IGNORED

First ever Gold in Ski Racing for GB...

spudski

...was so proud this morning for my friends son Zak winning Gold for GB at the youth Winter Olympics in Korea, in the Super combined SG and SL. 

Emma and her husband have three sons all representing GB at youth level and have big dreams of making the World Cup circuit. 

They all work so so hard and so dedicated. 

It's been great watching their progress from afar ( based in Tignes France ) over the years. 

They are super talented lads and have a dedicated mother and father helping them in a financially hard sport to compete in, especially against the Alpine Nations. 

Such an amazing result. 

Keep an eye out for the name Carrick Smith. 

https://olympics.com/gangwon-2024/en/results/alpine-skiing/results-men-s-alpine-combined-fnl-0001sg-.htm

• Like 9

Your pride for Zak shows through Spudski and congratulations to the lad.

I can only speak for myself when it comes to skiing - I’ve never even attempted to try it largely because it’s not a sport that’s included in our school curriculum nor is it a sport where our climate enables Joe Public to participate as many other countries can and do.

Skiing is a sport low on the British sport spectrum and I can’t even name one British skier. That said I couldn’t name one British basketball player either.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Your pride for Zak shows through Spudski and congratulations to the lad.

I can only speak for myself when it comes to skiing - I’ve never even attempted to try it largely because it’s not a sport that’s included in our school curriculum nor is it a sport where our climate enables Joe Public to participate as many other countries can and do.

Skiing is a sport low on the British sport spectrum and I can’t even name one British skier. That said I couldn’t name one British basketball player either.

Thanks RR. 

Yes I'm extremely proud of the lad, his brothers and family. 

They are so dedicated and have made so many sacrifices to go on a journey and reach their dreams of becoming World Cup Racers. 

These results are like Wales winning the youth World Cup in football. 

You'd be surprised by how many Brits Ski. We have the third largest amount in the world. 

https://www.statista.com/topics/3759/winter-sports-in-the-uk/#topicOverview

Ski racing was invented by Arnold Lunn...he if Lunn Poly, back in the day. 

We presently have three racers in WC Slalom who are doing great. All three top 20 in Kitzbuhel last week. 

They are doing it on a shoestring compared to the resources of the Alpine nations. 

Just shows, hard work, dedication and sacrifices can make your dream reality. 

• Like 2