IGNORED

Sound of the city

Bowlegchicken

14 minutes ago, red panda said:

I won't labour the point, but I think the quality of academy players coming through at the time also made it easier for Pearson to include them.

Tedious football plus poor results should be Manning's downfall, not so much his attitude to academy players.  Setting us up not to lose can be a good starting point, and early on I'm not sure Manning got enough credit for some of this.  It's been really noticeable how many times match reports would say that our opponents weren't their usual free-flowing selves, struggled to find their normal rhythm, weren't firing on all cylinders, etc.  It can't have been a coincidence that so many teams seemed to have an off day when playing us.  But Manning's abject failure to build from this foundation and improve things at the other end of the pitch means that I agree he has to go!

I wouldn't criticise him too much for not using Academy players , though I would question not having them on the bench rather than and empty seat. We were probably due a quiet period with so many bloodied over the last few years , I think (hope) we may see 2/3 pushing next year. 
What I would question, is signing basically an academy player to try and come and make a difference. Odd IMO.

• Like 1

The solution for Bristol City is clear

1. The Club must be transparent, speak things as they are, and produce a plan to deal with what, the majority, of supporters can see. This means being honest about the Club’s weaknesses and failures on the pitch over many years (not being in the promotion frame in the same way that Cardiff, Swansea, Burnley, Norwich, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Luton and others have been over many years) and putting forward a plan to address this. It also includes the Club being realistic, about the current playing squad and the risk that the club has taken in appointing LM as head coach (a good young coach with no relevant track record). In many ways LM has been put into a very difficult position (as far as expectations against resources is concerned and taking into account the competitiveness of the Championship) and this should be acknowledged by the Club.

2. The supporter base should reach out to SL and the Lansdown family to communicate its appreciation for what the Lansdown’s have done for the club and the City of Bristol over the years (particularly in relation to the stadium and training facility) but at the same time should communicate that they believe that SL needs to obtain better help and guidance (in relation to both football and executive leadership at the club) and should make it a priority to obtain this.

3. It would be for SL to acknowledge this support but also admit to the main failure that we have all witnessed during his tenure at the club – that of the lack of achievement on the pitch. It would help for SL to talk to supporters about this and to consider embracing their request that he should use some of his resources to find the best football and executive leadership possible (better than the personnel who have been appointed in the past and the current senior team), who can take responsibility for the strategy going forward. If we are aiming for the Premier League we need a Premier League standard Board and Leadership. SL has achieved massive things at the Club but it would show huge strength to admit and address the key failure of his tenure - that of under achieving on the pitch notwithstanding his financial status and input. To be honest, it feels as though the clubs approach to its main challenge (that of getting to the Premier League) has been parochial, second rate and a bit local - in some ways this mirrors the way many people within football view our Club - we are unfashionable and they don't see us as Premier League. This is something we must change because Bristol is a Premier League City and deserves a Premier League Club. Places like Swansea, Norwich, Burnley, Huddersfield and Bournemouth cannot hold a candle to Bristol. 

4. The new football and executive leadership would be tasked with (a) developing a robust succession plan for SL and the Lansdown family and (b) assessing what the club needs both in relation to playing squad and football management and coaching to mount a realistic challenge for the play-offs and promotion.

5. This approach would gain the respect of the supporters (it would give transparency and would propose a solution to the current situation which supporters are becoming increasing despondent about) and would protect the deserved legacy of SL and the Lansdown family at the same time. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

7 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I’ve managed to listen this morning to SOTC from last night and agree that it was a very interesting and insightful debate.

Interested when Peircy talked about the whole atmosphere affecting feelings of supporters and players.

He also acknowledged that this whole debacle could have been better handled by the club. 

As I alluded to in another post elsewhere the club seem hell bent on creating a “them and us” divide between supporters and the board and I echo Piercy’s comments that Nigel was a figurehead who didn’t shirk from challenging comments, but also tried to get players and fans onboard by being authentic, honest, empathetic and displayed integrity.

Yes, he might have called out individuals, but he also was true to his word that if a player showed willingness to improve and be ready to knock on the door when the opportunity arose again that he would give them another chance and he was a man of his word, thus earning respect.

The board do not seem to grasp these qualities. Sometimes you need to call out negatives, but at the same time you balance it out by also giving credit for positive contributions. This creates motivation because the negatives are turned into learning opportunities and also provides accountability and people understand their responsibilities.

The board should have been truthful in the reasons for their dismissal of Nigel Pearson and whilst some supporters may not have liked it at least they would haven’t tried to fill in narratives in their own minds.

Instead they concocted a bizarre communication plan with wildly unrealistic aims and as Peircy indicated, it became the stick to beat the owners with as soon as things started to go wrong.

Manning was set up to fail and anything else would have been a bonus. A lot of this toxic feel around the club could have been avoided by the board simply showing some integrity.

Now they have nowhere to hide and will have to be held accountable due to stating that the squad is one of the best, top end, front foot, best chance of success this season blah, blah, blah - all because they blind-sided the supporters, threw Liam into a toxic cauldron and then ran away and hid.

Everything good they do is undone by the divide they create through spineless communication.

Bristol City can be successful, but only with strong leadership and those behaviours and stepping up and taking responsibility that Liam talks about starts at the very top and filters down throughout the club.

I’m sorry, but until these fundamental requirements change then we’re doomed to mediocrity at best and abject failure at worst.

👏👏👏

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Yes Dave, in League One, but he had clear aspirations for proven players at Championship level and wanted business done early in the close season so he had time to work with those players in pre-season.

Remember those last minute £9 Million failed bids for Dwight Gayle and Andre Gray?

That was all a bit bizarre?

Imagine had the £4.5m for Gray and £2m for Maguire had gone through, plus the £250k Fredericks hadn’t got whacked!

Believe the later bids for Gray and Gayle were “only” £6m.  In Gayle’s case “plus £3m if promoted”.

1 hour ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Does anyone think that Manning is actually feeling the pressure? He says he’s not on social media but Tinnion is so surely Brian knows how we’re all feeling? 

Yes, massively.

• Like 2

Having just listened, I‘m tempted to listen all over again. An excellent programme, knowledgeable and even handed guests, well presented by the host, well done Radio Bristol.

No attention seeking from anyone (bar one text), sensible, truthful comment, tempered with common sense but not holding back on topics many of us are concerned about.

If only next weeks programme could have SL, JL and BT as guests who are asked about their actions that have in my opinion put our club in a perilous situation, and they answer with the same clarity and truthfulness displayed in this programme.

Anyone seen any flying pigs.

2 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Having just listened, I‘m tempted to listen all over again. An excellent programme, knowledgeable and even handed guests, well presented by the host, well done Radio Bristol.

No attention seeking from anyone (bar one text), sensible, truthful comment, tempered with common sense but not holding back on topics many of us are concerned about.

If only next weeks programme could have SL, JL and BT as guests who are asked about their actions that have in my opinion put our club in a perilous situation, and they answer with the same clarity and truthfulness displayed in this programme.

Anyone seen any flying pigs.

I listened to it again earlier, it’s worth another listen for sure. 

3 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Almost no experienced manager will work under our set up.

Amazed that Nige accepted the challenge to be fair.

Most managers / head coaches know that their futures are judged by results and they won’t be up for putting their necks on the line by utilising Academy players. They’ll expect financial backing. Nige was a pleasant exception.

Hughton, Coppell, Cotts etc didn’t fancy dipping into the academy.

Nige threw a lot of academy players in and guess what? He was sacked because results weren’t good enough! 

Except he wasn't. 😡

8 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Except he wasn't. 😡

I think JP spoke a lot of truth last night when he said the club want to achieve promotion in a pure way. 

They want purity and that wouldn't be the case if NP got us promotion. 

Because rightfully NP would have got the plaudits. They didn't like that, thats not purity in their eyes. 

This obsession with purity is bloody bizarre. 

But that purity reason was one of the reasons he was sacked. 

Boogles the mind that they knew he could get us promoted but didn't want us to get promoted with him in charge. My brain can't figure out that mentality.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Does anyone think that Manning is actually feeling the pressure? He says he’s not on social media but Tinnion is so surely Brian knows how we’re all feeling? 

When he says he can't control how supporters think that tells you all you need to know. If I was him, cos you can guarantee he knows where he stands now if he didn't a week or two ago, I'd be tempted to have a go against both Leicester and Plymouth and if he picks up three points from those two he gets more time. However the way we set up on Saturday was pure fear until the game was lost so I can't see that happening.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think JP spoke a lot of truth last night when he said the club want to achieve promotion in a pure way. 

Because rightfully NP would have got the plaudits. They didn't like that, thats not purity in their eyes. 

Boogles the mind that they knew he could get us promoted but didn't want us to get promoted with him in charge. My brain can't figure out that mentality.

It's not difficult mate. It's jealousy.

The equivalent of taking your ball home from a kick about in the park because one of your mates is better than you.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

32 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What is getting promoted in a "pure" way? I'm all ******* ears on this...................

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What is getting promoted in a "pure" way? I'm all ******* ears on this...................

JP did say it. At a guess I’d say . He wants a squad largely of academy kids . All good lads . Class of 92 type scenario . It’s not purity though , it’s insanity . 

• Sad 1
  • Flames 2

26 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The “Lansdown Way”, ie the way SL thinks it should be achieved…

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

With 11 Bristolians in the team and a young on the grass coach with a 'club legend' over seeing it all 🤣🤣🤣🤣

…might not be a million miles off!

Seriously though, I think he wants to achieve it by some clever way (whatever that is) to prove to everyone he “knows football”.  Insecurity really! 

• Like 3

its the daftest thing he could ever dream of. 

1,he gets his team of young academy players looking promising for a promotion push,january comes along,all the best players get poached by bigger clubs 

2, he holds on to all his little cherubs and by some miracle they make it,woohoo, new season starts,he suddenly needs to find £100 milion to buy some prem experience or suffer 9-0s against the big boys every other week

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2024 at 20:04, Phileas Fogg said:

In all seriousness i’m not sure - I imagine what he’s really saying is he wants players to work to a game plan regardless of external factors.

Think the emotions are related to box entries, there’s a right way and a wrong way..?

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

When he says he can't control how supporters think that tells you all you need to know.

The guy simply does not understand the whole football culture and that football is for the fans. He's probably spent so long in the sterile world of coaching that he has became institutionalised. 

The clubs he has 'managed' don't have the greatest of support. One club in particular that he got sacked from I don't even recognise any of their 'fans' 

He sees the fans as an annoyance because he can't give the fans a game plan, he can't control the fans and their emotions. He only ever talks about the fans when prompted. More than bloody happy to come over and do his pathetic fist pumps tho.

When we do win its always "I'm so happy for the staff and the players" 

In some ways he's the perfect head coach for our owners because they also see the fans as an annoyance. 

You'll never hear him off his own back say "I'm sorry that the fans have had to travel all this way using their hard earned cash to witness that, they deserve better" he will never say those things because he simply cannot relate. 

When you're a manager of a Championship club you need to be able to manage the fans too. He simply does not have that in his skillset. 

For Liam Manning it's all about Liam Manning, he doesn't care about the fans. He doesn't value the fanbase because he doesn't believe that fans can make a player pass the ball accurately or take a shot on target. He thinks all that is achieved through coaching. 

He simply does not understand that emotions of the crowd can impact performances and results.

People like Cotts, GJ and Pearson are held in high regard because they connected with the fanbase. 

The funny thing is that Mannings refusal to do that is what will cost him his job and it will be richly deserved and a harsh lesson for him that you can't overlook the importance of a fanbase. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

All I’d say is that there appear to be some very loose lips at AG / HPC at the mo’!!!

Possibly adds some credence to my comments about Ian seeming to back track a little on Manning on FBC podcast, if he believed his source of information. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The “Lansdown Way”, ie the way SL thinks it should be achieved…

…might not be a million miles off!

Seriously though, I think he wants to achieve it by some clever way (whatever that is) to prove to everyone he “knows football”.  Insecurity really! 

The thing is I have no idea what the Lansdown Way is. Worse, I'm not sure he does either.

Is it funding scatter gun recruitment, doubling the wage bill and putting the club in a financial hole?

Is it developing academy players to sell on at the earliest opportunity or to keep them as the core of the team?

Is it appointing an experienced manager and CEO and letting them use their expertise or rookies who will do as they are told because he knows best?

I agree he wants to prove he's a football expert despite the evidence to the contrary. It's not unusual for people who have become rich because they are expert in one field to believe they can be the same in any other field they choose imo.

I don't see him changing sadly.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Ian M said:

You know how you can prove to the doubters that you “know football”?

Appoint a competent / experienced CEO.

Appoint a competent / experienced DoF.

Appoint a competent / experienced Manager.

Let the 3 appointments above overhaul recruitment.

We already have a decent Academy.

Set a budget and let them do what they have built their reputations on without interference.

Spot on Ian.

As the saying goes, hire great people and then get out of their way!

• Like 2

Having listened to the show again I do wonder (if slightly tongue in cheek) if Piercy’s “fans sack managers” comment, endorsed by Owers, was a rallying cry! A “come on then City fans, if you want him gone say so” statement it you will. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 1

One question i would love someone to ask SL is and he would have to answer honestly  "If JL was not your son would you have him anywhere near your football club" ?

I think we all know the honest answer to that 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westonred said:

One question i would love someone to ask SL is and he would have to answer honestly  "If JL was not your son would you have him anywhere near your football club" ?

I think we all know the honest answer to that 

The same question could be asked to Gary Johnson.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 3