IGNORED

Bell and Mehmeti - sell please

Shauntaylor85

Just now, The Bard said:

Sorry, he played RWB for Aberdeen and a lot was made of his versatility.  He was woeful last night.  Looked like he just wanted to have an argument/fight with someone.  

I’m not saying he didn’t play it but if you read or listen to his interviews he has himself stated that Right back is his preferred position.

Didn’t particularly see him wanting to argue/fight with people but if that was indeed true then at least somebody showed some fight last night 

Listening to the tins interview King,James will be gone. Williams not sure he will get a new deal. Wells, Nailsmith and Cornick could be gone, hasn't worked out for the latter. Mehmeti good player in there somewhere but is the championship a step to high. Bell get him out on a season loan he could come good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I understand the frustrations with Mehmeti, but at least there is clear talent there. Mehmeti has the raw technical ability, but as you say, lacks positional and tactical understanding etc. However, the elements Mehmeti lacks are elements that can be coached. For that reason, I'd be inclined to stick with Mehmeti and try to unlock the potential.

Bell, conversely, doesn't appear to have that same raw ability that Mehmeti does. My view is the same as yours, he will likely regress to a lower level.  For me, the distinction between the two is that Mehmeti has the potential to become a very dangerous player with the right coaching, whereas Bell doesn't.

Mehmeti is "frustrating". Bell is just....."not very good".

FWIW, I absolutely don't think Bell is a better option than Mehmeti currently. Quite the opposite in fact.

To give a slightly off base comparison, there’s a bit of Mehmeti that reminds me of Eliasson. There is something there but the game awareness is so far away that the positives you do get are outweighed by the team impact. (I often quote that NE made loads of tackles but that was because his positioning was bad to start with). NE was a better player than AM, but even after years, the aspect that caused concern didn’t improve.

I was just relooking through the signing thread for Anis, and it was undoubtedly viewed as a positive signing. @Harry and @Kid in the Riot who both know their onions had watched him, rated him and were really excited by the signing. I’d be interested to hear their views as to where he sits in respect of expectations, what he’s not doing here that he was at Wycombe and what the way forward is for him. That might be as simple as he’s not this level, or we’re just the wrong club/wrong system.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s similar to the point I made in the “disengaged” thread - he’s flailing, they’re flailing and it’s another attempt for the narrative to be “things are going well” despite things being the contrary.

To be honest I don’t overly blame Tinnion - it’s definitely a Bristol Sport thing. If you look at the comms around the BS3 live event (example below) that illustrates that. It’s permeated the organisation and my guess is it emanates from Jon’s insecurities (which is why we get batshit decision after decision a la kit)

Top down….remember Mark Kelly’s reply to my tweet a while back?

5 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’d argue that Bell looked more of a threat coming off the left than on the right.

Both Mehmeti and Bell will look to cut in from the left onto their right foot and who has had the most success doing that ? Definitely Bell.

He also has the pace to get down the line and at least make an effort to cross which Mehmeti doesn’t.

For me Bell is a better option than Mehmeti on the left.

Not so sure on that. Recall most of Bell’s goals coming from set pieces and getting some luck with loose ball dropping to him. Certainly do not remember him cutting in and scoring. Not that Mehmeti does it well but do think he is more of a threat to score from it. Bell often lazily goes left and clips a very uninspiring cross in with his left. Show me Bell’s goals cutting in and scoring. Even his goals in the cup last season weren’t that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

In new lad, do you mean Ross McCrorie ? If so then it’s strange to help him settle in we’ve played him as a RWB instead of a conventional right back which he himself has stated is his best position.

playing square pegs in round holes is not helping and I’m afraid there is far too much of that going on at the moment.

No the new lad from Belgium

7 hours ago, Street red said:

Pearson only played bell at rwb because we had no right side players then he moved him to left and was a different player once tanner was back. Now Mannings here we have two fit right sided players but still plays bell rwb I just don't understand stand it.Bell was class under Pearson.

Can only put it down to Manning not having a clue what he’s doing. Same argument can me made with Knight also being played out of position. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

To be fair to Bell, in the new formation, whenever he gets a run out it’s at wingback… he isn’t a wingback!

Again, this is a clear example of Manning having no plan b. Even when chasing a game, the changes he makes are like for like even if that means putting players out of position.

Not saying Bell is the answer, wouldn’t be disappointed to see him leave. Also wouldn’t surprise me to see him end up like Wes Burns and doing well for another club.

True but he isn’t a striker or a winger either, which begs the question what position or role will he carve out a career at this level? 

6 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Burns is a starter for Ipswich who are likely to get promoted out of our league.

I know, but when he left here, he wasn’t good enough to at that point get into our starting 11. & how many years ago did he leave? So do we hang on to players who are not good enough at that point, in the hope that 5-10 years later, they’re good enough? Remember, last season, Burns was a league one player & now is in a Championship promotion chasing team. This isn’t me slating Burns, my point is, how long do we wait for them to be ‘good enough’. COYR

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I really liked Wes, but I’m no expert. 

This isn’t me having a pop at Burns, he’s obviously developed well & fair play to the lad. I’m just saying, how long ago did he leave? & it’s taken this long to get to where we aspire to be, chasing promotion. Do we wait that long for players to develop? COYR 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Listening to the tins interview King,James will be gone. Williams not sure he will get a new deal. Wells, Nailsmith and Cornick could be gone, hasn't worked out for the latter. Mehmeti good player in there somewhere but is the championship a step to high. Bell get him out on a season loan he could come good.

Agree except about Bell looks like a schoolboy against men too gentle and too nice .

• Like 1

Maybe it will come in time but with Mehmeti I just don’t trust that in that critical moment he’ll deliver the right pass, cross or shot 

He’s clearly talented and shown the odd glimpse but across 90 minutes he miles off having a consistent impact

When Tommy slipped him in last night I didn’t even flinch or brace to celebrate as in that split second I didn’t think he’d score when for almost everyone else I’d be half way standing up

So for me I think he needs to move on

Hard to judge with Bell, he’s been played right back, right wing back, left wing and right wing…and he’s supposed to be a striker.  

I think the Wes Burns comparison is probably a fair one so on that basis keep him a bit longer 😂

39 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

This isn’t me having a pop at Burns, he’s obviously developed well & fair play to the lad. I’m just saying, how long ago did he leave? & it’s taken this long to get to where we aspire to be, chasing promotion. Do we wait that long for players to develop? COYR 

no I know. We could say the same for lots of players who have left. 

And whether we are able to develop players to their best?

7 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Yeah although interestingly Joe’s name was the only one mentioned separately from James and King ie. We’ll see how he does. He didn’t say that about either James or King. 

I'm in absolute shock at the criticism of Mehmeti, I think he's developing into a standout player in the squad. When he plays well we tend to play well, cast your mind back to Watford away and Hull, back to back games where he was the best player on the pitch. Inconsistent at times, yes, but we musn't forget he's a young player who's been here only a season and been in professional football for only 3 years. If we let him go I would bet my life savings on it biting us even more than with a Szmodics.

Bell has never particuarly impressed me, feel he may be a league 1 player, but worth keep hold of to let him develop for another season, especially as he's only recently signed a new deal.

Selling players in this way hasn't benefitted us before - why would it now?

• Confused 1

They need to get Sam in the gym and really work hard on his body shape. I actually think 6 months of really hard work could produce a great wing-back / winger option for 24/25.

He has the pace, can deliver a decent cross and the judgement of when to release and hold can be coached. He just needs the physicality to be able to shield the ball (ala Pring who looked a shell of the specimen he is now a couple of years back).

I think if we get rid then that is a waste of talent that could haunt us

As for Mehmeti - too many people who know football 10 times better than me tipped him for the very top so he needs to be taken out the firing line and let Manning, who really wanted to coach him, that opportunity.

We are building for 24/25 so get on with it and let’s see less of both for a few weeks and then lots in pre-season to see if the hard work has paid off.

Mehmeti is skilful with the ball but hasn’t got the mental side of the game required for Championship and above. I’m not sure you can teach that at this stage.

Bell, I am confident, will play in the Prem at some stage in his career. Not necessarily star in the Prem, but play in a similar to Joe Bryan sort of way.

11 hours ago, RedNachos said:

I'm in absolute shock at the criticism of Mehmeti, I think he's developing into a standout player in the squad. When he plays well we tend to play well, cast your mind back to Watford away and Hull, back to back games where he was the best player on the pitch. Inconsistent at times, yes, but we musn't forget he's a young player who's been here only a season and been in professional football for only 3 years. If we let him go I would bet my life savings on it biting us even more than with a Szmodics.

Bell has never particuarly impressed me, feel he may be a league 1 player, but worth keep hold of to let him develop for another season, especially as he's only recently signed a new deal.

Selling players in this way hasn't benefitted us before - why would it now?

2 games. I would have hoped for more it has to be said…

I think people get a bit blinkered because young players develop at completely different rates. Not all of the academy outputs can hit the ground running at 18/19 and be straight up to Championship/League 1 standard. Other posters are right. Sam Bell has something about him, and with a bit more strength, experience, coaching and confidence could be a real asset at this level. We've seen it before though with the likes of Vyner and Bobby Reid, Pring. If they've not done it by the time they reach 22/23 they are written off and everyone is ready to sell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not so sure on that. Recall most of Bell’s goals coming from set pieces and getting some luck with loose ball dropping to him. Certainly do not remember him cutting in and scoring. Not that Mehmeti does it well but do think he is more of a threat to score from it. Bell often lazily goes left and clips a very uninspiring cross in with his left. Show me Bell’s goals cutting in and scoring. Even his goals in the cup last season weren’t that. 

Most annoying thing that bell does for me is he never gets his head up and pick someone out , that’s a very basic thing to do, also we here about his blistering pace, when was the last time he took someone on and used it, I honestly don’t think he’s that quick.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Agree except about Bell looks like a schoolboy against men too gentle and too nice .

Totally agree he’s far to timid, look at Leeds right back the lad gray , aggressive,  and a touch of nastiness about him, going to be a top player.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Swansea? West Brom in the cup? Boro?

Bell’s goal at Preston last season was a classic counter attack goal, superb play by Scott & a brilliant cross by Wells.

I can’t recall a single goal of his that came from a set piece, second phase of possession maybe.

He’s being asked to play wide by Manning so still seems to be adjusting to it.

Have to agree to disagree on Mehmeti, don’t see any threat or goal supply at all.