IGNORED

Dire Mebude signed on loan - CONFIRMED

westonred

32 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Bringing in a head coach to better coach our players to make them out perform their ability and then instead of doing that they sign a player in a position that we don't really need another player unless of course the injuries to Sykes and Twine are more serious than has been let on. 

But it's not instead of. You can do both. Do you really think it's that black and white?

Regards the second part, @Harry has already replied to you on this, but I don't think you've acknowledged. 

Edited by Bob Turnip
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

Sorry but because his last game was a friendly how does that make him one for the future and not better than what we have to push us on this season? 

Because other than the Man City U21s, he’s only ever made 3 appearances for a mediocre Belgian team. His last game being 48 mins several weeks ago in a friendly match. Do you honestly think he will just walk straight into our team and propel us up the league table?  What are you smoking? 

50 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

Sorry, are you saying you disagree with the concept of bringing in players that improve us? And that if we do that we don't bother coaching? It's not one or the other!

The Seagull is blinded by his love for Nige. 
He thinks that because we now have Liam in that we don’t need to sign any more players and that the academy kids should all be ‘coached up’ to top level championship players. 

He conveniently forgets that Nigel signed the following players :

Danny Simpson, Matty James, Andy King, Rob Atkinson, Timm Klose, Duncan Idehen, George Tanner, Tim ApSion, Ben Acey, Ewan Clark, Kane Wilson, Kal Naismith, Mark Sykes, Stefan Bajic, Nikita Haikin, Anis Mehmeti, Harry Cornick, Rob Dickie, Ross McCrorie, Haydon Roberts, Jason Knight, Taylor GardnerHickman & Lewis Thomas. 

I can only assume that he thinks that none of those players should have been signed because we should have ‘coached up’ the academy lads and that we should now be starting with Zac Bell, Araoye, KnightLebel, Kadji, Casa Grande, Leeson, Rose, Yeboah, Joseph James, Nelson etc etc. 

So yeah, I’m pretty sure the Seagull thinks that having hired Manning we shouldn’t have to sign any more players ever again. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

What he does here that counts, and as I said, direct from Man City it’s probably more exciting. The Belgian spell tempers that a bit so it’s about seeing what he can do in his loan period.

I do enjoy your contributions to debates, SD, but I'm glad I'm not the one buying you your birthday presents.  You seem the sort of fella that even when you get the moon on a stick, you'd have some nagging concern about getting a splinter, potentially gangrene, and worse case scenario even losing an arm. 😉

Edited by Red Skin
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

I do enjoy your contributions to debates, SD, but I'm glad I'm not the one buying you your birthday presents.  You seem the sort of fella that even when you get the moon on a stick, you'd have some nagging concern about getting a splinter, potentially gangrene, and worse case scenario even losing an arm. 😉

In fairness, the moon on a stick sounds like a pretty shit present.

Annual Subscription to Power BI or Wyscout with unlimited video, now you’re taking! 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness, the moon on a stick sounds like a pretty shit present.

Annual Subscription to Power BI or Wyscout with unlimited video, now you’re taking! 

In that case, it'd be eye strain, RSI, or AFS (analysis fatigue syndrome). 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Because other than the Man City U21s, he’s only ever made 3 appearances for a mediocre Belgian team. His last game being 48 mins several weeks ago in a friendly match. Do you honestly think he will just walk straight into our team and propel us up the league table?  What are you smoking? 

In theory all are for the future aren't they? The way your initial post was worded I read it as he won't be getting in the squad at all because he only played a friendly as his last appearance. His last game was last Monday according to himself, that's certainly not several weeks ago. I also never said he would walk straight into the team and propel us up the league. Just because he hasn't played all these professional games it doesn't mean he won't make us better, it also doesn't mean he will. 

Out of interest how many professional games did Tammy play for Chelsea before coming here on loan, and did he improve us in your opinion? 

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

He thinks that because we now have Liam in that we don’t need to sign any more players and that the academy kids should all be ‘coached up’ to top level championship players. 

Danny Simpson, Matty James, Andy King, Rob Atkinson, Timm Klose, Duncan Idehen, George Tanner, Tim ApSion, Ben Acey, Ewan Clark, Kane Wilson, Kal Naismith, Mark Sykes, Stefan Bajic, Nikita Haikin, Anis Mehmeti, Harry Cornick, Rob Dickie, Ross McCrorie, Haydon Roberts, Jason Knight, Taylor GardnerHickman & Lewis Thomas. 

I can only assume that he thinks that none of those players should have been signed because we should have ‘coached up’ the academy lads and that we should now be starting with Zac Bell, Araoye, KnightLebel, Kadji, Casa Grande, Leeson, Rose, Yeboah, Joseph James, Nelson etc etc. 

So yeah, I’m pretty sure the Seagull thinks that having hired Manning we shouldn’t have to sign any more players ever again. 

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any chance the Seagull is Nige (or a close friend or relative)?

I honestly think if we had signed Erling Haaland and/or Kevin de Bruyne on loan that would be wrong in some posters' views:

• because Nige wasn't given those funds;
  • because they won't be our player when the loan expires;
  • because they won't fit in with the Liam Manning/Brian Tinnion [delete whichever suits your argument] style of play;
  • because they will block the pathway of a wunderkind playing for our under 16s;
  • because Manning inherited a "top 6 squad" and therefore doesn't need any new signings;
  • because it's inconsistent with some random off-the-cuff comment from Tinnion or a Lansdown that the poster will remember and hold them to for ever and ever;
  • because some or all of the above means WE WERE LIED TO;
  • or lots of similar reasons but you get the gist
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, kidjupiter said:

Never saw much of Akinbiyi, but I gather he was a little more of a target man/centre forward than we've seen of Mebude so far - more about hold up play and physicality, while Mebude seems to be more a dribbler.

Welcome back!

14 minutes ago, red panda said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any chance the Seagull is Nige (or a close friend or relative)?

I honestly think if we had signed Erling Haaland and/or Kevin de Bruyne on loan that would be wrong in some posters' views:

• because they won't fit in with the Liam Manning/Brian Tinnion [delete whichever suits your argument] style of play;
  • because they will block the pathway of a wunderkind playing for our under 16s;
  • because Manning inherited a "top 6 squad" and therefore doesn't need any new signings;
  • because it's inconsistent with some random off-the-cuff comment from Tinnion or a Lansdown that the poster will remember and hold them to for ever and ever;

Perhaps the Seagull should stick to nicking unwary tourist's Chips on the Grand Pier?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, red panda said:

Great list.... thanks!!

I'd actually forgot one or two of those. All of those very relevant in my view especially the one in capitals..... WE WERE LIED TO.

thanks again.....

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Looks like just 3 senior career appearances, all in Belgium thus far. Just an observation, not a criticism, 3 more senior appearances than Tammy had!

Hope it works, but just to make the point that Tammy hadnt been discarded by a major epl club when we took him on loan.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Yeah they’ve said it but not stated anywhere else, just feels a bit odd.  

Might be because Man City have a buy-back clause so they have first refusal so we may not have wanted to say anything about it publicly in case Man City decided to bring him back. 

But I couldn’t imagine Westerloo have put that on the website and it being wrong especially if it’s still up there now. 

13 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Hope it works, but just to make the point that Tammy hadnt been discarded by a major epl club when we took him on loan.

Yea his ceiling is likely below Tammy's (incoming jokes about his living situation) but everyone has to start somewhere. Also - Chelsea moved on a young Salah and KDB. Club's get it wrong A LOT. Hyperbolic example but you get my point :D 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yeah they’ve said it but not stated anywhere else, just feels a bit odd. 

I saw on a search, assumed that was their official site so I took the as Gospel ( As per Robored instructions )

2 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Just watched the interview with Dire where he suggested that his last game was a friendly match two weeks ago.  I know people are getting excited, but seems like he’s one for the future. Realistically he’s not going to come in and push us into the playoffs 

The only way he is for the future is if Mannings contacts, or Manning himself , thinks there is a top player in there. It would make sense with an 'option to buy' . A loan would give LM a chance to have a good look .
Otherwise a loan is an odd move . 
They may well think , as he hasn't hit the heights and forced his way into the team, he may be available at a decent (reduced?)  price.
His GpG through age football etc is around 1 in 2 , so not bad . For context , Tammy got around 74 in 98 in youth levels. 

As for a striker to push us on to the Playoffs , I don't think there was ever a chance of that, not with budgets/ffp etc.
We may still have a decent/good season , IMO that would involve better supply rather than a good striker coming in.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

You, as much as anyone should know that Nigel didn't actually sign the large majority of those players. They would have been ones the club had been watching for a while and who's names would have been put forward to Nigel as possible signings if he wanted them. No way did he personally scout them and insist on signing them.

In the same way the Manning was brought in as Head Coach so should have even less of a say over players brought in. Surely his remit is to coach the players presented to him and pick the team on a match day. In the same way that Swansea worked for years, the Head Coach is only there to maintain the style of play adopted by the club and improve players within that framework.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

You, as much as anyone should know that Nigel didn't actually sign the large majority of those players. They would have been ones the club had been watching for a while and who's names would have been put forward to Nigel as possible signings if he wanted them. No way did he personally scout them and insist on signing them.

In the same way the Manning was brought in as Head Coach so should have even less of a say over players brought in. Surely his remit is to coach the players presented to him and pick the team on a match day. In the same way that Swansea worked for years, the Head Coach is only there to maintain the style of play adopted by the club and improve players within that framework.

So it's pure coincidence that Twine ended up here??

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

How many do/have Chelsea discarded though.

How long was Kalas out on loans before actually being sold, he was their longest serving player wasn't he at one point with absolutely no chance of playing for them. A few years ago they had around 45 players out on loan. 

Man City getting rid of youngsters with the buy back is a completely different model to Chelsea keeping hold of a huge amount of theirs.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

I don’t think he can be trusted. He definitely said 90 mins when asked in the video. 

Doesn't he say in the video that the friendly "wasn't last Monday, but the Monday before"? Given that the video was filmed this week, he'd be on about a game on 22nd January then, a different one to what @Davefevs has mentioned.

Or am I due a whoosh now? 🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Doesn't he say in the video that the friendly "wasn't last Monday, but the Monday before"? Given that the video was filmed this week, he'd be on about a game on 22nd January then, a different one to what @Davefevs has mentioned.

Or am I due a whoosh now? 🤔

That's how I interpreted it, hence my questioning the "several weeks" by one poster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I've got to say, the togetherness of the squad looks really good at the moment doesn't it.  I'm genuinely looking forward to the future (how many times have I said that).  

Yes Tommy looks made up for him to be here! Plus Dire looks chuffed to be here too!