IGNORED

Aaron Wilbraham

4 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Love the Undr the Cosh interview with him, think I’ve listened to it three times, he actually mentions that he’s been considered an underwhelming signing by fans at a number of clubs, but has always managed to turn the fans on to him.

I listened to the Martin Allen one, very similar story.

Martin Allen came in as a manager and was immediately told by the owner that he had to let a few players go to balance the books - one of them was Wilbs.

He called Wilbs into his office and told him he was being released. Wilbs looked him in the eye and said: “No I’m not. You haven’t seen me play yet.” Martin Allen was a bit taken aback, but liked the way Wilbs had handled himself, so he went outside onto the pitch to call the owner and tell him that Wilbs was refusing to go.

The owner was also shocked but told Allen it was his call. Allen went back in and told Wilbs what had just happened, Wilbs looked him in the eyes again, shook his hand and told him he wouldn’t let him down.

He went on to be an absolute legend in Allen’s eyes. Model pro and “the sort of man you want your daughter to bring home.”

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t on here then, but I do recall a text from a mutual mate of @Harry on the eve of that Forest game saying it was a joke that he was playing in the champ!

And then the bbc used this photo on their website the next day with me resembling a crab!!

IMG_0496.thumb.jpeg.195b80a32756fe1db8142dd0191e1fa4.jpeg

The following afternoon headed into Cabot and whilst stood outside Smiggle (wife and daughter inside shopping) I found myself stood next to Alby, his wife and daughter inside the shop too!!!

Had a lovely natter with him.

As a player he reminded me of Joe Jordan, which is a big compliment!

Looks like a perfectly executed Haka to help intimidate the opposition 🤣

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not linked so don’t panic!

Seen city posted the two goals he scored vs Forest in 2015. Got me thinking… has there every been a more underwhelming signing that has actually transpired to be an absolute hero.

Would love a prime Wilbs in this squad right now.

Have to say, the signing of 'winger' Andi Weimann struck me as an expensive punt. 

Another player who out performed based on my expectations.

One of those players, who whilst he wasn't blessed with loads of attributes or ability, he had totally mastered his own game and knew full well how to use it to good effect.

Really difficult opponent to play against and the number of goals scored was a huge bonus.

Didn't the story go that Cotts bumped into him whilst in a gym on his hols in Dubai? Asked him if he fancied it and the rest is history?

Marvelous signing for us.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Shaun Taylor is another who was similar to Wilbs.

I remember when he played for Swindle with that stupid headband and i thought he was a bit of a liability.

When we signed him at the age of 34 (IIRC), I honestly thought it was going to be a disaster.

He turned out to be one of the best bits of business we have ever done and is still one of my favourite players to have worn the shirt!

Edited by Edgy Red
Spelling
  • Like 7

Everything I heard during his time here was the enormous influence he had off the pitch (Bloody excellent on it too) , the leadership , ensuring standards ,and being a , or the major factor for the team social interaction that created that incredible bond , that was developed amongst that squad.

Absolutely Top Top Bloke for me

Ticked every box you’d hope for in a City player 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Amusingly, the other 'underwhelming' signing that immediately springs to mind is Matt Smith, who was brought in as cover when Wilbraham was injured during that 2014-15 season and also sparked a pretty scathing reaction.

He scored 13 in 20 games for us.

I remember the “Matt Smith is awful” thread after his first game. Admittedly he was a bit rusty but it soon changed for the better 

I remember signing Peter Beadle made feel a bit sick at the time, but his performance in the game against the other lot with an assist and a goal (which he enthusiasticly celebrated!) made him a hero in my eyes at least 😂

10 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not linked so don’t panic!

Seen city posted the two goals he scored vs Forest in 2015. Got me thinking… has there every been a more underwhelming signing that has actually transpired to be an absolute hero.

Would love a prime Wilbs in this squad right now.

Jon Stead. I was so meh, when he signed. But he was so good for us!

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I remember the “Matt Smith is awful” thread after his first game. Admittedly he was a bit rusty but it soon changed for the better 

I remember sitting behind a guy in what is now the Lansdown during the refurb, who started moaning about him from the kick off. He missed a couple of chances and was clearly not even close to match fitness, but he kept going and scored. When he was subbed, this idiot still had the audacity to stand up and boo him off the pitch. I told him straight what I thought of him and where he should stick his "support". 

A few weeks later I saw him walking to a seat in a different part of the stand and he sheepishly gave me a thumbs up. :)

• Like 2

Gives off similar vibes to Peter crouch I feel, when you look at him you just don’t expect him to be good at football which is probably why many of his transfers have been deemed “underwhelming”.

But quite easily one of my favourite players for city, absolute hero.

1 hour ago, Dizz said:

I remember signing Peter Beadle made feel a bit sick at the time, but his performance in the game against the other lot with an assist and a goal (which he enthusiasticly celebrated!) made him a hero in my eyes at least 😂

Overall he was abysmal, very few goals for a lot of wages & injured virtually all of his last season.

Absolutely light years away from the signing of Wilbraham, who was brilliant.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Overall he was abysmal, very few goals for a lot of wages & injured virtually all of his last season.

Absolutely light years away from the signing of Wilbraham, who was brilliant.

I always had a soft spot for Peter Beadle because I thought he brought the best out in players like Christian Roberts... but looking back his record really was pretty rubbish, wasn't it?!

That said, he played in the 5-4 at Mansfield and I'll always love that team.

Always remember him being decent on an old championship manager game from the late 90's whilst at Stockport and kept an eye on his career since then. 

I had feeling he'd be a decent signing for us but didn't expect him to score so many! 

• Like 2