IGNORED

Nottingham Forest away fourth round FA Cup replay match thread

Jerseybean

2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Looks next door but there’s a gert river in the way, 

That's where the 70's chant of "You're going in the river" originated.

Meanwhile Sports 10 is now showing tonight's game; https://sports-10.com/nottingham-forest-v-bristol-city/

As both teams can forget League success this season, I suggest this could well be the last meaningful game for the losers, so hopefully, we'll see two teams both going for it.

14 minutes ago, 22A said:

As both teams can forget League success this season, I suggest this could well be the last meaningful game for the losers, so hopefully, we'll see two teams both going for it.

haven’t Forest got a possible relegation scrap to worry about? That might be higher on their priority list than the cup..

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I am fearful of a beating I have to say. Too many games recently on those who are fit and eligible.

I would be very optimistic with a full and rested squad, but unless we held back something when playing Leeds (why would we?), it could get ugly.

Hope to be proven completely wrong. COYR.

We are in a similar position really, injuries, players at AFCON, players ineligible, total nightmare.

January could have been a quiet month but we insisted on turning two games into four, with one and maybe two going to extra time.

2 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

haven’t Forest got a possible relegation scrap to worry about? That might be higher on their priority list than the cup..

My thoughts are "go for the Cup".

All psychological, in our promotion season, we got a quarter final and smashed Leicester on the way, very few were saying "But what about the league". Last season, we got a League cup semi final, in a relegation battle.

25 minutes ago, 22A said:

Meanwhile Sports 10 is now showing tonight's game; https://sports-10.com/nottingham-forest-v-bristol-city/

That's where the 70's chant of "You're going in the river" originated

First heard it from  Ipswich up there in the cup 78ish, followed by howls of laughter from our lot 🤣

Edited by southside

56 minutes ago, Big Cheese said:

Your goalie will be ok then, we can go a full 90 minutes without having a shot on target!

We're gonna win it by them scoring an own goal with us having zero shots on target.  

32 minutes ago, 22A said:

They've admitted an FFP breach so their position just outside the relegation is false right now. Once the points deduction is applied they'll be in massive relegation trouble. 

I don't think they will be as motivated as we will be to win to set up a tie again Man Utd. 

• Flames 1

45 minutes ago, 22A said:

2 points off the drop (Luton with a game in hand) I'd suggest this will not be Forest's "last meaningful game" by any means!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We're gonna win it by them scoring an own goal with us having zero shots on target.  

They've admitted an FFP breach so their position just outside the relegation is false right now. Once the points deduction is applied they'll be in massive relegation trouble. 

I don't think they will be as motivated as we will be to win to set up a tie again Man Utd. 

I propose that Forest accept WSM's prediction and we can have a stress free night. All those in favour?

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, southside said:

First heard it from  Ipswich up there in the cup 78ish, followed by howls of laughter from our lot 🤣

Heard in in the East End years before 1978 - but not sure where it originated

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gimpymoo said:

We are in a similar position really, injuries, players at AFCON, players ineligible, total nightmare.

January could have been a quiet month but we insisted on turning two games into four, with one and maybe two going to extra time.

As mentioned above we got completely outplayed by Leeds, as a boxing comparison, we didn't land a punch. Unusual as typically we play well up to the final pass but don't take our chances. West Ham was a good example, we deserved to win the replay however the one goal was from an under hit back pass.

We could have done with an international window though I guess that applies to many teams.

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

As mentioned above we got completely outplayed by Leeds, as a boxing comparison, we didn't land a punch. Unusual as typically we play well up to the final pass but don't take our chances. West Ham was a good example, we deserved to win the replay however the one goal was from an under hit back pass.

We could have done with an international window though I guess that applies to many teams.

Spot-on. And I'll add that West Ham and Forest were coasting in comparison to Leeds' intensity.

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Apologies if this has been covered before, and before that probably, but how about this 4-4-1-1 line-up?

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner Dickie Roberts

Knight McCrorie Williams Bell

Wells

Conway

Seems a bit square pegs etc to me. Suppose it could be a narrow 4..

Why Knight on the right and McCrorie central for one?

Is James benched? If it is a narrow right side you want surely McCrorie and Tanner.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Where’s that ‘fingers crossed’ emoji gone?!!

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems a bit square pegs etc to me. Suppose it could be a narrow 4..

Why Knight on the right and McCrorie central for one?

Knight has played on the right for Derby and I think McCrorie has played in central midfield. I didn't want to lose Tanner, who has been our best one on one defender and McCrorie kicks ass.

I completely forgot about James! As soon as I heard about his knock I went into absentee mode. Its a default setting.

Edited by Curr Avon

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Knight has played on the right for Derby and I think McCrorie has played in central midfield. I didn't want to lose Tanner, who has been our best one on one defender and McCrorie kicks ass.

They can, but if I was Nottingham Forest I'd be targeting that extra man light in midfield for one which is what Wells and Conway can de facto lead to.

I suppose Knight can come inside in some phases..2 v 1 hmm. I'd be playing round the extra man while going man to man v Wells and Conway.

Likewise if Knight was to move inside to help I'd be going 2 v 1 vs Tanner or even in phases especially vs the left side with Roberts not having played much this year.

Wells and Conway have their duels vs the Nottingham Forest CBs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They can, but if I was Nottingham Forest I'd be targeting that extra man light in midfield for one which is what Wells and Conway can de facto lead to.

I suppose Knight can come inside in some phases..2 v 1 hmm. I'd be playing round the extra man while going man to man v Wells and Conway.

Likewise if Knight was to move inside to help I'd be going 2 v 1 vs Tanner or even in phases especially vs the left side with Roberts not having played much this year.

Wells and Conway have their duels vs the Nottingham Forest CBs.

Mr P, your insight is exemplary!

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Mr P, your insight is exemplary!

Tbh was just a theory by me..A swift early through ball to Conway, Wells or even Knight pushing on and the whole thing turns on its head.

If we score first Nottingham Forest are the unbalanced ones and your shape can counter nicely on them! Apart from Norwich at home we've won every game under Manning in which we scored first I think. It could well work anyway, early red card, early injury to Nottingham Forest, penalty to us..games aren't played on paper after all.

59 minutes ago, BCFC1959 said:

I first remember it from West Ham fans at AG in our first Div.1 season.

After that the EE and Park End would sing it at away fans in a Cockney accent.

'Ye goin' in the riva!', or similar.

24 minutes ago, Gimpymoo said:

We will have 8 subs... only just though.

Would not surprise me if we had less than that.

Of Saturday’s subs, Roberts will likely replace Pring, TGH is suspended and Nelson may stay with the u18s for their FAYC 5th round match with Burnley.

So we might go with 6, that assumes Matty James fit.  Tommy Backwell might come in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southside said:

1 hour ago, BCFC1959 said:

Definitely early 70's, always thought / assumed we meant the Cut.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Would not surprise me if we had less than that.

Of Saturday’s subs, Roberts will likely replace Pring, TGH is suspended and Nelson may stay with the u18s for their FAYC 5th round match with Burnley.

So we might go with 6, that assumes Matty James fit.  Tommy Backwell might come in.

Yep. I think we are ‘Bare Bones FC’ again tonight. 
If James isn’t fit we’ve only really got 14 players with first team experience. That includes 1 OAP in King and 2 full backs who are only just recovering from long term injuries (McCrorie & Roberts). 
So really only 11 players who have been ‘regular’ starters this season. 

I hear Courtney Sweetman Kirk on Talksport hasn’t done her research. 
Just on H&J show and she said “Forest may want to rest players so this gives Bristol City an advantage as they’ll be able to play a full strength team”. 
🤣🤣 Not very likely!! 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Here we are again - FA Cup night under the lights by the Trent. We’ve got players back now so the defence is stronger and Kouyate will come straight in to midfield alongside Danilo. Elanga is back as is Awoniyi so the frontline will be a lot quicker. I think we will field the strongest side and try to get it done by half time to rest Awoniyi and Elanga for the weekend. Hudson Odoi will probably be out after the studs down his Achilles vs Bournemouth.

Turner

Montial - Omobamidele - Murillo - Toffolo

Kouyate - Danilo

Williams - Gibbs White - Elanga

Awoniyi

3 minutes ago, Forest Red said:

Here we are again - FA Cup night under the lights by the Trent. We’ve got players back now so the defence is stronger and Kouyate will come straight in to midfield alongside Danilo. Elanga is back as is Awoniyi so the frontline will be a lot quicker. I think we will field the strongest side and try to get it done by half time to rest Awoniyi and Elanga for the weekend. Hudson Odoi will probably be out after the studs down his Achilles vs Bournemouth.

Turner

Montial - Omobamidele - Murillo - Toffolo

Kouyate - Danilo

Williams - Gibbs White - Elanga

Awoniyi

Done by half time,You won’t be so cocky when you seen our starting eleven.😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1