IGNORED

Well done lads

MrRedRobin

Real ‘close but no cigar’ moment.

Thought given the last 20 of normal time we would do very well to get to penalties. In the end we should really have won it in the last 15.

I see lots who always say ‘I just want to see everyone give 100% for the shirt’. Well, that’s what it looks like when they do, so take a bow.

Difficult to know whether these 4 cup games have sucked out some passion from the league games, but want to see the same thing there now.

• Like 4

Positive performance, but we lost and the season is effectively over. Just feel a bit empty really 😂

So much potential in players like TC but unlikely to be here next season, and not sure where the next TC is coming from. Perhaps Palmer-Houden can come in and make his mark next season.

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I’m not fussed at all by the penalty taker choices tonight.

Nobody can complain about that performance and I pray it transfers into our league performances 

This is the million dollar question isn’t it. Weve done well across the four cup games but the league is the bread and butter and we’ve been rubbish since Boxing Day .

interested to see how this pans out over the next few months. If we don’t win again for a further 4 or 5 games we might be looking over our shoulders.

we don’t score enough goals so it’s not impossible.

• Like 2

When the opposition score all five of their penalties, that’s very difficult to match. Credit to Mehmeti, Cornick and Wells for converting under such pressure, unlucky Sam Bell.

I feel our season isn’t quite over yet. We’ve got another 12 points to accumulate before we can hit the magical 50. Hopefully we can do that sooner rather than later!

• Like 1

My main concern is we haven’t followed any of the previous three cup games with good league form. Sometimes the good performance has carried over a little, but we just can’t get results. Bit of a slog for a few months now but there will be some highs along the way I’m sure. 

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrRedRobin said:

What a performance from the lads tonight I feel so bad for all of them they all worked their socks off and ultimately don't deserve to be on the loosing end but unfortunately football can be a cruel sport. A lot to take from the game. I wasn't there but by all accounts from what I have seen Jamie Knight-Lebel seemed to do well when he came on the pitch, I really hope he can start to develop further because he seems a really good prospect. I feel really bad for Bell tonight he put in a brilliant tackle at the end of the game to stop Forest winning in injury time and he worked his socks off all game, you can never doubt Sam's effort. I just feel so bad for him he stepped up to take a penalty when it seems no one else would. I am not disappointed by any of our players tonight however as much as I understand taking penalties is huge pressure I just wish some more senior players offered to take a penalty like Williams, James etc rather than put the younger players in pressured situations. Admittedly, it feels there isn't going to be anything to play for now so our main focus needs to be ending the season on a high and hopefully give some minutes to players like Jamie Knight-Lebel who could have really good futures ahead of them. COYR!

All good stuff but if you could have used paragraphs would have been so much easier to read,

My eyes hurt now

• Haha 1

Yep the signs are good and it is no fluke that over the 4 games (and nearly 400 minutes of football) against premier league opposition we have matched or bettered what's in front of us and played some good football in the process. Just look at the comments from pundits and commentators during those games, commending our approach with only the finishing department the difference. Keep the faith!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes well done LM and squad for 4 games wherever really did show we can mix it at a higher level.

Now the tough job in making sure we just don't give up as season seems over. The squad must stay together in wanting to improve and showing in the league what we have in the FAcup.

Yeah, we were very much 'more than the sum of our parts' last night, which was often what Nige achieved and was rightly praised for.

For us to be so competitive with a line up including so many barely match fit players, and so many players that are criticised (by me, as well as others) for not being Championship quality, is a really good sign.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

There’s short memories but it was only a few days ago the same players got battered by Leeds. Where was that endeavour then? 

They didn’t look so tired last night….

Fine, well done, we knocked one weakened premier league team out a cup this season. Nothing new compared to previous seasons.

Franky I want to see those same performances, much more consistently in the championship please.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

There’s short memories but it was only a few days ago the same players got battered by Leeds. Where was that endeavour then? 

Fine, well done, we knocked one weakened premier league team out a cup this season. Nothing new compared to previous seasons.

Franky I want to see those same performances, much more consistently in the championship please.

Well in all comps that's one poor performance in the last 6 games, so don't get yourself too distraught about it. 

Yeah we would like more points, but that's football.

9 hours ago, Sturny said:

I’m not fussed at all by the penalty taker choices tonight.

Nobody can complain about that performance and I pray it transfers into our league performances 

The latter is how I feel too. Proud of the FA Cup performances, but can’t help but have the niggling feeling that I just wish they were actually in the league. 

Follow this up with a poor performance at Boro & vs Saints and it’ll be tough to take, and these performances probably forgotten

Just now, petehinton said:

The latter is how I feel too. Proud of the FA Cup performances, but can’t help but have the niggling feeling that I just wish they were actually in the league. 

Follow this up with a poor performance at Boro & vs Saints and it’ll be tough to take, and these performances probably forgotten

I presume that doesn't mean that you expect wins? Just good performances? 

For example we came away with draws against Watford and Coventry recently and played pretty well, but weren't clinical enough to win the games.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

With the short turnaround it's going to be tough on Saturday and obviously Saints will be even tougher. 

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I presume that doesn't mean that you expect wins? Just good performances? 

For example we came away with draws against Watford and Coventry recently and played pretty well, but weren't clinical enough to win the games.

Not necessary, I’d rather see the consistency in performances over sneaking the wins overall. Although there’s also no getting away from the fact we haven’t won in the league since Boxing Day, so there does need to be some give. Boro particularly feels pretty big, given our decent record there over the years, and the fact we could either go above them or fall further away from even mid table heading into facing one of the form sides in Europe  

3 minutes ago, Super said:

With the short turnaround it's going to be tough on Saturday and obviously Saints will be even tougher. 

Dire, TGH, Pring, James all played no/limited minutes though. So we can freshen things up. 

• Like 2

Same old City I’m afraid. Fed up with always being the heroes after losing big cup games and play-off finals, we are perennial losers. Doesn’t matter if it’s the 1st team, under 21s or the ladies. Even the Bears cracked a few years back having been 40 odd point to nil at half-time. Let’s stop patting ourselves on the back for having a soft underbelly and underdog mindset. Given Forest’s league position I wouldn’t have thought they’d have been too bothered going out last night?! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well in all comps that's one poor performance in the last 6 games, so don't get yourself too distraught about it. 

Yeah we would like more points, but that's football.

Not distraught, but thanks for your concern! 

Nicely selected sample size - another sample for you: 

3 wins in 10 games in the league.

0 wins in 6 games in the league.

Stand by what I say, a few draws against weakened premier league teams can’t mask the, totally valid, opinion that feels we’re under achieving in the league…IM calm O

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I think that Leeds performance was as good a pressing , hard working performance I've seen for a while. Add that they carried a threat throughout the team and I think we have to say they were just a better team playing near the top of their game.

Having not been able to watch I wonder if Forest sat off a little more, some Prem teams can do that at times. Made it easier for us to play and meant we did less running and chasing after losing the ball.

West Ham , I believe , played pretty much the strongest side they could have put out, in both games . Not weakened , injury hit maybe.

We all want more consistency ( in a good way ) with the team . I'm hoping as they get more and more used to what Manning wants, it will come. Add that Saturday will be the first time we have almost a full squad to chose from and it could make a difference. 
I'm hoping that , being away to a Promotion favourite will help to stop any drop off of form or intensity . Time will tell.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Not necessary, I’d rather see the consistency in performances over sneaking the wins overall. Although there’s also no getting away from the fact we haven’t won in the league since Boxing Day, so there does need to be some give. Boro particularly feels pretty big, given our decent record there over the years, and the fact we could either go above them or fall further away from even mid table heading into facing one of the form sides in Europe  

Dire, TGH, Pring, James all played no/limited minutes though. So we can freshen things up. 

Yeah, I wonder if to settle people down, a scruffy undeserved win would be better than a well-deserved draw? I don't which would get least criticism.

Definitely we can freshen it up, although I'm not sure if Bell or Mehmeti still need to tough it out. James is the only one that I'm not sure about because he had a knock prior to last night.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Not distraught, but thanks for your concern! 

Nicely selected sample size - another sample for you: 

3 wins in 10 games in the league.

0 wins in 6 games in the league.

Stand by what I say, a few draws against weakened premier league teams can’t mask the, totally valid, opinion that feels we’re under achieving in the league…IM calm O

Yeah I can't argue with the points return. It's not great, is it. 

But your original post was focusing on endeavour, hence I picked up on that. And the sample I used was our most recent, and therefore most relevant, form. We won 3 on the bounce in December, but that feels like a lifetime ago now, and we've had disappointments v Brum, Millwall, Preston and Leeds since then.

Edited by mozo

3 hours ago, Cidre Monita said:

Same old City I’m afraid. Fed up with always being the heroes after losing big cup games and play-off finals, we are perennial losers. Doesn’t matter if it’s the 1st team, under 21s or the ladies. Even the Bears cracked a few years back having been 40 odd point to nil at half-time. Let’s stop patting ourselves on the back for having a soft underbelly and underdog mindset. Given Forest’s league position I wouldn’t have thought they’d have been too bothered going out last night?! 

Please remind me which game the bears were 40 odd points to nil at half time. If you are referring to Bristol v Harlequins, then Bristol only scored 36 points in the whole game.