IGNORED

Purely as a fan, what is your expectation / hope for City?

reddogkev

Without listening to the consistently changing guff that comes out of the club hierarchy, what are the expectations of us, the fans?

Personally, I want City to develop and grow as a Championship club, which we are doing, and to get another long overdue crack at the play offs.

With that in mind, we're on the right track.  We'll definitely get there, my main frustration with the SL ownership is that it's taking far too long to achieve this.

Why can other smaller, or similar sized clubs overtake us so quickly?  That's the question I can never quite answer.

• Like 3

To be a modern, progressive football club with a combination of canny recruitment and homegrown talent.

This is exactly what the owners want as well, but they seem confused about how to achieve it.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Without listening to the consistently changing guff that comes out of the club hierarchy, what are the expectations of us, the fans

With that in mind, we're on the right track.  We'll definitely get there, my main frustration with the SL ownership is that it's taking far too long to achieve this.

Why can other smaller, or similar sized clubs overtake us so quickly?  That's the question I can never quite answer.

You've answered your own question!

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Without listening to the consistently changing guff that comes out of the club hierarchy, what are the expectations of us, the fans?

Personally, I want City to develop and grow as a Championship club, which we are doing, and to get another long overdue crack at the play offs.

Because they’re not being constrained by Lansdown..

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

The one thing for me that is a bare minimum is for the players to put a shift in. I'm quite picky about this because as a Bristol City fan I've watched hundreds of our players not put shifts in over the years.

Performances will always go up and down for a variety of reasons but putting a shift in and working hard should always be basic. That's what I was disappointed with against Leeds. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Connection. Pure and simple - the sense that fans, players, management and owners all respect each other and are pulling in the same direction and transacting honestly, working together to be the best they can whatever the level.

Thats what I think most fans expect from their club 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The one thing for me that is a bare minimum is for the players to put a shift in. I'm quite picky about this because as a Bristol City fan I've watched hundreds of our players not put shifts in over the years.

Performances will always go up and down for a variety of reasons but putting a shift in and working hard should always be basic. That's what I was disappointed with against Leeds. 

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

Leeds clearly had more skill than us but we lacked any intensity to our game to knock them off their stride

Last season and before I would argue that what Luton lack in skill they more than make up for in energy, intensity, commitment and a game plan

• Like 2

All I ask every game is the players give 100%. what do I expect every season in terms of positions in the league I think realistically we should be top half Lansdown is a small fish in HUGE pond these days if you compare to the clubs coming down we just can't compete with those clubs.

Trophies, that's the measure of any football club. I dream of seeing us win our first major honour in my lifetime. In the current format, that could only feasibly be a League Cup or FA Cup. So, get promoted, stay up, build a middling Prem squad (see Fulham, Brentford, Brighton), then go one step further and take advantage of a kind cup run to lift one of the domestic competitions.

All that said, I'm nearly 30 and am yet to see us lift anything. JPT in 2003 I was too small to take an interest, and the double in 2014-15 I was at ******* uni. Don't stay in school kids. So, I just want to see us break my personal duck asap.

• Thanks 1

I find as im getting older (and 20th year as season ticket holder) I care more about the long term protection of the club, and prefer the club to sign youngsters who they can develop and then sell on for good profit in the future. I want the club to progress/improve and have at least one season in the Premier League just so we can see the best players in the world at the Gate, but long term id rather stay in the Championship as i prefer the 'real football' with no prima donna's rolling round after a tackle and no VAR.

Maybe iv been spending too long playing Football Manager 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Trophies, that's the measure of any football club. I dream of seeing us win our first major honour in my lifetime. In the current format, that could only feasibly be a League Cup or FA Cup. So, get promoted, stay up, build a middling Prem squad (see Fulham, Brentford, Brighton), then go one step further and take advantage of a kind cup run to lift one of the domestic competitions.

This.

We've seen plenty of clubs our size and smaller become established in the Premier League, and seen a few of those go on to win major trophies (Wigan, Swansea, and Birmingham to name a few).

IMO, this is the top end limit of what we could realistically achieve as a football club. Therefore, this should be our aim.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Connection. Pure and simple - the sense that fans, players, management and owners all respect each other and are pulling in the same direction and transacting honestly, working together to be the best they can whatever the level.

Thats what I think most fans expect from their club 

Exactly this for me. We’ve had it in fairly recent times with GJ and Cotts and to a point with Nige under Gould. 

We couldn’t be further from it at the moment though, in my opinion. 

Whilst Premier League football would be nice for a bit I’ve actually felt more connected to City in league one than the Championship. Success is great of course, but being part of something meaningful is as good if not better. 

If we can get that connection and win trophies fantastic!

Edited by One Team
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Are we on the right track?

Why will we definitely get there ?

Until Lansdown sells the controlling stake in the club, interference, nepotism and cronyism will continue.

On that basis, I just want to avoid relegation until the club is run properly.

Clubs that overtake us are usually better managed.

• Like 4
  • Flames 4

Sometimes hope and expectations are aligned. Not in the case of Bristol City FC though.

My hope is that before the turn of 2024 I can see that we made tangible progress and that we have improved as a team and as a club as a direct result to bring in LM and the 2 transfer windows. With a plan for the next stage of progress.

My expectation is that I'm going to be disappointed.

• Like 1

To really be and act like a top 30 club in the country. No reason we cannot

By that I mean always challenging for promotion from this league, occasionally making it, being able to thrash teams in this league, not just edge a 1 goaler every third or fourth game

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

New owners. Lansdownes out!
Fed up with all the bull sh#t they spout off.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

By that I mean always challenging for promotion from this league, occasionally making it, being able to thrash teams in this league, not just edge a 1 goaler every third or fourth game

We do have a top 30 revenue in the country tbh so I don't see why not.

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

This.

We've seen plenty of clubs our size and smaller become established in the Premier League, and seen a few of those go on to win major trophies (Wigan, Swansea, and Birmingham to name a few).

IMO, this is the top end limit of what we could realistically achieve as a football club. Therefore, this should be our aim.

Yea I see this as our ceiling*. Doesn't take much digging to realise an awful lot of clubs have lifted at least one major (albeit many 50+ years ago when there was less of a gap to the 'big teams'). Would very much like us to join them!

*Without Man City/Chelsea esque takeover.

With this team I never expected play offs despite what the board may have spouted to get rid of NP, once the schedule gets a bit less congested I expect to have around 7-12th form until the end of the season. In the coming years would like to see a play off push but we are up against it due to competition (parachute teams and lots of similar sized clubs), no idea if the Manning gamble will work out or not will find out next season. Long term we should be aiming to have an extended run in the premier league like Palace/Brighton currently are having although I doubt I will ever see that.

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I previously said that I think our top-end potential is midtable club Premier League who can have a crack at an FA Cup / League Cup. That's never going to be our "steady state" though - i.e. we won't be doing that every year for 40 years.

In terms of a steady-state level of performance, I think your suggestion is very reasonable. Some good years at my theoretical top end, some bad years midtable in the Championship, and most of the time somewhere in the middle (i.e. around Championship top 6).

• Like 1

I might be in the minority but i'm happy to watch us in The Championship. I don't think The Prem is all its cracked up to be and is so heavily obsessed with the Big 6, that it wouldn't be as enjoyable as people think. Don't even get me started on VAR!

I would rather see us in a few Cup quarter/semi finals, playing attractive football with a sprinkling of local boys in the team.

I think as i've got older its become more about the day with my mates, and while a City defeat still ruins the weekend, i don't feel like i did 30 years ago.

I go to games with a number of mates who support other clubs and they all enjoy coming to The Gate and the matchday experience that we have.

• Hmmm 1

My hope: The club to get acquired by a sovereign wealth fund of a questionable nation  - pumped full of the worlds finest players and used as the gold standard in “sports washing” their human right records clean.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Jeez said:

My hope: The club to get acquired by a sovereign wealth fund of a questionable nation  - pumped full of the worlds finest players and used as the gold standard in “sports washing” their human right records clean.

That will constrain clubs in the future as it is now.

Even Newcastle can't entirely do what Chelsea, Man City or PSG did..Mike Ashley left a golden fiscal legacy but they are right up against limits.

The higher your base level, the easier it is to justify RPTs that enhance your spending power.

There are avenues which we can explore right now but they aren't huge gamechangers in the context of FFP and Parachute Payments...this wouldn't be changed by such a takeover.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous