IGNORED

Frank Rothwell - Oldham

Yozzarian

Just a small post as after seeing it this morning on Sky Sports News, I'm filled with admiration. At the age of 73, Oldham's Chairman is rowing solo across the Atlantic to raise money for Alzheimers. He's 2 months in and has capsized three times. His motto, 'If you can do something to help people, do it.' He has a Just Giving page apparently.

What should Jon do I wonder?

Edited by Yozzarian
  • Like 5

Respect for that! And good to see Oldham reducing prices for his homecoming too.

JustGiving page is here: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/frankrothwell

Latics are giving supporters a chance to watch the upcoming home game against Kidderminster Harriers for just £1 - in order to give chairman Frank Rothwell a very special welcome back to his home town.

Ticket prices have been slashed in a bid to pack out Boundary Park to create a memorable homecoming for the chairman and back the team in a crucial fixture on Saturday, February 24 (kick-off 3pm).

https://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/139/main-news/155047/latics-reduce-admission-to-£1-for-heroic-chairman-franks-homecoming-match

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yozzarian said:

Just a small post as after seeing it this morning on Sky Sports News, I'm filled with admiration. At the age of 73, Oldham's Chairman is rowing solo across the Atlantic to raise money for Alzheimers. He's 2 months in and has capsized three times. His motto, 'If you can do something to help people, do it.' He has a Just Giving page apparently.

What should Jon do I wonder?

Keep rowing

• Haha 1

If the name "Frank Rothwell" doesn't conjure up the sight of an old man, in a flat cap, smoking 60 a day, whilst leaning against a doorway, in a row of terraced houses, somewhere grim up North, and watching the little scamps in the street kick about a football that's never seen grass, then I don't know what does.

Good luck to the man. A very worthy cause.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

One of those things I just can’t comprehend. I do plenty of endurance running, but being out at sea is something else entirely. Even the thought of being out there terrifies me. Fair play to him!

The huge expanse and depth of the sea is the stuff of nightmares...and being out there alone when massive waves may hit is awful. People have been lost doing precisely what he's doing.

Edited by Yozzarian
  • Like 1