IGNORED

Purely as a fan, what is your expectation / hope for City?

reddogkev

I'd love to see us financially secure (ie profitable) with a good depth in the squad with decent players (meant for whichever level we are in) who care deeply for the shirt, would run through walls for success. Success in this context is stable performances and edging toward silverware of some description. In addition, a good range of ticket prices to ensure that all can afford to continue supporting. 

Right, off to water the Unicorns and let the pigs out to fly.

6 hours ago, mozo said:

To be a modern, progressive football club with a combination of canny recruitment and homegrown talent.

The amount of times that word has been said since manning came in has really started to bug me

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning.

It is nothing of the kind.

The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

Danny Blanchflower 

Abraham R is a big Spurs fan though he isn't biased?

So just for him, here's a tale from 1961.

In 1960-61 Spurs did the League and Cup double with a fabulous team. In end September I went by train to Paddington en route to Southend United where City were playing on a Monday evening. I met Fred Ford on the train and we talked football all the way to London. He suggested that, as I could stay with relatives in London, that I go to Spurs to get a ticket for the second leg of the first round European Cup against Gornik of Poland who won the first leg 3-1.

When I got to the garden shed (ticket office) at White Hart Lane they said it was already a sell out. I had my City scarf on and I was asked which club? I told them about my journey with Ford and said he told me to get a ticket. The guy went to the back of the shed and brought me a complimentary ticket for the terracing called The Shelf. He said the ticket was for Mr Ford but if I didn't get it to him at Southend, I could use it instead.

Wednesday evening in a crowd of approx 65,000 I saw a fantastic display by Spurs who won 8-1 in the night. Players like Blanchflower, Medwin, Smith and brilliant Scotsman midfielder John White.

That was 63 years ago and I remember it as if it was yesterday. One of many great match memories.

PS. I detested Spurs when the knocked us out of FA and League Cup matches because I want City to win every time.

• Like 4

An owner who understands football and the business side. Someone who is strategic in their thinking and will employ the right people for the job.

I would expect BCFC to get promoted within the next 3-5 years, and see where it takes us. 

This never never / treading water approach is getting tedious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

I just want to see fast paced entertaining football i know its boring always looking back but from my seat in b block dolman how i yearn for the days of tinman and scotty as soon as the ball was played to tins the dolmoan would rise as one everyone knew what was going to happen tins would play the ball down the wing scotty would scorch past all defenders and wallop it into the roof of the net how yearn to see something similar now

What a question! We’ve all embarked on our Bristol City journey at different points in our lives. For me, it began when we were a midtable League One club, teetering on the edge of relegation to League Two. Back then, the Gas held sway as Bristol’s dominant team and I was in the minority at school when it came to Gas vs City supporters. I vividly recall those days when we scraped together every penny, yearning for the day when we’d stand tall as an established Championship side. And guess what? We’ve achieved just that.

As a devoted fan, I’ve witnessed Bristol City’s triumphs across iconic stadiums: the old Wembley, New Wembley, and the Millennium Stadium. We’ve celebrated a League One title, hoisted multiple JPT cups (aren’t we the record holders?), and battled it out in nail-biting Championship Finals. 

But here’s the crux: I want our beloved club to compete fiercely, yet responsibly. I envision Bristol City standing strong even 200 years from now, an integral part of our community. Yes, I yearn to see our team grace the Premier League, representing the very city I’m immensely proud to call home. However, not at the expense of our soul.

And let’s be real—I’m content. The Premier League remains a distant summit, a colossal task. Only three teams out of 24 achieve this each season. Three! Sure, we can grumble about missed opportunities, but as a football club and a passionate fanbase, we’ve had it pretty darn good. The Lansdowns deserve our gratitude; without them, I wouldn’t have witnessed this decent journey. Remember, it wasn't that long ago we were battling against Swindon. Look at them now. Let’s not forget our humble beginnings—the days when we were threadbare and broken. Those who’ve only known the recent success might not fully grasp the struggle and will have only know relatively good times under SL, so I get it, they know no different.  

• Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Without listening to the consistently changing guff that comes out of the club hierarchy, what are the expectations of us, the fans?

Personally, I want City to develop and grow as a Championship club, which we are doing, and to get another long overdue crack at the play offs.

With that in mind, we're on the right track.  We'll definitely get there, my main frustration with the SL ownership is that it's taking far too long to achieve this.

Why can other smaller, or similar sized clubs overtake us so quickly?  That's the question I can never quite answer.

Can you say why you think we are on the right track? Interested to hear your view on this.

Edit: Apologies if you have already done so, can’t be bothered to read through everything.

Edited by formerly known as ivan

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Without listening to the consistently changing guff that comes out of the club hierarchy, what are the expectations of us, the fans?

Personally, I want City to develop and grow as a Championship club, which we are doing, and to get another long overdue crack at the play offs.

With that in mind, we're on the right track.  We'll definitely get there, my main frustration with the SL ownership is that it's taking far too long to achieve this.

Why can other smaller, or similar sized clubs overtake us so quickly?  That's the question I can never quite answer.

Depends over what timescale you mean.

I don’t just want us to have a crack at the play offs. I haven’t spent 40 years supporting this club just to watch us lose a two legged tie against Ipswich Town or whoever.

I want us to achieve what Luton, Blackpool, Huddersfield and countless other clubs smaller than us have managed; promotion to the Premier League.

We really need to set our sights higher than merely “reaching the play offs”.

PS - I’m far from convinced we’ll “definitely get there”. I can’t see many reasons to think we won’t just being mid table for the rest of eternity.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Hope: promotion to the Prem, established safely in mid table, doing well in cups.

Expectation: continuing to lose millions a year, selling best assets to reduce losses, academy production hits a lean spell, relegation fights, relegation to league one, losing Bristol derby. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

What a question! We’ve all embarked on our Bristol City journey at different points in our lives. For me, it began when we were a midtable League One club, teetering on the edge of relegation to League Two. Back then, the Gas held sway as Bristol’s dominant team and I was in the minority at school when it came to Gas vs City supporters. I vividly recall those days when we scraped together every penny, yearning for the day when we’d stand tall as an established Championship side. And guess what? We’ve achieved just that.

As a devoted fan, I’ve witnessed Bristol City’s triumphs across iconic stadiums: the old Wembley, New Wembley, and the Millennium Stadium. We’ve celebrated a League One title, hoisted multiple JPT cups (aren’t we the record holders?), and battled it out in nail-biting Championship Finals. 

But here’s the crux: I want our beloved club to compete fiercely, yet responsibly. I envision Bristol City standing strong even 200 years from now, an integral part of our community. Yes, I yearn to see our team grace the Premier League, representing the very city I’m immensely proud to call home. However, not at the expense of our soul.

And let’s be real—I’m content. The Premier League remains a distant summit, a colossal task. Only three teams out of 24 achieve this each season. Three! Sure, we can grumble about missed opportunities, but as a football club and a passionate fanbase, we’ve had it pretty darn good. The Lansdowns deserve our gratitude; without them, I wouldn’t have witnessed this decent journey. Remember, it wasn't that long ago we were battling against Swindon. Look at them now. Let’s not forget our humble beginnings—the days when we were threadbare and broken. Those who’ve only known the recent success might not fully grasp the struggle and will have only know relatively good times under SL, so I get it, they know no different.  

A well written post brimming with positivity, TM! Now I'm going to be the voice of negativity 😂

You say that only 3 teams out of 24 achieve promotion each season. True, but at this point, only 5 current Championship teams HAVEN'T achieved promotion to the Premier League. And every couple of years another smaller club reaches that milestone before us. Last year it was Luton, before that it was Brentford, before that it was Bournemouth.

You say "we've had it pretty darn good". Have we!?!? 0 major trophies. 0 seasons of Premier League football. 9 seaons of top flight football in our entire history, most of which were pre-WW1. Are there any clubs in cities as big as Bristol, who can pull in a 20k+ attendence for a midtable Championship game with nothing to play for, who have achieved just as little as we have? 

I would argue that compared to our peers, Bristol City FC & our fans have had a pretty darn awful time of it!

• Like 6

No Expectations nowadays, mostly down to the recent reset, when the board needed to be a bit more patient and let the previous manager continue building (after tidying up the previous mess...)

Hopes = to see our team run out on the 1st day of our premier league debut at Ashton Gate against Arsenal and beat them 1 nil, like we did in 1976 at Highbury. Then become a top flight club for longer than 4 seasons. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Great topic by the way. I will throw something in to keep this going...

Question...

Will Bristol City get promoted to the Premier League (under Lansdown Family) by 2035? A simple yes or no or an educated percentage guess...

I'm going 65% chance...

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Question...

Will Bristol City get promoted to the Premier League (under Lansdown Family) by 2035? A simple yes or no or an educated percentage guess...

I'm going 65% chance...

To build a squad around the likes of Semenyo, Kelly, Scott, Webster, Pring, Conway and get promoted to the Premier League, or buy our way there I dont care anymore I just want success.

I get the feeling Im not alone when I say I dont think we will ever get there with the current ownershit.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Question...

I'm going 65% chance...

Never say never. 

But it would be fuke. 

Premier League or not, the future health of the club depends on them leaving in my opinion.

Hope: we keep on hoping

expect: very little

hope: we do not become a premiershit franchise style product…

expect: not to see hundreds of coaches from distant cities spewing out city shirted followers with fake accents shouting “cheers drive”

hope: I can still afford my season ticket

expect: grey with rare dazzling sunshine

Fairly ambivalent about promotion to the prem, to be honest, particularly if it comes via a late push to 6th and success via the playoffs. I can’t think of a single member of the current squad that you could say with any real confidence would be a solid top flight player. Doing a Florist and buying 45 new players in the close season doesn’t really appeal.(In that great 1976 game at Arsenal that another poster mentioned, City started with the same 11 that had one promotion. And yes, we had to strengthen and certainly it was a struggle, but it was a happier experience than now). Sure, if we got auto with a solid spine and high confidence, but Burnley did that last year and have been rank this season. As an older man, wins/good football makes me happy, while defeats/bad football makes me miserable at 5pm on a Saturday. After the last 3-4 years, my main ambition is simply to experience more of the former than the latter.

• Like 1

My City ambitions are the same as they’ve alway been - being in the running come the last 10-12 games of the season and I doubt that will ever change.

I’d love to see us have at least one season in the PL tho an get to see all the top PL clubs at AG even when the SC card prices go up as they undoubtedly would.

Expectation - Under this ownership and current board to be forever mid table in the Championship and focusing on the academy.

Hope - One day we take the shackles off, create an attacking identity of our own instead of copying other club's and have a good go in this League and maybe get promotion. I just think at the moment the club is all a bit stale, and boring.

As a fan of nearly 60 years I always want to see progress. In terms of the club and the team.  Most of us spend disproportionate amounts of our waking life thinking about City and it is far more rewarding when those thoughts are positive.  Many on here seem to only see the worst in terms of the character and motivation of staff, players and the owners. Maybe that is because they view these things through the lens of their own character and personality. 

I love the way that the club has been developed since the 1960s  it is totally unrecognisable from the old stadium and training facilities. The food is better and the players are now better coached and scientifically prepared. All the staff try their best and nobody seems to be a negative influence. Teams come and go but the current crop and squad development are incredibly exciting and I am really looking forward to next season to see how it all takes shape.  Mind you I always look forward to the next season. Hopefully it will all continue to improve before my time is over and generations of fans in the future will have the enjoyment that I have had as a fan. We owe so much to all those who have tried as players, coaches, managers and owners to make a difference.  Being a City fan has ups and downs but it is a lifestyle choice. Bloody wonderful!!

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I hate to say after nearly 40 years of watching City my expectations are so low that I am not sure that I have any expectations anymore

But I would take a small wager that you really look forward to every next game!!!  Come on,  admit it that you are one of us "happy clappers" at heart!

• Robin 1

Gave up on the dream of reaching the Prem years ago. Was just thinking a crack at reaching it may be possible in the next 18 months when the Lansdowns pulled the rug from under us again.

Would love to see us competitive in this league for the next few seasons. i.e top 10 occasional play offs. We are never going to be playing Fantasy 'front foot football', so a team of triers with a sprinkle of magic would be nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I hate to say after nearly 40 years of watching City my expectations are so low that I am not sure that I have any expectations anymore

I'm only in my mid-30s so you've endured this club longer than me, but scrolling through this thread I just kept coming back to this view - you can't really expect anything, can you?!

The older I've become the more I've realised how little influence we have over anything and, so, how redundant the concept of any kind of expectation is.

However, I do hope that at some point during my lifetime on the opening Saturday of the season I'm able to put Match of the Day on and see us among the running order. It's kind of remarkable that 50 football clubs have been able to experience that at least once during the course of the past 32 years... but we still haven't.

• Like 2