IGNORED

Dire Mebude signed on loan - CONFIRMED

westonred

I’m hoping - with his self proclaimed attributes of pace/power/flair that he can replace some of the threat we lost when Semenyo left.

We’ve missed genuine pace, and if he can also replace some of Semenyo’s strength and athleticism that would be fantastic.

I’d never heard of him until last night - so no idea on his ability; just what he’s said about his style of play. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Born in Kent, moved to Glasgow when he was 8, but has a Mancunian accent. This urgently needs investigating imo 

Loads of the kids who come from all over the place to Man City’s and United's academies end up with Manc accents. If you ever hear Paul Pogba speak English there's a Manc twang in there.

8 hours ago, Fuber said:

Gist of it. We were stable.

I prefer underpromising and overachieving. No we've lined up four signings (Mebude, Murphy, Stokes, Bird) for next season in what looks to be a changing of the guard, TGH clause activated. Twine TBD

No money remember, but if sources are correct, between the first five of the above, we're talking £3m+ spent.

Just grates of what could have been, this season. Now we have to see for next, instead, outside of something utterly remarkable and out of nowhere.

Were we stable, though?

It would seem that there was a serious breakdown in trust and relationships between the senior management of the club. That’s not stable. In fact, that’s the most risky level of instability for any organisation.

And one symptom of that lack of trust, and manifestation of that risk, is inherent in the point you make about the money. The mistrust led to there being no money made available. Now that the trust is back the money is there, and that’s surely good for the club’s future.

I know what you’ll say, and appreciate that there are all sorts of views and speculation about the rights and wrongs of the breakdown, and no doubt most would say they’d prefer to have kept NP and lost JL! But that’s not really the point. Whatever the rights and wrongs were, losing JL was never going to happen, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

And in the longer term interest of the club, getting that resolved was crucial, not least because it now gives us that stability at the top of the club. 

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Definitely not.

We were building but NP was starved of funds somewhat...We cut the wage and amortisation, stayed up, style had 3-4 phases of team tactics which finally finished with a 4-3-3 and over the last year especially improving baseline stats. 

Scott sadly had to go but things were definitely until the Autumn injury crisis trending in the right direction, injuries stalled us somewhat.

I was only quoting what the seagull said was the plan. 
He said the plan was to not get relegated and that it was clear for all of us to see. 
Yet by the same token he thought that under Pearson we could make the playoffs? 
So I’m unsure exactly what the plan was that he is referring to. Was it to avoid relegation or was it to make playoffs? 

But I believe he also refers to the plan as being a team set up to counter attack and win through grit and determination (and all those intangibles). 

I don’t think that sort of plan will get you promoted from this league.
A counter attacking team will get you some great results away from home but it won’t make your home form any sort of fortress (and its home form that will carry you the most points and be the base from which a promotion push is built). As I’ve always said, the home form needs to improve and without that we won’t go anywhere. So that plan doesn’t work.
Yes, it’s great that under Pearson’s tenure he established a gritty, determined team ethic. But if that was the only plan then it won’t work without increased confidence in possession and the sprinkling of some stardust too. And I firmly believe that Manning is in the process of creating that extra something that we’d need to marry up with the grit and determination. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Were we stable, though?

It would seem that there was a serious breakdown in trust and relationships between the senior management of the club. That’s not stable. In fact, that’s the most risky level of instability for any organisation.

And one symptom of that lack of trust, and manifestation of that risk, is inherent in the point you make about the money. The mistrust led to there being no money made available. Now that the trust is back the money is there, and that’s surely good for the club’s future.

I know what you’ll say, and appreciate that there are all sorts of views and speculation about the rights and wrongs of the breakdown, and no doubt most would say they’d prefer to have kept NP and lost JL! But that’s not really the point. Whatever the rights and wrongs were, losing JL was never going to happen, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

And in the longer term interest of the club, getting that resolved was crucial, not least because it now gives us that stability at the top of the club. 

I'm not arguing with your points and Nige obviously engineered the whole situation into a "back me or sack me" scenario (which he was entitled to do). However, I'm not sure that having the "stability" of Jon and Sid running the operation and issuing the soundbites is quite the definition of stability many of us were hoping for.........

On the one hand I will give them credit for the Max Bird transfer (i.e. finding a way to beat the competition) but on the other they really are hamstrung by those silly, stupid "top end", "better chance of success" comments. It is so easy to point out that what they did with Bird goes against the general principles behind the sacking of Nige. Let's be fair we aren't signing Max Bird to strengthen next seasons Premier League midfield are we?

Everything is screaming "next season" and everyone from Liam Manning upwards (whether it's fair on Liam or not is irrelevant, blame the hierarchy) will be under pressure from even the fair minded fans who have finally had their fill of Steve's "regime" to deliver something significantly better than 13-17th in the table, let alone the nutters who just think you can throw a few quid at it and off you go.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, TheJudge07 said:

Good luck to the lad, but our strategy is all over the place. The kid looks like a winger .... which is fine except we havent been playing with them.  He also hasnt broken through in Belgium so the question is why? i dont care what he has done at Youth Level. Seb Palmer Holden has scored loads of goals but is on loan and not near the first team. 

we have signed 5 players. 1 is injured, 2 are coming next season, 1 is a work in progress and this chap is unproven. we really need to improve the first 11 now and sadly we havent done it .... again!!!

I'll probably get shot down for this but my opinion is that this season was already written off a while back. The hierarchy wouldn't say this publicly of course they wouldn't. However, if you do business in a January transfer window and immediately loan them back it only confirms this. Bird would be ready and good enough to play in the Championship now and Stokes, although untested at this level would have the ideal opportunity to be given minutes in a team that is unlikely to be in a relegation battle or top 6.

Bird looks like we decided to go for now rather than chance a fight for him when his contract is up in the summer. I'm sure Derby liked the idea of having him back on loan with a tilt promotion and that may have been what got us the player. The same with Stokes given that Aldershot have a chance of promotion as well. 

I'm ok with the Mebude signing but he hasn't been signed to propel us in to the top 6 this season and neither have any of the others. The Twine one is the one that baffles me because unless Burnley stay up, I can't see any way he will be a City player next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

8 pages to mention the dynamic duo 

It's getting better lads!

A good window in the end but we're already too far back. In points and places, depth and competition..7 pts off WBA having played a game more, 6 off Coventry with them in outstanding form.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not arguing with your points and Nige obviously engineered the whole situation into a "back me or sack me" scenario (which he was entitled to do). However, I'm not sure that having the "stability" of Jon and Sid running the operation and issuing the soundbites is quite the definition of stability many of us were hoping for.........

On the one hand I will give them credit for the Max Bird transfer (i.e. finding a way to beat the competition) but on the other they really are hamstrung by those silly, stupid "top end", "better chance of success" comments. It is so easy to point out that what they did with Bird goes against the general principles behind the sacking of Nige. Let's be fair we aren't signing Max Bird to strengthen next seasons Premier League midfield are we?

Everything is screaming "next season" and everyone from Liam Manning upwards (whether it's fair on Liam or not is irrelevant, blame the hierarchy) will be under pressure from even the fair minded fans who have finally had their fill of Steve's "regime" to deliver something significantly better than 13-17th in the table, let alone the nutters who just think you can throw a few quid at it and off you go.

Yep, all fair points, and wouldn't disagree.

Personally, I don't think they handled the comms well: I'd have rather they were honest about it - but maybe there were reasons not to. But they certainly came out with some bluff and bullshit!

But it should - in the longer term - be good for the club to not have that level of mistrust at the top. And next season will be telling in terms of whether that 'should' is becoming 'will'! I'm not expecting miracles, but I'd certainly expect us the be at least challenging, and to be playing some good football. As always, it's about being realistic (as you say) and also about some things outside our control. Who goes up/comes down will play a part. Being able to keep a stable squad and starting XI too. But I'm hopeful!!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Were we stable, though?

Caused by the board deciding to change leadership structure after Gould left, resultant in Alexander being sacked only months into his position, then Pearson as a consequence as they had to deal with a more 'honest' individual directly.

The instability came from above NP.

I'd have preferred it if Alexander was kept in post rather than the inexperienced front we have now - as would've meant less turnover. But we're here now, so...

For the second part in bold - stability matters naught without some ability.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Caused by the board deciding to change leadership structure after Gould left, resultant in Alexander being sacked only months into his position, then Pearson as a consequence as they had to deal with a more 'honest' individual directly.

The instability came from above NP.

I'd have preferred it if Alexander was kept in post rather than the inexperienced front we have now - as would've meant less turnover. But we're here now, so...

For the second part in bold - stability matters naught without some ability.

As I said, you can argue all you want about the rights and wrongs of what was behind it - doesn't alter the fact that's where we ended up - and it needed resolving.

Second part - of course not, but it works both ways, and starts at the top!

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Decent window in the end but we're already too far back. In points and places, depth and competition..7 pts off WBA having played a game more, 6 off Coventry with them in outstanding form.

Well you never know.. we were in touch at the end of Dec when we smashed Watford.. then inexplicably we imploded over the following two to three weeks in the league. A good run however unlikely it may seem could have us back in the hunt.  For all their outstanding form, Coventry didn’t look that impressive the other night.

What we should be getting in the next week is a “window review” from Tinnion.  Recruitment in / out is a huge focus of his role, and we’ve just gone through a month where his role gets to execute the plan.  In that “review” I think he should also be starting to sew the seeds of what the summer window might look like.  I’d like to hear from Tom Rawcliffe too, get the financial angle on the window too.  Not how much, when, but how he fits into the jigsaw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m hoping - with his self proclaimed attributes of pace/power/flair that he can replace some of the threat we lost when Semenyo left.

We’ve missed genuine pace, and if he can also replace some of Semenyo’s strength and athleticism that would be fantastic.

I’d never heard of him until last night - so no idea on his ability; just what he’s said about his style of play. 

Brilliant point, goes under the radar how much we have missed Antonine, his pace and power and ability to scare teams was so valuable and we have lacked that thrust massively.

if he can match some of those attributes then no doubt it will open up the game for Tommy playing as one way more too

3 hours ago, One Team said:

Scotland football fans adopted this didn’t they?

TBF it does fit perfectly:

Oh, yes Sir, Dire Mebude 
But I need a certain goal
Dire Mebude, bude bude, all night long
Yes Sir, Dire Mebude
If you stay, we can't go wrong
Dire Mebude, bude bude, all night long

I’m not one to comment on songs normally, but as opposed to trying to jimmy into new songs, surely the obvious call here is that his name fits perfectly into the Tom Thumb song?

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Brilliant post. I think some people just look for negatives in literally everything the club does.  I’ve never heard of the Man City lad but hope beyond doubt that he’s a success but if he isn’t, the same old will be saying should have tried Yeboah or Nelson and saved the money.  I’m no happy clapper but the constant point scoring is becoming tedious. 

Can you not see that there is a feeling of mistrust about the club? It's only people like you that considers it point scoring. 

We've brought in a player that can play in positions that we are already very well stocked in. 

We have -

Conway

Wells

Cornick

Bell

Mehmeti

Sykes

Twine

Yeboah

And now Mebude. 

I'm excited to see this lad play. However isn't it legitimate to question why we've brought him in when we are already well stocked in the positions he plays? 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Can you not see that there is a feeling of mistrust about the club? It's only people like you that considers it point scoring. 

We've brought in a player that can play in positions that we are already very well stocked in. 

We have -

Conway

Wells

Cornick

Bell

Mehmeti

Sykes

Twine

Yeboah

And now Mebude. 

I'm excited to see this lad play. However isn't it legitimate to question why we've brought him in when we are already well stocked in the positions he plays? 

The only first team player who you’ve listed who plays the same position as Medube is Sykes. 
Medube is a right winger. 
Twine is a 10. 
Mehmeti is a left winger. 
Yeboah is a youth player. 
The rest are strikers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We have -

Conway

Wells

Cornick

Bell

Mehmeti

Sykes

Twine

Yeboah

And now Mebude. 

So next season will we have all of them iyo?

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, the big question will be how much that option is for, especially at they paid circa £1.65m for him just 6 months ago on a 4 year contract.

Appearances wise it hasn’t worked out there.

You wonder with his older brother in Belgium whether that was the attraction, albeit different club (100miles away)

Been busy tonight but did spend a “few minutes” watching clips from Westerlo.  I don’t take tonnes of notice of YouTube highlights, especially of Academy stuff, because it’s hard to judge levels.  So I watched some warts n all stuff, no filters, just every action, with, without, winning the ball, losing the ball, etc.

FWIW I didn’t see anything too special.  But that’s not to say he won’t be.  He looked a bit lost in “senior football” stuck predominantly on the left wing, a bit uncommitted in the challenge.  He looked like an Academy player getting his first taste of senior football…which of course he was.  He certainly didn’t look powerful.

Funnily enough, Tammy looked like a gangly Crouch-like youth in some stuff I watched of him, but the boy was a man by the time he stepped onto the pitch against Wigan.  He’d bulked up from the previous season.

But it will be what he does in a City shirt that matters.

Seeing as he trained yesterday (assume in the morning) it wouldn’t surprise me if they might’ve registered him before midday.  We will see.

In fairness to Ian, when I spoke to him as we readied for the pod on Wednesday I asked him if he knew the name of the incoming players.  I wasn’t asking him to give me the names.  He could’ve easily said “Dave, yes of course I know but I can’t tell you”, but he actually said “no, I don’t, just the details / positions he put in tweets”.  It was very unlike Ian.

When I was watching his first day videos I did wonder about his eligibility for tonight's game. He can be heard saying he arrived on Wednesday night? And then he's training which I presume is in the morning? So would seem weird if he wasn't registered before 12. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We have -

Conway

Wells

Cornick

Bell

Mehmeti

Sykes

Twine

Yeboah

And now Mebude. 

1. No they don’t all play the same position, only two of them are a natural RW in Mark Sykes who is currently injured and Sam Bell who hasn’t performed to his previous standards. 

2. Even with that number of attacking players our chance creation, scoring, crossing ability is all relatively poor. 

If we are being honest with ourselves, Cornick looks like a panic signing from last year with no part of his game being deemed first team quality. Mehmeti is incredibly inconsistent, good technicals but lacks the game iq to employ them correctly. Bell has regressed since we’ve switched from a predominantly counter attacking set up, doesn’t mean he’s bad but will take time to learn the system that Manning wants to play.

Conway and Wells are both out and our strikers so that’s a moot point. Same with Twine who is predominantly an attacking midfielder. And Yeboah is 17. 

Strength in numbers ≠ strength in quality. 

• Like 1