IGNORED

Great Result, but….

Davefevs

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

I feel the fact we played 120 minutes midweek invited the pressure.

We didn't press anywhere near as well as the 2nd half went on, we looked knackered and off our feet. The changes pushed us deeper, but at that point we were trying to conserve the win, going for anything more would have been ridiculous, they'd have walked through us

That could have a saying but Dave will be able to tell us how much we ran midweek 

Southampton were 2-0 down at home at half time and ended up winning

Man City were 0-0 at home at half time and ended up winning 

We were 2-0 up at half time away and ended up winning.

It’s very rare that teams play a 90 minute perfect game of football for a whole host of reasons so I think all in all a 2-1 away win should be taken in that context

We were definitely not great in the 2nd half, invited too much pressure so those points are valid but we ended up winning by hanging on which plenty of teams do week in and week out whatever the level 

A million miles from the perfect performance but enjoy the win and roll on Tuesday, unless we’re winning 2-0 at half time…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yea for a head coach who says "if they've not got the ball they can't score" it's very strange that we let them have the ball. 

He's constantly going on about principles but then his principles are ever changing. 

Can you ever get over Nige ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Same on Wednesday, we made the subs and changed shape (in part due to personnel) and lost control for the last half hour of normal time.

Musf admit I haven’t seen today or read anything yet, except catching a bit of radio bristol and your opening post, but my initial excitement at the result seems like it doesn’t tell the full picture

but points are points!

For what it's worth, first half (and particularly first 30 minutes) we were superb.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

This is a cracking thread, Dave, I love the fact that your frustration about the second half change in formation has caused such debate!

I didn't see the game so have no idea, but what would you have done differently?

By the sounds of it, it makes this remarkable win even more incredible!

I think people see WIN and think everything was fine.

At the start of the 2nd half, I saw little reason to change anything too drastic, but happy to play more cautiously, not over-commit players forward.  I didn’t see a need to encourage a team 2-0 down to go 235 against an increasingly pressured back 5 and play 45 mins in our half.

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Dave mate you don’t like him much do you,do you think a manager can be judged in a year at our place let alone a few months 

No, I do actually, he’s quite likeable.  But I sometimes see contradiction.  I’ve said before I think he’s genuine, and I like that.

I was desperate for him to get a win today, get the winless streak off his back and try to get something building.  If I didn’t like him, I’d want him to fail.

• Like 6

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think people see WIN and think everything was fine.

At the start of the 2nd half, I saw little reason to change anything too drastic, but happy to play more cautiously, not over-commit players forward.  I didn’t see a need to encourage a team 2-0 down to go 235 against an increasingly pressured back 5 and play 45 mins in our half.

No, I do actually, he’s quite likeable.  But I sometimes see contradiction.  I’ve said before I think he’s genuine, and I like that.

I was desperate for him to get a win today, get the winless streak off his back and try to get something building.  If I didn’t like him, I’d want him to fail.

Are you serious there,if I didn’t like him I would want him to fail Jesus behave yourself mate,if you’re feelings towards a manager overcomes the success of our club then you’re head needs a wobble 

I’m a bit confused by this thread. Having played at a decent level with Yate, Bath and then Almondsbury, I can tell you that it's hard to be 100% ready in 72 hours, especially when you take into account that you’ve played 120 minutes followed by a long journey home. People never take that into consideration. We’ve played Tuesday, Friday, Wednesday, Saturday!! That’s an insane amount of minutes in a short period, with hardly any time for recovery.

They must have been exhausted tonight, and we’ve got another game on Tuesday!!!! Manning did exactly the right thing today. Defending is not more strenuous than attacking, it simply isn't, especially when we were defending in the second half with a deep block. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Are you serious there,if I didn’t like him I would want him to fail Jesus behave yourself mate,if you’re feelings towards a manager overcomes the success of our club then you’re head needs a wobble 

Just explaining how I feel about him.  I want him to do well, 1) he’s Bristol City manager and 2) I find him quite likeable.  That make sense?

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yea for a head coach who says "if they've not got the ball they can't score" it's very strange that we let them have the ball. 

He's constantly going on about principles but then his principles are ever changing. 

Perhaps he's trying to be pragmatic? And you can't necessarily stick to your principles in a football match, it's going to be somewhat dependant on the opposition - unless you're Man City of course.

• Like 2

Yeah we were tired and ground out the result thankfully.

It was around 55 minutes in when the two changes happened and it was absolute one way traffic from there. 

Our first half performance was really good but we got away with it second half. A team with a more prolific front line or midfield come back and win that and the meltdown on here would have been massive.

They were picking up good positions in front of the defence and behind it where they couldn't in the first half because we harassed them so well and the tentative approach after the changes enabled them to get a proper foothold in the game.

We rushed to clear our lines every time we won the ball back and kept giving it back with no outlet up top or wide to give us some breathing room. 

First half was really good and more of what I wanna see of a Bristol City side, second half was the opposite, not good for the nerves. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I’m a bit confused by this thread. Having played at a decent level with Yate, Bath and then Almondsbury, I can tell you that it's hard to be 100% ready in 72 hours, especially when you take into account that you’ve played 120 minutes followed by a long journey home. People never take that into consideration. We’ve played Tuesday, Friday, Wednesday, Saturday!! That’s an insane amount of minutes in a short period, with hardly any time for recovery.

They must have been exhausted tonight, and we’ve got another game on Tuesday!!!! Manning did exactly the right thing today. Defending is not more strenuous than attacking, it simply isn't, especially when we were defending in the second half with a deep block. 

Nobody is disputing fatigue, it’s more highlighting a system change made at h-t appeared to make life bloody hard for ourselves.

We could’ve blocked with the same system we had in the first half.  It didn’t need to move people about to achieve it.  We could trued what we did for 10-15 and the reverted again, etc, etc.

The debate has grown arms and legs from my OP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just explaining how I feel about him.  I want him to do well, 1) he’s Bristol City manager and 2) I find him quite likeable.  That make sense?

Of course mate but to pick holes in a 2-0 away win seemed a bit off,we all think we can be managers but actually doing it and posting on a forum are not the same 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Yeah we were tired and ground out the result thankfully.

It was around 55 minutes in when the two changes happened and it was absolute one way traffic from there. 

Our first half performance was really good but we got away with it second half. A team with a more prolific front line or midfield come back and win that and the meltdown on here would have been massive.

They were picking up good positions in front of the defence and behind it where they couldn't in the first half because we harassed them so well and the tentative approach after the changes enabled them to get a proper foothold in the game.

We rushed to clear our lines every time we won the ball back and kept giving it back with no outlet up top or wide to give us some breathing room. 

First half was really good and more of what I wanna see of a Bristol City side, second half was the opposite, not good for the nerves. 

image.thumb.png.e227ef35c3028ddee4d0d4e60bcfc326.png

2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Can you ever get over Nige ? 

No..... now I have seen many, many managers come and go over the years, most glad to see the back of, but the whole process around Nige was appalling.

Didn't think it was necessary but having made the decision the way it was done was shit. No thanks for the work undertaken, reducing the wage bill, getting rid of players who should never have been signed etc.

Manipulating a situation to deliberately weaken the team by refusing to invest In the team after the sale of Alex Scott. 

Weakening the team so it is more likely to fail.....Great chairman eh?

No mention of Nige in the 2023 review.

This post is not against LM who I have previously said I felt sorry for because of the ridiculous reasons/excuses put out by JL and BT. They made his job an awful lot harder.

Nor against any of my fellow red's BUT..... IMHO, JL and BT are a pair of lying ******* shitbags who do not deserve support and will definitely not get mine next season.

COYR...

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Of course mate but to pick holes in a 2-0 away win seemed a bit off,we all think we can be managers but actually doing it and posting on a forum are not the same 

I made one thread about the second half…hardly picking holes is it?  And balanced against all the other positive posts?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nobody is disputing fatigue, it’s more highlighting a system change made at h-t appeared to make life bloody hard for ourselves.

We could’ve blocked with the same system we had in the first half.  It didn’t need to move people about to achieve it.  We could trued what we did for 10-15 and the reverted again, etc, etc.

The debate has grown arms and legs from my OP.

Sorry Dav, it wasn’t 100% aimed at you, more other people in the thread. 

I somewhat agree, but I think the 5 at the back was the right option at the time given how Boro were setup. All about opinions though and I’m not saying I’m right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I made one thread about the second half…hardly picking holes is it?  And balanced against all the other positive posts?

Did you or anyone start a thread about how good we were first half because I didn’t see it(it’s a city thing being negative because I do it as well tbf)

Edited by joe jordans teeth

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Did you or anyone start a thread about how good we were first half because I didn’t see it

No, I started threads on other things.  I’d posted how good in the MDT.  

And I’ve referenced it enough in this thread without needing to start one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Davefevs

Since the pandemic I didn’t go to away games for a while  , so I think today was the first time I’ve seen City win away since Fulham in Dec 19 - so I should have come out of the ground feeling ecstatic. Instead I just felt shredded and relieved. We played really well first half,  and I like the manning style which is improving our passing  . I think fatigue played a part,  but also felt Mehmeti playing opposite Luke Ayling was a strange choice . He had got behind us and put  in crosses  a few times in the first half , but without Mehmeti tracking back properly he had acres of space all second half and a goal coming from it seemed inevitable. The good news was it came so late in the game we were able to hold on Very pleased now that we won , but it was a looooong second half .

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, where did I say that? 🤷🏻‍♂️

You said it felt weird that we didn't come out and try to control possession. 

My question to you is do you think this team is capable of doing that in a second 45 away from home after god knows how many games in January and Feb? 

If you do, then what evidence have you seen to make you think that would've been a better approach, which would've invited less pressure? 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, City were excellent first half but as Bar BS3 posted City protected the 2-0 very successfully - the late goal they scored was a bit of a fluke.

Changing shape second half was integral in the three points.

Few or none of us have FA coaching badges but nevertheless fans often feel that they know better than the manager and this thread is a good example of just that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Few or none of us have FA coaching badges but nevertheless fans often feel that they know better than the manager and this thread is a good example of just that

Just to say a couple of things;

- I do, but it doesn’t mean I know better than anyone who doesn’t 

- By this logic we should just shut the forum down as none of us are as qualified as the management.

Its a high bar, but you may have posted your most nonsensical point ever.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Thameswey Red said:

Since the pandemic I didn’t go to away games for a while  , so I think today was the first time I’ve seen City win away since Fulham in Dec 19 - so I should have come out of the ground feeling ecstatic. Instead I just felt shredded and relieved. We played really well first half,  and I like the manning style which is improving our passing  . I think fatigue played a part,  but also felt Mehmeti playing opposite Luke Ayling was a strange choice . He had got behind us and put  in crosses  a few times in the first half , but without Mehmeti tracking back properly he had acres of space all second half and a goal coming from it seemed inevitable. The good news was it came so late in the game we were able to hold on Very pleased now that we won , but it was a looooong second half .

Agree with this, Mehmeti leaves us wide open with his defensive play and backtracking against an attacking wing back/full back like Ayling