IGNORED

Parachute Payment teams needs asterisks

Lord Northski

The Championship table needs asterisks next to the name of football clubs who benefit from parachute payments in all published league tables. In so doing, it shows that these clubs’ league position is artificially inflated by an unfair and disproportionate allocation of money, which makes an absurdity of the league, akin to performance enhancing drugs. 

With this made evident, all readers will have an understanding of the inequality in the league, so it’s obvious to all, and these clubs’ successes should be judged (or tainted) accordingly. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 7

37 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

The Championship table needs asterisks next to the name of football clubs who benefit from parachute payments in all published league tables. In so doing, it shows that these clubs’ league position is artificially inflated by an unfair and disproportionate allocation of money, which makes an absurdity of the league, akin to performance enhancing drugs. 

With this made evident, all readers will have an understanding of the inequality in the league, so it’s obvious to all, and these clubs’ successes should be judged (or tainted) accordingly. 

But don't worry, buying L1 players and "improving them on the training ground" will see us alright when we turn into tippy tappy worldbeaters.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 6
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Fed up of people crying about it.  Plenty of teams without parachute payments finishing top 10 over the last few seasons and some have gone up.  

Good one. So you wouldn’t do anything, or suggest anything. So your stance is “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. But…problem is that it is clearly broken, and you know it. 
Perhaps your response may have more to do with you can’t think of a better solution, so let’s not do anything. The type of person put in charge of Northern Ireland in the 70/80’s. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

@sh1t_ref_again

Name me the non parachute teams who've been promoted using mostly league 1 players and academy kids playing tippy tap football.

There are ways non parachute teams can compete at the top of the Championship - but it's not by doing this.

sh1t comment again incoming. Actually, don't bother, I've remembered you’re on ignore.

@Leabrook how about you tell me which teams have been removed using this strategy.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Facepalm 2

To be fair Leeds were in the wilderness (outside of prem) & without parachute payments for years before going back up again but had ambitious owners to make it happen and even though coming back down they now benefit & are more likely to go up or stay around the top of the championship. Lansclown has sufficient resources IF he really wanted to make it happen. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, marmite said:

Would we be against it if we ever received it?

Personally, yes. But there will be some who won't. 

The clubs are being rewarded for failure, but to such an extent it skews the division in their favour for the next 3 years.

It's created a close to closed shop for the Prem. Yes, the occasional side goes up without them, but they're very much the minority.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAWS said:

To be fair Leeds were in the wilderness (outside of prem) & without parachute payments for years before going back up again but had ambitious owners to make it happen and even though coming back down they now benefit & are more likely to go up or stay around the top of the championship. Lansclown has sufficient resources IF he really wanted to make it happen. 

Leeds had a higher income than us all those years and pushed FFP to the limit.

I've just checked their accounts, in 2018-19 ie the year before promotion total revenue £48m so there's that for one.

£54m the year they went up, so that also stacks to some degree.

We could do the 2nd, playing catchup on the first. Without Covid Leeds the year they went up would've been forecast to make an income of £60m...non Parachute at that point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

You don’t need an asterisk, just look to see who occupies the top few places in the league 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

@sh1t_ref_again

Name me the non parachute teams who've been promoted using mostly league 1 players and academy kids playing tippy tap football.

There are ways non parachute teams can compete at the top of the Championship - but it's not by doing this.

sh1t comment again incoming. Actually, don't bother, I've remembered you’re on ignore.

@Leabrook how about you tell me which teams have been removed using this strategy.

Removed from what?  The weird queries and questions continue from you 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

Maybe all clubs with a billionaire owner should have an asterix next to their name as well then. 

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Leeds had a higher income than us all those years and pushed FFP to the limit.

I've just checked their accounts, in 2018-19 ie the year before promotion total revenue £48m so there's that for one.

£54m the year they went up, so that also stacks to some degree.

We could do the 2nd, playing catchup on the first. Without Covid Leeds the year they went up would've been forecast to make an income of £60m...non Parachute at that point.

Perhaps Leeds isn't a fair comparison but the point is its possible to go up without parachute payments and an owner with the necessary funds, ambition and nouse. We have one who only has one of those requirements

• Like 2

I agree that parachute payments are "broken".

They were (supposedly) intended to aid clubs in adjusting for Championship finances. Ironically, they do the exact opposite - they allow clubs to continue to spend at an above-Championship level for a couple of years.

However, in fairness, there are clubs that manage to find a way to be promoted without them. No doubt that in a few seasons we'll be saying "How can we expect to compete with teams like Luton and Brentford with the parachute payments they receive?", when perhaps we should be asking "How did Luton and Brentford manage to be promoted without parachute payments, despite being financial minnows compared to us?".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Apologies.

"Promoted".

Amazed you couldn't work that out. Await a genuine answer to a genuine question.

Sorry not a mind reader.  Removed and promoted aren’t exactly similar!  Luton got promoted with a nett spend of pretty much zero over the two years before they went up. Proving you don’t need to spend loads and you don’t NEED parachute payments to do it.  The style of play is irrelevant to this thread as we are talking about parachute payments.  You come across very aggressive to people and weirdly seem to accuse other fans of coming up with the strategy.   

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But don't worry, buying L1 players and "improving them on the training ground" will see us alright when we turn into tippy tappy worldbeaters.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

@sh1t_ref_again

Typical nonsense reply and usual guff, moving the goal posts. I reacted to your pathetic post, we are not just buying  L1 players, we missed out on a highly rated player to Middlesbrough, brought in Twine and may make it permanent, stated we are after more players in the summer,

We have done some good business securing sought after lower league players to develop, althoufh Bird was an established Championship player. We will look to move on some of the older players who were brought in by Nige to establish a culture and change the dressing room, but they cannot go on forever.

But as usual your head is so far up your ass looking at your own agenda that sense is alien to you 

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Sorry not a mind reader.  Removed and promoted aren’t exactly similar!  Luton got promoted with a nett spend of pretty much zero over the two years before they went up. Proving you don’t need to spend loads and you don’t NEED parachute payments to do it.  The style of play is irrelevant to this thread as we are talking about parachute payments.  

Clubs like Luton reach the PL without parachute payments and fair play to them. However nevertheless relegated PL club have a significant advantage (like Leeds) who are able to retain many of the their PL players and we saw yesterday what a footballing lesson they gave City. 

One method of doing away with PPs would be to have a mandatory clause in every PL players contract that in the event of relegation they automatically lose a % of their PL salary in order to to be on the average Championship salary - whatever that percentage is.

If this we’re the case then all Championship players would be earning the average wage.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Sorry not a mind reader.  Removed and promoted aren’t exactly similar!  Luton got promoted with a nett spend of pretty much zero over the two years before they went up. Proving you don’t need to spend loads and you don’t NEED parachute payments to do it.  The style of play is irrelevant to this thread as we are talking about parachute payments.  You come across very aggressive to people and weirdly seem to accuse other fans of coming up with the strategy.   

Mind reader? All you had to do was read the first sentence of the post you replied to.

Next. I knew you'd say Luton so now go back and read my question again. I'll save you time:

What teams have been promoted based on most of the players being L1 buys and home grown academy kids, playing tippy tap football.

If you'd read that properly, you wouldn't have said Luton.

Because Luton don't play tippy tap football and haven't put the emphasis on academy players.

As I also said, if you'd stop to read carefully, non parachute payment teams can compete at top end of our league but not doing what we're doing - L1 buys + academy kids + tippy tap football. They find alternative strategies.

If teams have been promoted doing what we're trying to do, please name them. I'm genuinely interested to know which ones.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Clubs like Luton reach the PL without parachute payments and fair play to them. However nevertheless relegated PL club have a significant advantage (like Leeds) who are able to retain many of the their PL players and we saw yesterday what a footballing lesson they gave City. 

One method of doing away with PPs would be to have a mandatory clause in every PL players contract that in the event of relegation they automatically lose a % of their PL salary in order to to be on the average Championship salary - whatever that percentage is.

If this we’re the case then all Championship players would be earning the average wage.

Would that be enforceable by law?  Seems unlikely 

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Mind reader? All you had to do was read the first sentence of the post you replied to.

Next. I knew you'd say Luton so now go back and read my question again. I'll save you time:

What teams have been promoted based on most of the players being L1 buys and home grown academy kids, playing tippy tap football.

Because Luton don't play tippy tap football and haven't put the emphasis on academy players.

As I also said, if you'd stop to read carefully, non parachute payment teams can compete at top end of our league but not doing what we're doing - L1 buys + academy kids + tippy tap football. They find alternative strategies.

If teams have been promoted doing what we're trying to do, please name them. I'm genuinely interested to know which ones.

Read my answer carefully and you will see I addressed your other questions.  

15 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Typical nonsense reply and usual guff, moving the goal posts. I reacted to your pathetic post, we are not just buying  L1 players, we missed out on a highly rated player to Middlesbrough, brought in Twine and may make it permanent, stated we are after more players in the summer,

We have done some good business securing sought after lower league players to develop, althoufh Bird was an established Championship player. We will look to move on some of the older players who were brought in by Nige to establish a culture and change the dressing room, but they cannot go on forever.

But as usual your head is so far up your ass looking at your own agenda that sense is alien to you 

Sh1t comment AGAIN

See above.

What teams have been promoted from the Champ with a majority of the team made up of L1 buys + academy kids + tippy tap football.?

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Brentford, Leeds, Wolves went up not in receipt of Parachute Payments and were footballing sides to varying degrees.

Albeit the last 2 pushed FFP to the limit and all 3 extensively used the foreign market.

It fits part of it but only part.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

It fits part of it but only part.

Exactly.

Wolves bought from L1 ! Played academy kids?

Leeds?

Brentford are an outlier for all sorts of reasons, no-one's doing what they're doing. They're unique. No point trying to replicate them.

I can't think of another team that's been promoted using mostly lower league buys and academy kids and played tippy tap football.

Which is what our plan seems to be.

Genuinely interested if anyone else has managed it. I somehow doubt it.

• Like 1

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Exactly.

Wolves bought from L1 ! Played academy kids?

Leeds?

Brentford are an outlier for all sorts of reasons, no-one's doing what they're doing. They're unique. No point trying to replicate them.

I can't think of another team that's been promoted using mostly lower league buys and academy kids and played tippy tap football.

Which is what our plan seems to be.

Genuinely interested if anyone else has managed it. I somehow doubt it.

The footballing side thing though, all were.

That aside, yes our plan can create a solid base but you need more. Bird and Knight being League One but probably artificially so due to Derby and their off the pitch issues should prove good acquisitions, Knight already is.

Sykes and Atkinson have certainly stepped up. Sadly the latter has had lengthy absences through injury 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sh1t comment AGAIN

See above.

What teams have been promoted from the Champ with a majority of the team made up of L1 buys + academy kids + tippy tap football.?

So what's you solution, go out and spend lots of money on top end Championship/ prem players? Think we tried that and Nige spent 2 years getting rid of them and had to sell Semenyo to avoid a points deduction.

We have good players that have come from the academy and L1, so are you really suggesting we get rid of them or stop trying to cherry pick some of the talent to develop. The team is a mix of younger and experienced players.

By tippy tippy, the fact we are trying to change from a team that played on the counter attack, instead trying to be the dominant side. Don't think anyone can pretend it's going to be easy to change particularly mid season, but it no good wetting your bed sheets and posting crap just because we lose to a good Leeds side.