IGNORED

Aaron Wilbraham

Maybe not in the hero category but I thought Adam Locke was a great signing on a free transfer from Colchester, and I am not sure anyone knew what we were getting when we forked out £80,000 to Boston for David Noble.

Edited by AG City
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I always had a soft spot for Peter Beadle because I thought he brought the best out in players like Christian Roberts... but looking back his record really was pretty rubbish, wasn't it?!

That said, he played in the 5-4 at Mansfield and I'll always love that team.

Terrible & I believe Pulis offered him terms that alongside those of Steve Jones, were eye watering for League One.

8 minutes ago, AG City said:

Maybe not in the hero category but I thought Adam Locke was a great signing on a free transfer from Colchester, and I am not sure anyone knew what we were getting when we forked out £80,000 to Boston for David Noble.

Behind Gerry Gow David Noble is the best player that I’ve seen in a City shirt. Incredibly skilled with quick feet and a goal in him - who can forget the screamer he scored at Palace. Nice guy as well

Shame that his obvious talent was seriously underused. He could and should have become a City legend.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I always had a soft spot for Peter Beadle because I thought he brought the best out in players like Christian Roberts... but looking back his record really was pretty rubbish, wasn't it?!

That said, he played in the 5-4 at Mansfield and I'll always love that team.

He’s a VERY big lad now is mr Beadle!

• Haha 1

I will never forget that Bolton night game when Wilbs came on as a sub for them and the entire ground stood up and applauded him on to the pitch. It made me so proud to be a City fan at that moment. True class from our fans.

It reminded me of when the legend that is Glyn Riley came back to AG with Aldershot and the same thing happened.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I will never forget that Bolton night game when Wilbs came on as a sub for them and the entire ground stood up and applauded him on to the pitch. It made me so proud to be a City fan at that moment. True class from our fans.

It reminded me of when the legend that is Glyn Riley came back to AG with Aldershot and the same thing happened.

Wilbs said one of his teammates asked him after the game “what did you do there, win the World Cup?”

Brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The ref got booed by the AG crowd when Wilbs got himself booked 😆

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t on here then, but I do recall a text from a mutual mate of @Harry on the eve of that Forest game saying it was a joke that he was playing in the champ!

And then the bbc used this photo on their website the next day with me resembling a crab!!

IMG_0496.thumb.jpeg.195b80a32756fe1db8142dd0191e1fa4.jpeg

The following afternoon headed into Cabot and whilst stood outside Smiggle (wife and daughter inside shopping) I found myself stood next to Alby, his wife and daughter inside the shop too!!!

Had a lovely natter with him.

As a player he reminded me of Joe Jordan, which is a big compliment!

Hi Dave - first post after many years of reading, so here goes!

That picture always brings back very happy memories but with a tinge of sadness - that’s me and dad in his wheel chair sat next to you. Dad’s no longer around, but we used that picture on his order of service when he died and there’s a framed copy on my office wall.

He first went to AG in 1943 and didn’t miss too many home games during the 74 years he followed the City.

Clearly Wilbs’ goal meant more to you than it did to me or dad though!!! 😀

• Like 4
  • Robin 8

1 hour ago, MagicRat said:

Hi Dave - first post after many years of reading, so here goes!

That picture always brings back very happy memories but with a tinge of sadness - that’s me and dad in his wheel chair sat next to you. Dad’s no longer around, but we used that picture on his order of service when he died and there’s a framed copy on my office wall.

He first went to AG in 1943 and didn’t miss too many home games during the 74 years he followed the City.

Clearly Wilbs’ goal meant more to you than it did to me or dad though!!! 😀

Really nice to hear from you, I hope you’re well?  I seem to recall you somehow managed to get hold of me when your dad passed away and I think I put something on here to let fans know.  I used to really enjoy that little corner of the south stand.

Unfortunately Andy on the other side of you passed away last season, but his dad Steve still comes along from time to time.

Take care, and if you do come to any games, pop into Section A4 Lansdown and say hi - Rob, Ian and Dave still sit with us.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

On 23/01/2024 at 23:47, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t on here then, but I do recall a text from a mutual mate of @Harry on the eve of that Forest game saying it was a joke that he was playing in the champ!

And then the bbc used this photo on their website the next day with me resembling a crab!!

The following afternoon headed into Cabot and whilst stood outside Smiggle (wife and daughter inside shopping) I found myself stood next to Alby, his wife and daughter inside the shop too!!!

That's what you look like!

In my eyes he's up there with legends at this club, we'd not won a league title for generations. He was really our de-facto leader on the pitch when W.Elliott got injured. Absolute class act whilst at City and totally professional until the very end.

This club always does well with underwhelming 'big' strikers - Brooker, Adebola, Stead, Wilbraham and Martin I thought were all pretty good players for us.

• Like 3

On 23/01/2024 at 23:47, Davefevs said:

You look like you're celebrating after pinching off a loaf.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wilbs said one of his teammates asked him after the game “what did you do there, win the World Cup?”

Brilliant.

As one would expect of Wilbs he didn`t do social media so he contacted Aden Flint the next day to ask if he would put a message out to say thanks to the fans and how overwhelmed he was by the reaction and couldn`t believe it was happening.

• Like 2