before the International break was quite a good atmosphere for one.

Who was the player who was deemed to be faking it, injury time and time wasting wise got a proper reception and send-off from the Dolman.

A few things did contribute to the better than average atmosphere for such a game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Hmmm 1

Specific games aside, one thing that I wonder whether we missed a trick on was the lack of Safe Standing in E34.

There was an organic and fledgling movement.

(Pedant alert- People may refer to it as A Block but that refers to the Upper. In pre redevelopment terms, E34 comprises A Block and H Block).

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

“We think this will greatly improve the atmosphere, and really help the team."

Isn't this something which LJ suggested and was roundly mocked for on here for saying it?

• Like 1

In all honesty, away fans have the worst stand of the 4. We have several games where less than 1,000 away fans attend yet we still let them take the entire width of the stand. 
When away allocations are of this number, stick them on the Dolman or Lansdown side of the Atyeo so they cannot be behind the goal itself. 
You think of the several away games we go to where we are stuffed into a corner, i dont understand why we dont do that to the several teams that bring small numbers. 
But BCFC have always been too nice, with no real winning mentality at the club ( Nige changed this a little ), so we wont do this at all and we’ll continue to welcome away teams with open arms. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

The problem is phantom, it’s ok discussing it but what are the genuine options open?

Back 10 rows of the south stand? That’s the only thing I think is logically possibly, but I don’t think that would be any improvement and then you’re risking pissing off fans who have sat there for years. 

The club never had a plan for where “vocal” fans should have gone from the start of redoing Ashton gate. 

Exactly true, but that's why there are discussions 

Then it'll get rolled out to the fanbase for feedback 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

It (standing at the back or front of the South Stand) was included in some preliminary sketches of the stand. However, this had been dropped by the time the stand was built and supporters bought their tickets. If the back few rows were converted to standing any supporter sitting there who didn’t want to stand would be entitled to most 

I'll come onto the converting the back few rows, any thoughts to those that may already sit there that may not wish to stand?

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It was not - it was pending changes to legislation to facilitate its inclusion. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hxj said:

Isn't this something which LJ suggested and was roundly mocked for on here for saying it?

Probably. But he should have known better - it's only in a game full of box entries that the crowd really gets fired up.

21 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

The problem is phantom, it’s ok discussing it but what are the genuine options open?

Back 10 rows of the south stand? That’s the only thing I think is logically possibly, but I don’t think that would be any improvement and then you’re risking pissing off fans who have sat there for years. 

The club never had a plan for where “vocal” fans should have gone from the start of redoing Ashton gate. 

Why is the old Eastend called the South Stand, surely that's the north of the ground? And why was it called the Eastend!

17 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

I'll come onto the converting the back few rows, any thoughts to those that may already sit there that may not wish to stand?

Went on the back row for an evening cup match a few years ago. 

Never again, it was like sitting in my parents' old kitchen with those bright strip lights just above my head.

39 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Why is the old Eastend called the South Stand, surely that's the north of the ground? And why was it called the Eastend!

You should have also asked about Crackers Corner in the East End, just to confuse matters further.

Hopefully, someone will provide a detailed answer, but East End is a bit of a misnomer.

Does that answer your question? 😉

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You should have also asked about Crackers Corner in the East End, just to confuse matters further.

Hopefully, someone will provide a detailed answer, but East End is a bit of a misnomer.

Does that answer your question? 😉

I'd have got a more straight forward answer from Boris Johnson :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Faces south east slightly. There was a terraced corner that followed eastwards round to the stand that was there before the Dolman the no 2/Cowshed and fans named the east end after the south east part.

• Like 2

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Superjack said:

@Superjack this was already discussed a few weeks ago when the story was released

I have merged your post into the thread where it was discussed

32 minutes ago, Nomad said:

1.4k what isn't enough for what @Mr Popodopolous

25 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

The amount of safe standing capacity that we currently have. 

Sorry I'll rephrase it a bit.

My view is that in the ground there are more than 1.4k who would prefer to watch their football standing up, Safe Standing call it what you will.

The current capacity is about 1.4k for that area...vs West Ham especially and perhaps less so v Nottingham Forest that zone maybe looked over capacity to me and then you see all the standing at the top of the Dolman.

That tells me that Demand > Supply for Safe Standing at AG.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

I was at the last game pre COVID versus Fulham.

We had the block next to the Dolman. It was full and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Both the stand and the concourse is blocked off. It was brilliant. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and being able to see the whites of the Fulham fans eyes! 😃

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

I was at the last game pre COVID versus Fulham.

We had the block next to the Dolman. It was full and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Both the stand and the concourse is blocked off. It was brilliant. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and being able to see the whites of the Fulham fans eyes! 😃

They should do that for every game where there are less than 2k away supporters.

Stand holds around 4k so plenty of room.

• Like 2