IGNORED

Happy now

BS3_RED

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Or broadly - 5 against the top 6 kind of teams (Sunderland and up), 5 against the bottom 5, and 5 against our peers in mid-table.

So what's a fair prediction? W5 D5 L5 for 21 more points? 1.4ppg. Seems a fair estimate.

62. 10-12th place. Let's go.

That's a shout. I might keep an eye on how we track vs that. 

Edited by mozo

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Ideally I’d like LM to end the season in “credit” (all things being equal), ie more wins than losses. Taking over a 636 record it would be nice to finish better.

Something like a 17/13/16 (64) would be the kind of trend-up I expected at the start of the deacon. Top half likely with that???

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ideally I’d like LM to end the season in “credit” (all things being equal), ie more wins than losses. Taking over a 636 record it would be nice to finish better.

Something like a 17/13/16 (64) would be the kind of trend-up I expected at the start of the deacon. Top half likely with that???

That would probably put us 10-12th and is a pretty reasonable expectation from here.  I think so much changes with one very good striker signing. Another key summer ahead 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A lot depends on the style. I’m personally more comfortable with a lower points return than that if there are consistent signs we’re moving the right way. In effect (and I know things aren’t mathematically decided), Liam has a 15 game pre season to shape what he needs for next year. I’ll take less points with a consistent plan and improvement on the in game management. If we gain 64 points but look sketchy over the next 15 and continue to be inconsistent (particularly in game) I’m less happy. 

It’s a big 15 games. But I don’t think results are the determining factor. We all saw Holden win games and we knew it couldn’t last for example.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

A lot depends on the style. I’m personally more comfortable with a lower points return than that if there are consistent signs we’re moving the right way. In effect (and I know things aren’t mathematically decided), Liam has a 15 game pre season to shape what he needs for next year. I’ll take less points with a consistent plan and improvement on the in game management. If we gain 64 points but look sketchy over the next 15 and continue to be inconsistent (particularly in game) I’m less happy. 

It’s a big 15 games. But I don’t think results are the determining factor. We all saw Holden win games and we knew it couldn’t last for example.

I wrote this when appointed.  Saying similar!

IMG_9032.thumb.png.412c0826644b2743e4b84cf372e1f59e.png

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wrote this when appointed.  Saying similar!

IMG_9032.thumb.png.412c0826644b2743e4b84cf372e1f59e.png

Yep, bang on. In a way, he’s now got a bizarre advantage - nobody seriously expects us to be troubling the scorers. This is the extended “pre season” people say he needs - it’s normal schedule with limited pressure. And it happens early. I’m very much on the sceptical side thus far but these 15 games will shape my view as to what we do have in LM.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he can achieve it too.

If I had to guess, I'd say we will be 1-1-1 at the end of February. 

So we would then have 12 games to hopefully achieve at least 5 wins, but with, we think/hope, a stronger squad featuring key players.

I'm guessing: 1 win in Feb, 2 wins in March, 3 wins in April, and Stoke in May is a toss up.

Edited by mozo
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, mozo said:

If I had to guess, I'd say we will be 1-1-1 at the end of February. 

So we would then have 12 games to hopefully achieve at least 5 wins, but with, we think/hope, a stronger squad featuring key players.

I'm guessing: 1 win in Feb, 2 wins in March, 3 wins in April, and Stoke in May is a toss up.

Sod’s Law says we achieve it with results completely the opposite to what we think…this is Bristol City! 😉

On 10/02/2024 at 20:23, BS3_RED said:

I've never seen so many people moan as I have since manning took charge.  Some of the flack he has took is a joke. New to this standard and club it would always take a bit of time.  We have put good performances in the cup and if we can replicate that in the league we will do well.  Watford away was outstanding and today was also pretty spot on from the small part i watched ( I was working today)

I really think that people are giving him the flack for decisions that are beyond his control (NP sacking).

We are safe this season, so just sit back, shut the fck up and lets see what happens in August.

EDIT

Oh and if you want to slag me off for daring to see things different, go ahead. I could not give a shit. 

If watching City really pisses you off that much, you can always go and watch the sags. You wont be missed. 

Blige. Someone is a tired little Pixie. Bless.

12 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Ipswich are doing a proper Arsenal at the moment, falling away in the new year in epic style. 

One of my best mates is an Ipswich ST holder. Obviously loves McKenna but the one weak spot he says he has is that he can sometimes be slow to change things when it’s not going to plan. He’s a huge fan of Manning as well and sees him as the next candidate if McKenna goes elsewhere as they’re mates with a similar philosophy - and it seems a similar weak spot

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I think 1.4 5/5/5 is par I'd say. Turn one or two of those results into one of the others and you start to look at either a birdie or a bogey.

All season we've swayed between 1.1 and 1.7 ppg over a rolling ten game stretch.

So if that holds then anything between 17 and 26 points is "normal" for this season.

We are capable of both triumph and disaster, and must treat those imposters both the same.

Edit. And thanks for not jumping on my er "deliberate" mistake of saying that 5 wins and 5 draws is 21 points. It's obviously 20.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

I've never seen so many people moan as I have since manning took charge.  Some of the flack he has took is a joke. New to this standard and club it would always take a bit of time.  We have put good performances in the cup and if we can replicate that in the league we will do well.  Watford away was outstanding and today was also pretty spot on from the small part i watched ( I was working today)

I really think that people are giving him the flack for decisions that are beyond his control (NP sacking).

We are safe this season, so just sit back, shut the fck up and lets see what happens in August.

EDIT

Oh and if you want to slag me off for daring to see things different, go ahead. I could not give a shit. 

If watching City really pisses you off that much, you can always go and watch the sags. You wont be missed. 

You sound a bit angry.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Sod’s Law says we achieve it with results completely the opposite to what we think…this is Bristol City! 😉

Ohhhh yes!

31 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think 1.4 5/5/5 is par I'd say. Turn one or two of those results into one of the others and you start to look at either a birdie or a bogey.

All season we've swayed between 1.1 and 1.7 ppg over a rolling ten game stretch.

So if that holds then anything between 17 and 26 points is "normal" for this season.

We are capable of both triumph and disaster, and must treat those imposters both the same.

Edit. And thanks for not jumping on my er "deliberate" mistake of saying that 5 wins and 5 draws is 21 points. It's obviously 20.

Yeah, nicely put 👏

35 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

image.thumb.png.f190dbf685eaef0f45afc150105401ce.png

• Like 1

I'm happy to give Manning time but to not critique him when he makes mistakes would be equally unfair the other way. 

My issue with him is missing some basics. He's failed to identify things that were identified by NP which in my opinion is something that someone at the club should be passing onto him, so whilst not his fault is causing him to make some mistakes that were already made in the past which creates frustration. 

Another thing that concerns me is how he reads the game sometimes, like in our last game how he changed the shape up at half time when we were looking so comfortable. After that change up we looked far less comfortable and had the linesman not saved us we would have been discussing dropping 2 points instead of taking 3.

I can see a lot of positives that Manning has brought and I'm glad the players still seem to have that hunger/bite at times but we're still guilty of being very one dimensional. We seem to really struggle when a team identifies our weaknesses and uses them against us, the team doesn't adapt and Making doesn't make that change. It's highly frustrating to see us change our shape when it's working for us but when we're struggling we seem to stick to our guns and hope it pans out. 

As I said, I do see positives, I'm seeing us playing the kinds of splitting passes that we didn't make under NP but we're also making many of the same mistakes that NP identified and adjusted to fix. I'm sure in time LM will see this too and adjust but we still lack the ability to do it quickly and effectively in games, an ability that all of the top teams do so well. 

I've not written LM off at all, I just hope he is experimenting this season, hence making these unnecessary changes when controlling a game. I hope it's a case of testing what works and what doesn't whilst we're midtable and not looking likely to end anywhere else with the goal to implement the changes for next season. 

Either way, next season we may look like a very different team what with the likelihood of losing several players and the already new signed players joining up with the squad. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think common sense always suggested that Ipswich wouldn't be able to keep pace with Leicester and Leeds, and that Southampton would come good in the end. 46 games lends itself to sorting the wheat from the chaff and we're seeing teams regress to their natural position.

Interesting though that it looks like Ipswich have the easiest run in of the top 8 when measured by how many points the teams they still have to play have accrued so far. Southampton look like they've got a very hard time of it. 

I think the smart money would be on Leicester and Leeds for autos at this point. Although it's absolutely possible that Leeds v Southampton on the final day is a straight shoot out for 2nd place.

Screenshot_20240211-191655.png

We've played Leicester, Leeds, West Brom twice. All of our next 9 are against bottom half teams (as it stands). Southampton still have to go away from home to all of the top 5. 

A lot is being made of 1 win in 9, but we've only lost twice in what has been a fairly tough run of games in which we've played Leicester twice, Leeds and West Brom. The QPR draw at home over Christmas (when we had half our starting line up out) could come back to haunt us. I think we will hit 90 points but that likely won't be enough in what is looking like being a freak season in terms of points needed for the top 2.

29 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

We've played Leicester, Leeds, West Brom twice. All of our next 9 are against bottom half teams (as it stands). Southampton still have to go away from home to all of the top 5. 

A lot is being made of 1 win in 9, but we've only lost twice in what has been a fairly tough run of games in which we've played Leicester twice, Leeds and West Brom. The QPR draw at home over Christmas (when we had half our starting line up out) could come back to haunt us. I think we will hit 90 points but that likely won't be enough in what is looking like being a freak season in terms of points needed for the top 2.

I assume this is Ipswich you're talking about?

Yes you've got the easiest final 15 games of the top teams. Yeh you may well hit 90...although personally I'd predict you to fall a little short of that. And yeh, 90 probably won't be enough for second place this season.

At least you're out of the cup and can focus on the league.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I've not written LM off at all, I just hope he is experimenting this season, hence making these unnecessary changes when controlling a game. 

I'm still not wholly convinced that this is the case but open minded.

1 hour ago, Dan11 said:

A lot is being made of 1 win in 9, but we've only lost twice in what has been a fairly tough run of games in which we've played Leicester twice, Leeds and West Brom. The QPR draw at home over Christmas (when we had half our starting line up out) could come back to haunt us. 

Draws against Watford and Coventry too, aren't bad results.

It was Birmingham and Millwall that frustrated me. Leeds I can forget.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I'm still not wholly convinced that this is the case but open minded.

I mean I see many, but like I said, I feel that he may be experimenting during some games to see what works and what doesn't that can't be replicated in training, time will tell.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Draws against Watford and Coventry too, aren't bad results.

It was Birmingham and Millwall that frustrated me. Leeds I can forget.

I agree with this, the results have been frustrating but considering the level of opposition and how early it is into LM's management of the club it's hardly a surprise that we've struggled to get points but many displays have been good. Birmingham and Millwall are also the performances that bothered me most. One thing I think we're going to see under Manning is closer games, Manning clearly likes to try and outplay the opposition and in this league the levels are very close with only a few teams having a clearly stronger squad which means in order to get results we're going to have to outplay teams who are just as capable of playing good football. I think this is why we've had the bad run of results, because it's still new, the players are still learning the style and because the opposition have been very capable of beating teams who play this way, even when they've had more time implementing it. The positive to look at is that we've been in these games, despite it being so early into a full transition of playstyle meaning we're obviously capable of playing, the team just need experience that will come with time.

EDIT

This aged like a fine wine. 🍷 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How about now, @BS3_RED 

:whistle2:

I stand by it. Just because we have bad results dont mean I have changed my view. I will leave that to half the idiots on here who change their view result by result. 

Edited by BS3_RED