IGNORED

Bell and Mehmeti - sell please

Shauntaylor85

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Have to go in summer, Bell in particular. Clearly neither are good enough for this level. We need to forget the academy and Mickey Bell connection, he needs to go. 

I love the way that people use words like ‘clearly’ when expressing a potentially controversial opinion.  😂

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Have to go in summer, Bell in particular. Clearly neither are good enough for this level. We need to forget the academy and Mickey Bell connection, he needs to go. 

Can we also shift you on, Shaun???......

On loan over to gas chat 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I love the way that people use words like ‘clearly’ when expressing a potentially controversial opinion.  😂

You are right…….like Tinnion saying the sell outs show that people are clearly enjoying the football on offer……

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

Can we also shift you on, Shaun???......

On loan over to gas chat 🙂

What for having an opinion that things are pretty poor? Sorry I’m not feeling enthused by what I’ve seen since QPR away. 

Just now, Numero Uno said:

You are right…….like Tinnion saying the sell outs show that people are clearly enjoying the football on offer……

Haha. Selling out to watch PL teams more like. Absolute nonsense. 

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Did he honestly say that?

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact it was two Prem sides & Leeds then?

Dear oh dear, just when I thought I couldn’t have less respect for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Blokes turning into a car crash..and it's our car he's driving!

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It’s similar to the point I made in the “disengaged” thread - he’s flailing, they’re flailing and it’s another attempt for the narrative to be “things are going well” despite things being the contrary.

To be honest I don’t overly blame Tinnion - it’s definitely a Bristol Sport thing. If you look at the comms around the BS3 live event (example below) that illustrates that. It’s permeated the organisation and my guess is it emanates from Jon’s insecurities (which is why we get batshit decision after decision a la kit)

Edited by Silvio Dante

Difficult to believe anyone thought Anis's cameo last night was anything other than a player who doesn't look like he will cut it at this level. I had high hopes for him when he joined. Felt more recently it looked like he was improving and benefiting from game time but last night highlighted everything bad. Poor movement, positional awareness, decision making, awareness of what's going on around him, lacking the physical attributes and to top it all predictable on the ball. At times last night he was just a passenger jogging around. Tommy and Cam were screaming at him. Some tricks and silky skills are not enough. I don't take any pleasure in singling out players and genuinely hope I'm wrong but I think our January window shows the areas we are looking to improve upon for next year.

Not the best game to be objective the morning after a performance like that though.

I disagree a bit on Bell. I think he has been effective off the bench in occasion and wouldn't cast him adrift just yet.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Boston Red said:

Mehmeti is right footed.

Would it help to play him down the right? Send him down the wing on his stronger foot so he can cross? As it is he is always cutting inside so we have no natural width down the left. take him outside, blindfold him, put him in the trunk of a car and drive him to a location thousands of miles away with no phone signal and where it could be assured he’d never find his way back to Ashton Gate again once released

Fixed that for you, and on the revised version, agreed.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

To be fair to Bell, in the new formation, whenever he gets a run out it’s at wingback… he isn’t a wingback!

Again, this is a clear example of Manning having no plan b. Even when chasing a game, the changes he makes are like for like even if that means putting players out of position.

Not saying Bell is the answer, wouldn’t be disappointed to see him leave. Also wouldn’t surprise me to see him end up like Wes Burns and doing well for another club.

Pearson only played bell at rwb because we had no right side players then he moved him to left and was a different player once tanner was back. Now Mannings here we have two fit right sided players but still plays bell rwb I just don't understand stand it.Bell was class under Pearson.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Regardless of what level Sam Bell is or isn’t at, playing him at wing back is genuinely abysmal management.

Who would you prefer there? It is clear it is a position that needs to provide some athleticism and width. Sykes has been out and McRorie just back. So who? Everyone in agreement Tanner a better RCB. You prefer Cornick then? 

I am not selling either unless we get a good fee. They have another summer to develop physically. Both may never make it but both have roles to play for a team that can’t afford 24 experienced championship players and their wages. 

Bell is a striker who can certainly finish as we’ve seen.  Now I’m not saying play him above Conway or  Wells but we should judge him in his position.  He’s not the best to play in a possession based side as a WB (which he isn’t) or either wide left but if you play him there you don’t want him tucking in. He’s certainly struggling  at present but worth keeping around.

As for Memehti, I’ve run out of patience and the bloke has had enough chances now. Makes the wrong choices, rarely beats the first man with crosses & as others have said more eloquently has no positional sense or team awareness. Clearly he has talent but it’s just not happening for him here. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Bit of a harsh post, OP, but I understand your frustrations.

Bell - I have to reluctantly agree. He seems to offer so little at this level, and has always looked a bit like a kid playing mens football. There are a few very specific situations where he appears useful, but for the most part, he doesn't look up to Championship standard. It does have to be said that he's probably had a bit of an easy time from our fans due to be "one of our own" and because of who his Dad is. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we moved him on in Summer.

Mehmeti - Mehmeti is a bit different. He's clearly a better option than Bell, and he clearly has an X-factor about him. Recall that he's in the NTT20 21 under 21. Also recall that there were many teams at our level (and even above) interested in him around the time we signed him. There's a player in there, and at times he looks on the brink of becoming a dangerous player at this level. Frustratingly, there are also times where he doesn't! I'd be inclined to persist with Mehmeti, in the hope that a good coach can convert his clear footballing ability into an ability to function well within a Championship team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Bell has really regressed since the the first month of the season. Still gets into some good positions, but then either wants to take an extra touch and is closed down (like last night), or makes the wrong decision. When he came into the side he was an instinctive finisher and playing wide hit a lot of 1st time crosses, that ability seems to have been lost.

Mehmeti could yet develop into a good option, things almost happen when he plays, like his good movement to get the shot in last night which nearly beat the keeper. Note Wells had 2 similar chances in the first 10 mins and was simply not quick enough to threaten.  

Yes Bell summed it for me soft touch got hammered by the centre back sheff weds home game then shook his hand when he got up  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Mehmeti is just an abysmal footballer at this level. Hes the very definition of a playground footballer - lots of skill but absolutely no idea what to do, how to work positionally or what’s best for the team. I’ve posted elsewhere that I think LM misjudged the gap between L1 and Champ and Mehmeti absolutely epitomises that - he wanted him at Oxford, he might have been good at Oxford. But for any club at this level he’s just not at the standard.

Bell I’ve said before I think will ultimately regress to the level below. He’s a better option than Anis currently, but so is a man with no legs. I’d keep him around the squad as opposed to a starter but expect him to be phased out over time.

I understand the frustrations with Mehmeti, but at least there is clear talent there. Mehmeti has the raw technical ability, but as you say, lacks positional and tactical understanding etc. However, the elements Mehmeti lacks are elements that can be coached. For that reason, I'd be inclined to stick with Mehmeti and try to unlock the potential.

Bell, conversely, doesn't appear to have that same raw ability that Mehmeti does. My view is the same as yours, he will likely regress to a lower level.  For me, the distinction between the two is that Mehmeti has the potential to become a very dangerous player with the right coaching, whereas Bell doesn't.

Mehmeti is "frustrating". Bell is just....."not very good".

FWIW, I absolutely don't think Bell is a better option than Mehmeti currently. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

29 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Mehmeti is right footed.

Would it help to play him down the right? Send him down the wing on his stronger foot so he can cross? As it is he is always cutting inside so we have no natural width down the left.

He’d have to have the pace to beat his man down the line to get a cross in.

I’ve seen very few fullbacks he’s been able to outpace and that fact is most obvious when it comes to him defending and attempting to chase down a full back who’s made a run.

52 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not harsh at all, terrible positional sense, final ball woeful (well isn’t it across), pace yes but lacks the strength to make use of it, finishing? Swansea away perhaps a good finish. No doubt he was a better player under the great Nige, then again all of them were. He got an extra 10 percent. 

You and I can agree to disagree on all things city. 

You disagree you wanted him to start only months ago? 

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Who would you prefer there? It is clear it is a position that needs to provide some athleticism and width. Sykes has been out and McRorie just back. So who? Everyone in agreement Tanner a better RCB. You prefer Cornick then? 

I am not selling either unless we get a good fee. They have another summer to develop physically. Both may never make it but both have roles to play for a team that can’t afford 24 experienced championship players and their wages. 

Could always change formation and take out the need for a wing back.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Could always change formation and take out the need for a wing back.

We looked just as unlikely in a 433 as the 5221 or whatever you want to call it. I think we may go back to 433 4231 once the new lad is settled but for now with the injuries it probably suited for what we have available. We haven’t seen it with Sykes and Twine both fit and the last couple have been without both! Our two best creators out I think is more the problem with our attacking play rather than Bell as a RWB for 20 minutes. Also, Bell is much better on the right either way so for me it has made sense. 

34 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

He’d have to have the pace to beat his man down the line to get a cross in.

I’ve seen very few fullbacks he’s been able to outpace and that fact is most obvious when it comes to him defending and attempting to chase down a full back who’s made a run.

• Hmmm 1

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

We looked just as unlikely in a 433 as the 5221 or whatever you want to call it. I think we may go back to 433 4231 once the new lad is settled but for now with the injuries it probably suited for what we have available. We haven’t seen it with Sykes and Twine both fit and the last couple have been without both! Our two best creators out I think is more the problem with our attacking play rather than Bell as a RWB for 20 minutes. Also, Bell is much better on the right either way so for me it has made sense. 

Mehmeti’s lack of pace is a real problem out wide for sure imo. He has ability but not sure he can fulfil it playing out wide long term. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

In new lad, do you mean Ross McCrorie ? If so then it’s strange to help him settle in we’ve played him as a RWB instead of a conventional right back which he himself has stated is his best position.

playing square pegs in round holes is not helping and I’m afraid there is far too much of that going on at the moment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d argue that Bell looked more of a threat coming off the left than on the right.

Both Mehmeti and Bell will look to cut in from the left onto their right foot and who has had the most success doing that ? Definitely Bell.

He also has the pace to get down the line and at least make an effort to cross which Mehmeti doesn’t.

For me Bell is a better option than Mehmeti on the left.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Great we've managed to replace a bloke who's now running English cricket with a delusional ex-pro whose achieved very little in his playing career.  Also a replace a proven manager with someone you would best describe as a student of the game.

They never learn the Lansdowns do they? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

In new lad, do you mean Ross McCrorie ? If so then it’s strange to help him settle in we’ve played him as a RWB instead of a conventional right back which he himself has stated is his best position.

playing square pegs in round holes is not helping and I’m afraid there is far too much of that going on at the moment.

Yeah. McCrorie RWB, Bell RWB even worse.

Do we use Knight in his very best position?

Tanner-Vyner-Dickie smacks of an attempt to squeeze 3 CBs in even if slightly flawed. Naismith and Atkinson if they were available available, that could be a different story but I'd prefer a 4-3-3 or similar tbh.

What next, return of Sykes at RWB?

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah. McCrorie RWB, Bell RWB even worse.

Do we use Knight in his very best position?

Tanner-Vyner-Dickie smacks of an attempt to squeeze 3 CBs in even if slightly flawed. Naismith and Atkinson if they were available available, that could be a different story but I'd prefer a 4-3-3 or similar tbh.

What next, return of Sykes at RWB?

Yes Knight was one of the players I think is being used inappropriately in this formation and I also think Dickie looks less comfortable playing on the left of a three as he does in a two

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Sorry, he played RWB for Aberdeen and a lot was made of his versatility.  He was woeful last night.  Looked like he just wanted to have an argument/fight with someone.