IGNORED

Sniffer dogs at football grounds

Glasgow Red

13 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

Excuse me for being flippant, but that doesn't make it right or appropriate.

Anyway, after thinking about it, I am going to write a complaint and send it to NFFC. Not that I'm expecting them to do anything.

The way these dogs work is simply by air scenting.

They pass by a queue of people or they just mingle amongst the crowds.

It’s no more of an issue than a dog passing you by on the street or in the local park.

Can’t really see why it necessitates a letter of complaint.

If it prevents somebody taking a pyrotechnic or drugs into the ground then I’m fine with it.

How do you feel about CCTV because football grounds are covered in it and will be able to monitor inside and outside the ground. The dog pales into insignificance compared to that 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Hxj said:

As the property you are trying to enter is private property the owners are perfectly entitled to put any pre-conditions they like on you entering their property, providing they do not discriminate on the grounds of a protected characteristic.  Likewise if you don't want to be subject to the attention you don't need to go anywhere near the ground.

In this case the OP said that they were police officers (not representatives of NFFC).

Don't think that football clubs can just apply their own rules with no involvement of the authorities - the involvement of the police at matches isn't optional for football clubs.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Police dogs were there probably because of the history between Forest and City fans especially after our ‘fans’ wrecked a wine shop up there not so long ago.

It’ll be a very different dog sniffing for drugs than preventing or dealing with disorder.

If they were police dogs then it won’t have been General Purpose dogs being walked through the crowds.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

This is all well and good until you have people in power like the Nazis. (An extreme example I admit)

or the Tories....

joking aside, there is a scary erosion of civil liberties at the moment, the latest one regarding prosecuting people in masks, which is so catch all as to be unworkable, but you suspect they will shove it through.

We have seen plenty of evidence (at the coronation for example) of people getting pulled, held for hours and then released with no charge and a feeble apology. it's all done in a creeping, low level manner, but not great.

back to the OP, i understand entirely his unease.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

A wine shop? 

Because I’m not interested in that type of idiocy I’m not sure what premises it was that got smashed up. I read that it was a wine shop/bar type place.

One thing  for definite - the idiots amongst the Forest fans won’t have forgotten that.

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

He hasn’t got a clue

Very true on this matter RRL. I’m not remotely interested in our ‘fans’ vandalising away premises. It does piss me off that that type of behaviour gives our club a poor reputation for thuggery and vandalism.

I daresay that you share the same view RRL……….:dunno:

55 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

Excuse me for being flippant, but that doesn't make it right or appropriate.

Anyway, after thinking about it, I am going to write a complaint and send it to NFFC. Not that I'm expecting them to do anything.

Dog and police and security are there for a good reason 

the safety of people attending advents 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because I’m not interested in that type of idiocy I’m not sure what premises it was that got smashed up. I read that it was a wine shop/bar type place.

One thing  for definite - the idiots amongst the Forest fans won’t have forgotten that.

Yet you are interested enough to post inaccurate comments many years after the incident as facts 🙄

• Confused 1

Unless Officer Willow was an XL Bully with someone's torn off arm in its mouth, or dry humped your leg, maybe just be grateful someone is trying to protect your safety as you enter an enclosed space with any number of random nutters?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

As per usual it is the minority who spoil it for the majority. Clever lads who drug themselves up to go to a match are always going to be accidents waiting to happen ( it’s bad enough the kiddies who have one shandy too many) so there has to be certain controls and no I don’t like it either but what’s the alternative ? 

A bit of a fashion accessory is coke for most of the chaps who might play up. Often cut heavily, its effects are in my opinion overrated.

Most of the same chaps are necking cider down for hours pre match and thats more likely to cause aggression over a prolonged period, with opportunities to top up available on the concourse.

Despite the media push, any fv you see in the uk is nothing like the 70s or 80s where coke wasnt an option.

Just my opinion, but if OB want to do this then plot up outside certain pubs in south Bristol from noon, that way most punters are unmolested.

I was down Torquay last year and police were doing that above, going around the pubs of Brixham Paignton and Torquay with a dog at weekends and they arrested double figures, if they did that here, imagine the manpower, and the cells would be full by 6pm, too much work for them, I reckon 

23 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Yet you are interested enough to post inaccurate comments many years after the incident as facts 🙄

It’s almost impossible not to see threads on here RRL but as I posted whether the premises was a wine shop/bar isn’t the point.

Vandalism and thuggery are the point which I’m sure you are against?…………:cool2:

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s almost impossible not to see threads on here RRL but as I posted whether the premises was a wine shop/bar isn’t the point.

But it is possible to read those threads and accurately repeat what you’ve read, is it not?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glasgow Red said:

Fair point. And to be clear at no point was I asked to be searched or anything. I think at that point it would have become a privacy issue

Well said Sir. This articualtes the point perfectly. As someone that never does anything illegal it feels totally gross and unfair to be treated in that way by the state. Its a targetted attack on football fans. I spent many a night out in places full of people that do drugs and get in fights and break the law and not once seen a dog.

But you're not "treated in that way" by the state because of a desire to erode civil liberties....you're "treated in that way" because of the idiots who do do something illegal.  I would respectfully suggest your annoyance is aimed in the wrong direction.  If it wasn't for coked up, tanked up bell-ends then the police and dogs wouldn't be seen as required. To me, that's the biggest problem in society.  No accountability levelled at our peers (i.e. general citizens) and instead being aimed at the public services.

* the reason for the inverted commas is that I don't actually understand in what way you feel you were treated...you've admitted that at no time did anyone ask to search you, so it seems the treatment was in having a dog sniff around near where you were?  

• Like 5

I don't know what the problem is here? It didn't bother me in the slightest. 

At the end of normal time in the toilets there were people singing about drugs who had already clearly been on the drugs.

A flare was also thrown towards the direction of Forest fans after the winnings penalty. 

It sounds like a lot of the issue here was disorganisation over who had been searched and who hadn't. The reality is drug use is up at games (and, to be honest, I have been to more than one away game this season where coked up ***** are making it less fun for everyone else - although it must be said Southampton away wasn't all that much fun in the first place!) and I've no issue with being searched or examined by a sniffer dog on entry but there isn't any need for the same person to be sniffed by three different dogs. And I do think people on this thread are being a little unfair - I don't mind being searched but I totally get some other people get a bit intimidated or nervous around dogs so I do get why it makes others uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

In this case the OP said that they were police officers (not representatives of NFFC).

Don't think that football clubs can just apply their own rules with no involvement of the authorities - the involvement of the police at matches isn't optional for football clubs.

I'm not so sure. Didn't a fellow red object to having his wallet searched by stewards at QPR earlier in the season? From memory, the police told them he had 2 choices, do as they asked or not enter the stadium. I doubt that QPR applied and had this approach agreed formally in a court of law.

If a minority of football supporters weren't arseholes it wouldn't be needed. They (police/stewards etc) don't do the same when you enter the hippodrome to watch panto with your kids or granny. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

As long as City don't make me stand on the roof of the Lansdown Stand (heights) whilst addressing the crowd (public speaking) I will be ok.

Next time you’re in an audience listening to a public speaker think about how you feel about whoever the speaker is ( not what their speaking about)

Are you judging them? Is it a negative feeling? 

If not then you can bet that the other audience members feel the same as you.

Its a good mental attitude to adopt if ever you’re in a position where you have to speak to a crowd.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Next time you’re in an audience listening to a public speaker think about how you feel about whoever the speaker is ( not what their speaking about)

Are you judging them? Is it a negative feeling? 

If not then you can bet that the other audience members feel the same as you.

Its a good mental attitude to adopt if ever you’re in a position where you have to speak to a crowd.

Old father Isewater told me before a public speaking engagement ‘ Son, imagine the audience naked and you won’t be intimidated ‘

Well I wasn’t intimidated but I completely forgot my speech.

Oh My God Wow GIF

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Old father Isewater told me before a public speaking engagement ‘ Son, imagine the audience naked and you won’t be intimidated ‘

Well I wasn’t intimidated but I completely forgot my speech.

Oh My God Wow GIF

And certainly not appropriate if you were giving a talk in a school !

That advice has its limits.

• Haha 1

Got to be honest, I don’t see what the problem was with the dogs. They weren’t intrusive, in the way that the searches we’ve come to take for granted are.

If it keeps pyros out of the ground, and if it stops the coked up arseholes that occasionally make life so unpleasant when we have a big away following from getting into the ground, then it’s fine with me.

• Like 2