IGNORED

Sniffer dogs at football grounds

Glasgow Red

I and the overwhelming majority of fans there last night are law-abiding citizens. Im sure I will be accused of being too sensitive, but I think the amount of times I was subjected to a police officer bringing their dog around my legs last night was a total violation of my right to privacy and human rights. There must have been a team of about 10-12 dog handlers in total and at the turnstiles I was approached 3-4 times while in the queue.

I live in Glasgow so dont make many away games, but I was shocked, is this the norm now? Does anyone else feel deeply uncomfortable with this? The 3rd time I was approached I honestly felt like telling the police officer to back off, but of course, that's not advised with some of these lunatics that claim to be public servants. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

I and the overwhelming majority of fans there last night are law-abiding citizens. Im sure I will be accused of being too sensitive, but I think the amount of times I was subjected to a police officer bringing their dog around my legs last night was a total violation of my right to privacy and human rights. There must have been a team of about 10-12 dog handlers in total and at the turnstiles I was approached 3-4 times while in the queue.

I live in Glasgow so dont make many away games, but I was shocked, is this the norm now? Does anyone else feel deeply uncomfortable with this? The 3rd time I was approached I honestly felt like telling the police officer to back off, but of course, that's not advised with some of these lunatics that claim to be public servants. 

As per usual it is the minority who spoil it for the majority. Clever lads who drug themselves up to go to a match are always going to be accidents waiting to happen ( it’s bad enough the kiddies who have one shandy too many) so there has to be certain controls and no I don’t like it either but what’s the alternative ? 

• Like 4

I've been approached at an airport , the only thing they got annoyed about was people trying to pet the dog.
I don't see it as a problem, more concerned if it was an ordinary dog handler, those dogs get arsey quickly.

It's just the way in a changing World, doesn't really do any harm.  I remember being concerned about going through a metal detector at Upton Park in the early 90's , fast forward to this years game and did anyone take any notice of the hand held ones ? Apart from slowing the queues maybe.

3 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Personally I find it hard not to make a fuss of the dogs and give their ears a good ruffle

Just saw this before I posted. The Officers at the Airport really got a little strop on with anyone trying to pet them 🤣

24 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

If you’ve got nothing to hide you should have nothing to worry about 

This is the kind of bootlicker response I feared. Just because I have nothing to hide does not mean that I shouldn't be concerned about my own privacy in a free society. 

I was with someone last night who really doesn't like dogs (can make her anxious) too, there are many aspects to this that make it a ridiculous thing to do to people that are just going to a football game

Edited by Glasgow Red
  • Like 10
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

This is the kind of bootlicker response I feared. Just because I have nothing to hide does not mean that I shouldn't be concerned about my own privacy in a free society. 

But your privacy isn't being invaded if you've nothing to hide in the context of the police using a sniffer dog. Your personal space, sure, but your privacy isn't.

• Like 2

But if society is too free it becomes a dangerous place? My only worry would be picking up traces of drugs off other people whilst travelling and being innocently targeted.

Just to be clear I know not to make a fuss of the dogs at the airport but it isn't easy for children to ignore them. Airports are stressful places and having a cute dog running around can be the highlight of the journey TBH.

I do accept that being a football fan is different. The police behaviour can default to 'mean spirited and suspicious' mode so I understand the OP in this case.

11 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

I was with someone last night who really doesn't like dogs (can make her anxious) too, there are many aspects to this that make it a ridiculous thing to do to people that are just going to a football game

All the info you need to the ' Rights' is on here...

https://www.release.org.uk/blog/uk-festivals-sniffer-dogs-their-regulations-your-rights

38 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

This is all well and good until you have people in power like the Nazis. (An extreme example I admit)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

Thing is that every time this argument is trotted out about something or other it's always about the state taking more control from individuals.

What next, breathalysers for anybody suspected of being over some limit?

Anyway, back to the point at hand - if someone has, say, smoked a joint before the match does it matter? Not to me - it only matters if they go on to do something wrong in the stadium, and if they do they should be punished for the actual offence committed.

This is only the latest in a list of restrictions put of football supporters because somebody  might do somethong wrong. (Crowds fenced in, early kickoffs/bubble games, bags being searched etc).

Well, in theory we all might do something wrong and that doesn't justify the state intruding taking a greater grip of all our lives. Time this nonsense stopped.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, KendrickDNB said:

Were they even drugs dogs - they are for pyrotechnics usually?

Forest have certainly used pyrotechnics dogs before and won’t have been handled by Police officers as these dogs would be from private security companies.

I was at the Under 18s last night so didn’t see these dogs or handlers.

Were they definitely Police or Private security who often like to look as much like the Police as possible 

54 minutes ago, broodje said:

But your privacy isn't being invaded if you've nothing to hide in the context of the police using a sniffer dog. Your personal space, sure, but your privacy isn't.

Fair point. And to be clear at no point was I asked to be searched or anything. I think at that point it would have become a privacy issue

21 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Thing is that every time this argument is trotted out about something or other it's always about the state taking more control from individuals.

What next, breathalysers for anybody suspected of being over some limit?

Anyway, back to the point at hand - if someone has, say, smoked a joint before the match does it matter? Not to me - it only matters if they go on to do something wrong in the stadium, and if they do they should be punished for the actual offence committed.

This is only the latest in a list of restrictions put of football supporters because somebody  might do somethong wrong. (Crowds fenced in, early kickoffs/bubble games, bags being searched etc).

Well, in theory we all might do something wrong and that doesn't justify the state intruding taking a greater grip of all our lives. Time this nonsense stopped.

Well said Sir. This articualtes the point perfectly. As someone that never does anything illegal it feels totally gross and unfair to be treated in that way by the state. Its a targetted attack on football fans. I spent many a night out in places full of people that do drugs and get in fights and break the law and not once seen a dog.

Edited by Glasgow Red

17 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

Well said Sir. This articualtes the point perfectly. As someone that never does anything illegal it feels totally gross and unfair to be treated in that way by the state. Its a targetted attack on football fans. I spent many a night out in places full of people that do drugs and get in fights and break the law and not once seen a dog.

As the property you are trying to enter is private property the owners are perfectly entitled to put any pre-conditions they like on you entering their property, providing they do not discriminate on the grounds of a protected characteristic.  Likewise if you don't want to be subject to the attention you don't need to go anywhere near the ground.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hxj said:

As the property you are trying to enter is private property the owners are perfectly entitled to put any pre-conditions they like on you entering their property, providing they do not discriminate on the grounds of a protected characteristic.  Likewise if you don't want to be subject to the attention you don't need to go anywhere near the ground.

Excuse me for being flippant, but that doesn't make it right or appropriate.

Anyway, after thinking about it, I am going to write a complaint and send it to NFFC. Not that I'm expecting them to do anything.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Glasgow Red said:

Pretty much the same every time I fly

Tbh, the stuff mentioned on this thread so far pales into insignificance, compared to the female Newcastle fan, who’s just got a 2 year ban from the ground.  

All she did was post online that men transitioning to women aren’t women!  None of the club’s business and they’re owned by Saudi’s anyway, so not exactly  famous for their human rights record.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Pretty much the same every time I fly

You serious? Were you there last night? I travel through airports a dozen times a year and cant remember the last time I was approached by a police officer this way.

2 hours ago, Glasgow Red said:

Police dogs were there probably because of the history between Forest and City fans especially after our ‘fans’ wrecked a wine shop up there not so long ago.