IGNORED

Tins on RB

Tomo

20 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I expect we were going to be happy to let Pearson's deal run down and expire but I think Pearson probably did something which made his position untenable as to why we changed when we did, I expect something like 'give me a new contract now or you can **** yourselves', Pearson had been very vocal about wanting a new deal and we probably had no intention if giving it so Pearson probably thought why waste my time for several months with nothing to work towards for him, even if we went up I doubt he'd have got a new deal. 

Oh I do hope so!

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

50 minutes ago, Jose said:

Mediocre top management? I wish they were that good. 

Too quick for me!

24 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I expect we were going to be happy to let Pearson's deal run down and expire but I think Pearson probably did something which made his position untenable as to why we changed when we did, I expect something like 'give me a new contract now or you can **** yourselves', Pearson had been very vocal about wanting a new deal and we probably had no intention if giving it so Pearson probably thought why waste my time for several months with nothing to work towards for him, even if we went up I doubt he'd have got a new deal. 

I don’t believe he gave any ultimatum, was trying to hold-on til the end.  Believed he had something brewing here.

The ultimatum came the other way the day after Leeds - “Nige - we’d like you to resign (i.e. we are sacking you) and we will put it out as mutual agreement”.

Nige - “if you want to sack me, then you’ll have to say it as such”.

Hence the slight delay whilst they got their story straight!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

28 minutes ago, lenred said:

Losing all the experience is a big concern for me. You need to retain the older heads to pull the young ones through.  Would Scott and Tommy have progressed so well without King’s and Andi’s clear support for example. Moot I guess but I don’t think they would’ve. Also raises concerns about Manning’s management style IF we don’t retain or recruit experienced pros.  But we will see how things pan out. 

This is a big issue. I have nothing against the profile of the new signings, I have never seen them play so I have no idea about their ability. But many in the game will tell you that the challenge of developing youth into the first team environment is hugely taxing and complex. Pepjin L at Liverpool talks about this in his recent book, and describes a set-up very similar to what we had (will not have) of role models and senior players guiding. I think you can can ask, would Scott have developed so well and fast without King/James/Wells around. I personally do not think so. So there will need to be some additions in the summer to fill those voids.

In my opinion, deeply flawed it seems, I had wanted evolution at the club, because I can never recall seeing so many young players develop, or other players improve (Vyner/MOL,Tanner/Prng) in my fan history, and personally, I know others, maybe many, disagree, I loved that and loved watching it play out. 

We have thrown the baby out with the bathwater and are starting a new adventure on the Lansdown tombola of how to run a football club. This season has gone, so I turn now to how we approach next year, Manning will get a pre season and whole new set of players. I want to see who will be the first player Manning develops into a first team talent the process he follows and how he turns the awful drab football he has instilled into the existing squad into a fast flowing , "front foot" dynamic version when he has a new squad to choose from. I can read that may fans are pleased with the Manning approach, it is all about opinions, and I do not agree that he is remotely the right choice post Pearson, but if others can see it, then we will see how it plays out. I don't think he will last next season. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

48 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I agree with almost all of your choices apart from Mehmeti. I think there is a player there who is comfortable accepting the ball and he deserves some time and a run in the team. He may come good, he may not, but we don't really have anyone else like him.

The only other one i'm slightly unsure about is Tanner. If he's a back up right back then maybe, but i just don't think he's good enough to be starting regularly.

I think when Atkinson comes back he will be dropped and rotated with Tanner just like we are easing McCorie in

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

From what I recall Pearsons point was more communication than the lack of deal, the whole 'ask the people upstairs' presser springs to mind.

• Like 1

One thing that BT said (and repeated) that hasn't been discussed much, is he recognises the need for a mobile, strong and ideally experienced number 9 and yet we purchased Cornick who has neither of these attributes. HC still has a relatively long contract and while I expect not a very high earner, is nonetheless on the wage bill for a considerable period with little prospect of starting / contributing or fitting the profile.

Where is the responsibility for this seemingly desparate purchase and how can we trust the current team not to make the same mistake again when they fail to find this fantasy number 9 on a lower championship budget?

Surely we are best to loan from above like the Tammy deal - it won't be long term, but it could bring quality and a better chance of success in a key position?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

One thing that BT said (and repeated) that hasn't been discussed much, is he recognises the need for a mobile, strong and ideally experienced number 9 and yet we purchased Cornick who has neither of these attributes. HC still has a relatively long contract and while I expect not a very high earner, is nonetheless on the wage bill for a considerable period with little prospect of starting / contributing or fitting the profile.

Where is the responsibility for this seemingly desparate purchase and how can we trust the current team not to make the same mistake again when they fail to find this fantasy number 9 on a lower championship budget?

Surely we are best to loan from above like the Tammy deal - it won't be long term, but it could bring quality and a better chance of success in a key position?

Easy, Cornick wasn’t signed to be that type of player. 

Thats like asking why did we sign Twine & TGH in January if we are desperate for a striker. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respect of Blackburn the issue is perhaps Venkys being unable to get money out of India quite so readily.

Not sure if it is Protectionism as such but India maybe frowning a bit towards foreign expenditure by companies etc.

It 100% is protectionism to protect their currency. Money spent in India stays there 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Easy, Cornick wasn’t signed to be that type of player. 

Thats like asking why did we sign Twine & TGH in January if we are desperate for a striker. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-cornick-8136202

"We signed him as a player we know is versatile but the simple answer to your question is, I think he will offer a very interesting threat for us down the middle. Just because of his aerial prowess, his ability to run and he's got good pace too."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-cornick-8136202

"We signed him as a player we know is versatile but the simple answer to your question is, I think he will offer a very interesting threat for us down the middle. Just because of his aerial prowess, his ability to run and he's got good pace too."

Yep, was gonna disagree with @Dullmoan Tone and @petehinton, the expectation was to give us something for the bits and pieces up top…it didn’t work out unfortunately.  He wasn’t our first choice though…Ogbene was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 38MC said:

It 100% is protectionism to protect their currency. Money spent in India stays there 

As I understand it a relatively recent law means the Venkys would have to apply for emergency permission to transfer money out of the country. Though I imagine greasing the right palms might help.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

This is a big issue. I have nothing against the profile of the new signings, I have never seen them play so I have no idea about their ability. But many in the game will tell you that the challenge of developing youth into the first team environment is hugely taxing and complex. Pepjin L at Liverpool talks about this in his recent book, and describes a set-up very similar to what we had (will not have) of role models and senior players guiding. I think you can can ask, would Scott have developed so well and fast without King/James/Wells around. I personally do not think so. So there will need to be some additions in the summer to fill those voids.

In my opinion, deeply flawed it seems, I had wanted evolution at the club, because I can never recall seeing so many young players develop, or other players improve (Vyner/MOL,Tanner/Prng) in my fan history, and personally, I know others, maybe many, disagree, I loved that and loved watching it play out. 

We have thrown the baby out with the bathwater and are starting a new adventure on the Lansdown tombola of how to run a football club. This season has gone, so I turn now to how we approach next year, Manning will get a pre season and whole new set of players. I want to see who will be the first player Manning develops into a first team talent the process he follows and how he turns the awful drab football he has instilled into the existing squad into a fast flowing , "front foot" dynamic version when he has a new squad to choose from. I can read that may fans are pleased with the Manning approach, it is all about opinions, and I do not agree that he is remotely the right choice post Pearson, but if others can see it, then we will see how it plays out. I don't think he will last next season. 

Continue for another two months with league results (Forest won't let us win the replay) the same as January and he'll be gone. If the SL family bottle that decision, we'll be enjoying Third Division local derbies again.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Continue for another two months with league results (Forest won't let us win the replay) the same as January and he'll be gone. If the SL family bottle that decision, we'll be enjoying Third Division local derbies again.

But we still get the media fluff, promoted by the club, that Manning is a “bright young coach”, while of course the club were quite happy for Pearson to be painted as an aging dinosaur, when the truth was nothing of the sort. Personally I would prefer experience over promise, but of course that doesn’t suit the owners!

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why us Pring, contracted until 2026 getting sold seemingly.

We are not under pressure to sell as such, we know this. I know sometimes it can be inevitable ie Scott but that should've been the last big sale for a while IMO.

Accept Conway is a greater risk given the lack of contract progress but maybe just maybe one year after 2 seasons of heavy lifting keep your best, add a bit more depth and go for the top 6, more specifically the playoffs.

Because Mr Pop contracts mean nothing if West Ham or bloody Bournemouth dangle £15M or £20M in front of SL. Also Cam's agent will be pushing to cash in on a big pay day and lastly, Cam's head will be turning at the chance of a massive wage increase and set up for life.

At this point City would do well to argue to justify any increase on any transfer price simply because we may not get a percentage of any future dealings if he goes on a free in the future, just like potentially Lloyd Kelly. They got him for a snip at £18M plus we negotiated a sell on clause. All pie in the sky if he runs down his contract.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

Because Mr Pop contracts mean nothing if West Ham or bloody Bournemouth dangle £15M or £20M in front of SL. Also Cam's agent will be pushing to cash in on a big pay day and lastly, Cam's head will be turning at the chance of a massive wage increase and set up for life.

At this point City would do well to argue to justify any increase on any transfer price simply because we may not get a percentage of any future dealings if he goes on a free in the future, just like potentially Lloyd Kelly. They got him for a snip at £18M plus we negotiated a sell on clause. All pie in the sky if he runs down his contract.

Jordan James.

Birmingham are in no better a P&S position than us, perhaps a tighter one but they are intending not to budge on him...contract had 1.5-2.5 years.

Mowbray speaks of £30m for him which seems fanciful, then of course it comes down to SL.

Looks like Kelly will go on a free but that can still change.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

League of Ireland, League Two loan and I forget what level Aldershot are but sign and loan back from Non League.

It's a big leap.

Listened to a podcast with Stephen McGinn yesterday. He told a story about coming down to Watford from the SPL, when Watford were in the Championship. When he was about to make his debut, Sean Dyche - the assistant manager - asked him how many times he’d played before in the SPL. Stephen told him, around 90 times in the league and 15 times in the cup. Dyche replied: “So this is your first professional appearance then!” and walked off laughing. By his own admission, he found the step up from SPL to Championship to be very big.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

These are both big leaps but we often send promising talent to places like Bath City (a lower level that the Irish or National leagues)to get experience of men's football. They have both flourished at that level and shown that they are top talents in their respective leagues.  If they train regularly with our first team, they will have a chance to bridge the gap.  Our coaches seem to know how to develop young players so I am pretty confident that these lads will, along with our new flying winger, hopefully be first team players for years to come.

We also send a lot of players to places like Bath City who never make the first team. In fact most of them dont make it, so as much as I admire your confidence, I dont share it. 

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

But we still get the media fluff, promoted by the club, that Manning is a “bright young coach”, while of course the club were quite happy for Pearson to be painted as an aging dinosaur, when the truth was nothing of the sort. Personally I would prefer experience over promise, but of course that doesn’t suit the owners!

It's amazing how successful the club has been in spreading this myth that LM is well-respected, sought-after, bright young coach etc right across all of our independent national media. Especially as in all other respects, many posters seem to think those running the club are completely useless.

Or, just a thought, may be all of those independent media outlets actually say what they think. Surely not? 

20 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair, all clubs do that. Even successful ones. 🙄

Yes clubs always have to look ahead. (Not quite like F1 when drivers for 2025 have been signed before 2024 has even started). But I think the point that many fans are getting frustrated with is that our tomorrow never seems to come.

We get good players but fail to be able to keep them, the pull of the Premier League is obviously too strong. But they also must believe that we aren't going there any time soon either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Apparently, according to BT, the coach or manager is offered a choice of 3 players identified by the recruitment team for a certain position.

Pearson picked Cornick but we will never be told who the other 2 were will we?

He also cost apparently £300k, so what were we expecting?

20 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

He had a right old go at TGH. Never a good sign of harmony, players arguing amongst themselves. 

I dunno, wouldn’t read too much into it. Even the top teams used to argue with each other - listen to the Arsenal / Utd players talk about the early 2000s they would argue like mad after a defeat. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

20 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Hull and Coventry are going to do it this season

Forest did it too within the season.

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Be interested in the name of a striker that you think we could have got for £300k to replace one sold for £9m.

Wasn’t much unhappiness on here when we signed Mehmeti, he just hasn’t made the step up. Not sure anyone (Tinnion or Pearson) could have known that.

In fairness most people were excited about Mehmeti, it certainly wasn’t seen as a waste at the time

• Like 2

My major concern is (once again) one of the Lansdowns friends has massive power at this club and when it comes to the first team and knowing what it takes in this league the guy takes a 💩 then wipes the middle region of his arm

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respect of Blackburn the issue is perhaps Venkys being unable to get money out of India quite so readily.

Not sure if it is Protectionism as such but India maybe frowning a bit towards foreign expenditure by companies etc.

Not frowning. Blocked foreign investment. Venky' s have to put in a special appeal to release money.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Listening to BT got me thinking about next season and who (of our established squad players and newcomers) I see as definitely part of the future.

So here goes, I’m sure this will divide opinion.

Players that I see as being definite ones for the future include:

Max O’Leary

Cam Ping

Rob Dickie

Zak Vyner

George Tanner

Jason Knight

Mark Sykes

Taylor Gardner-Hickman

Tommy Conway

Ross McCorie

Rob Atkinson

+ the new recent recruits

Those that I would happily see depart include:

Anis Memheti

Harry Cornick

All the rest I would be on the fence about that includes:

Nahki Wells

Joe Williams

Matty James

Andy King

Sam Bell

Haydon Roberts

Kal Naismith

My sense is Williams, James and King won’t be offered new contracts, Pring, Conway and maybe Vyner could be tempted by pastures new and move on. Plus a couple of others, perhaps Wells and Naismith depart.

Let the debate commence.

With the players we have secured in the recent window it looks like a new midfield with Murphy, Knight, TGH and Bird being the core.

Depending on outgoings I fancy our defence will remain as is, Max, Cam, Zac, Rob D, Rob A, Ross and George.

It’s been clear for sometime that we need another striker and as BT indicated a 23-24 year old physical and pacey forward would be ideal. Then, again depending on outgoings/incomings, they’d be joined by Conway, Sykes, Bell, Wells, Mebude (if he stays), Twine (if he stays)

My hope is there won’t be that much change in defence and midfield in the summer, bar the business already done.

I agree James and King are off but I think we’d need at least one more midfielder or the squad would be thin and I can see that being a new deal for Williams 

I think it will be hard to keep Conway and I reckon Wells could go if we got two new forwards in. I reckon we could keep everyone else - bar Twine - and I think it would be a good strategy to do so as it would enable the recruitment to focus on the two positions that desperately need it.

I can see our squad next year being:

GKs

1. O’Leary 

2. Poss Bajic if Manning genuinely rates him. 
3. HWR or whoever is next on conveyer belt if HWR isn’t kept on

Defenders 

1. Tanner

2.McCrorie

3.Pring

4.Roberts

5.Naismith

6.Atkinson

7.Dickie

8.Vyner

Midfield:

1.Bird

2.Knight

3.Murphy

4.Williams

5.TGH

Attacking midfielders/Wide forwards

1. Key signing 

2. Stokes

3. Mehmeti

4. Sykes

5. Mebude (if a success)

Forwards

1. Key signing 

2. New back-up or Wells

3. Bell

Moved on:

Conway 

James

King

Cornick

Weimann

Maybe moved on too:

Wells (I rate Wells - this is just a hunch)

Bajic

HWR (only listed as his contract is up and I have no idea where the club feel he is in terms of his development)

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2