IGNORED

Match Report: Exhausted City's First Half Boro Assault

Olé

11 hours ago, Olé said:

After less than 65 hours which included over 450 miles of travel since outplaying Premier League Nottingham Forest for over 2 hours, the last thing Bristol City fans expected was to dominate and beat Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium. A match setup for Liam Manning's tired side to collapse instead was as convincing as his group have been - both with and without the ball. By far the better side first half as they raced into a quick 2-0 lead and brilliantly organised in defending a one sided second half fightback from Boro.

City's enterprise in passing sharply through the lines was too much for the home side to deal with - in a breathtaking first half where the lead could have been even bigger. Harry Cornick and Sam Bell both brilliantly sprung clear one on one only to be denied by Boro keeper Tom Glover either side of the visitors actual double jab. First Rob Dickie fed Jason Knight who took his time to turn the keeper to put City ahead just past the quarter hour, then Matty James strode upfield a minute later before slamming home a low second.

IMG_7963.thumb.jpeg.8a5184682b6c49243b4f67deecc8ff08.jpeg

Manning went into the game with questions about league form and the hangover of late exit from the FA Cup after City's spirited 120 minutes at Forest, a fourth undefeated cup tie in a month against top flight opponents. He made six changes - resting Joe Williams, Tommy Conway and others, but it was those he restored who seized control, James and defender George Tanner dominant in a one sided opening. The game was all in Boro's half when a half cleared corner saw Tanner loop under the bar and into Glovers hands.

The only response from the hosts saw one time City man Luke Ayling - up against his former side in their urine on grass tribute kit - cross into Hayden Hackney who wriggled this way and that to find space only for Zak Vyner to block his shot. It was a rare attack as for the next 15 minutes the well organised visitors took Boro apart. James brilliant ball  put Cornick clear from the left to race in one on one and see his shot pushed away with players queueing up to tap in the rebound, Sam Bell eventually collecting but blocked.

Then the quick fire City assault. Rob Dickie marauded forward and picked out Knight in the box who showed composure to not take the quick shot and instead shield the ball to turn the helpless keeper six yards out and drill home. A minute later it was two, James roared out of midfield and Boro defenders, already mindful of the visitors quick passing combinations, all picked someone to close the passing lanes to, so instead James kept running before lashing a low shot past the keeper to send the away corner into chaos.

There was more to come - Tanner's corner was almost headed home, then Nahki Wells got in behind from an amazing combination and Cornick dummy, desperately cleared for the latter to hurl in a long throw which Dickie hooked just wide. At the midway point of the half Boro finally found room again via Ayling out right but City were flying into every block and an eventual low cross was turned wide by Hackney. Ten minutes later Tanner stole back possession brilliantly and won a quick free kick from which Knight forced a save. 

IMG_7962.thumb.jpeg.3c31a2ca445c59e7c2fda23a031655f1.jpeg

It could and so nearly should have been 3-0 minutes later. Boro's attack broke down and City cleared the lines up to Cornick, turning brilliantly in midfield before holding the ball up to tease midfielders before picking out Bell's run with a lifted through ball that sent the winger miles clear one on one down the middle, keeper Glover out to the edge of his box to desperately block. Before half time Max O'Leary - so far untroubled - parried away Finn Azaz' effort, whilst Bell ran clear on the right but under pressure fired well wide.

At half time Anis Mehmeti replaced Cornick - either injury or giving Boro something else to think about at the restart after their rapid comeback at AG in the reverse fixture. This  looked on the cards almost immediately as the hosts got in down the right channel and squared but O'Leary claimed. City didn't sit back. A slide rule lright touchline pass put Tanner into space to send a wicked cross in which begged for a finish, Bell close before having a second attempt blocked. Next Cam Pring stung Glovers hands from Wells cross.

From then on it was all Boro - yet City dealt with everything thrown at them. O'Leary saved from Sam Greenwood, while Dickie's brilliant clearance under pressure fed Anis Mehmeti down the left who put Wells away to win a throw in. The hosts were trying to pick their way through Manning's side and Greenwood sneaked behind the lines to go clear ten minutes into the second half but O'Leary made himself big and smothered the shot. Manning sent on Conway and Ross McCrorie for Wells and Bell to tighten up.

IMG_7985.thumb.jpeg.1259d7652ec8b9024ef41f963b7a5885.jpeg

Approaching the hour mark Middlesbrough did everything but score. A well worked flick on and lay off saw Marcus Forss disguised low shot through defenders legs curl wide of the post. Minutes later they drilled a cross into City's box that was inprobably cleared under incredible pressure. It was one way traffic as Boro won corners and free kicks but City tidied up everything thrown at them. Joe Williams, exhausted man of the match on Wednesday night, replaced James as Manning looked to control the final twenty.

In truth City finished the match dealing with attack after attack - although at times it felt like they might never clear their lines. Ayling again was the outlet with 20 left looking for a crossing lane, the visitors twice clearing before Rav Van Den Berg had a split second to fire home and O'Leary showed incredible reactions to parry at point blank. Our final change saw Hayden Roberts replace Pring as we clung on grimly, Sam Silvera bundling one back in injury time and Knight, machine to the end with a 94th minute goal saving tackle.

O'Leary 8

Tanner 9

Pring 7

Vyner 8

Dickie 8

James 9

Gardner-Hickman 8

Knight 9

Bell 7

Cornick 7

Wells 6

Mehmeti 6

Conway 6

McCrorie 6

Williams 6

Roberts 7

I said on the MDT that I wish I'd been there. You can't beat an away day like that. The nerves at the end almost add to the experience. Travelling fans sounded good on RTV 👏

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

How can you get “very nearly” a howler? Surely it’s either a howler or it isn’t? 

In that circumstances meant he got away with it but had Boro scored, the majority of the fault would have been on him 

First instance was at 0-0 where under almost no pressure at all he passed the ball to a Boro player with no City player near him (the Boro player) and only about 25 yards from goal.

The other was also the first half where he had a rush of blood to the head and came bolting out of the area, almost causing a mix up, but we managed to retain possession (just about).

I believe that was also at 0-0, a minute or 2 before we scored.

However, I also know you're so one eyed with Max that he could have the ball in his hands under no pressure, turn around and drop kick the ball into the goal in the most obvious example of a deliberate own goal you'd ever see and you would be finding a way to suggest he wasn't to blame whatsoever.

Edited by transfer reader
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

In that circumstances meant he got away with it but had Boro scored, the majority of the fault would have been on him 

First instance was at 0-0 where under almost no pressure at all he passed the ball to a Boro player with no City player near him (the Boro player) and only about 25 yards from goal.

The other was also the first half where he had a rush of blood to the head and came bolting out of the area, almost causing a mix up, but we managed to retain possession (just about).

However, I also know you're so one eyed with Max that he could have the ball in his hands under no pressure, turn around and drop kick the ball into the goal in the most obvious example of a deliberate own goal you'd ever see and you would be finding a way to suggest he wasn't to blame whatsoever.

Max is an extremely competent goalkeeper behind/in one of the tightest defenses in the league. 

Just sayin! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Why do you say that you know I'm "one eyed" with Max?

My comment above wasn't about Max at all; it was about the English language!

And, aside from the very rare comment about his performance in a particular game, I don't have a very strong view on him either way and I'm not aware that I've said very much about him at all.

24 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

However, I also know you're so one eyed with Max

Said with no irony whatsoever. 

How many negative posts have you made about Max in the last few match threads?

Any person who has the audacity to say he's a fairly decent Championship keeper gets shot down by you every single time to be part of a mythical "Max O Leary fan club". Yet say nothing about the same group of people constantly having a dig at anything he does get wrong. He's made some mistakes, he's made some great saves, he's probably won us more points than he has cost us imo, but the chance to get a dig in at any slight error is just tiresome.

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And, aside from the very rare comment about his performance in a particular game, I don't have a very strong view on him either way and I'm not aware that I've said very much about him at all.

The poster thinks anyone who has one single good thing to say about Max is "one eyed", but cannot see he is exactly what he is describing you as, but just the other way around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

What amazes me about threads like this is people actually take notice and remember what some other pleb on a footy forum has said. 

Haha, thanks for reminding me... I want dig someone's post out on the match day thread... 😁

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Apologies, I mixed you up with another poster there then.

Usually the ones responding to anyone who dares to be anything other than effusive in praise for Max are his lead cheerleaders and heads of the Max O'Leary fan club.

Edit- I did indeed have you mixed up with another poster. Apologies 

Edited by transfer reader
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TheReds said:

The poster thinks anyone who has one single good thing to say about Max is "one eyed", but cannot see he is exactly what he is describing you as, but just the other way around. 

Not at all 

I generally don't give that much in terms of over the top praise to goalkeepers as saving shots is what they're there for, so unless is something particularly good it is what is expected from them.

I also generally don't go over the top in criticisms. Have a look for yourself and find me being particularly critical. You won't find it.

I don't criticise the balls into touch from goal kicks the way some others do because I recognise it as a risk of the instruction to play the ball to those in the wide areas.

What I have done is pushed back against the bizarre fan club of his who act as though we have Manuel Neuer in goal for us.

44 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Back up your bullshit or **** off and stop lying.

Just go and read your own posts on the match day threads, any chance of a dig at Max and you seem to be there.

My initial post basically shows exactly how it is, I've mentioned how you say its a "Max fan club" and your own reply to @italian dave is calling anyone who refuses to give him anything but praise are his "lead cheerleaders". Plenty of your posts are along the same lines. If he makes a save and gets a bit of praise you are on it with "he should save that", "it's straight at him", "awful strike" etc etc, and then start calling people cheerleaders and his fan club. Reality imo, is in general people are saying he has done something decent, as he gets plenty of flak on here (something which you seem to have missed). He's probably a standard Championship keeper, not the best and not the worst.

21 hours ago, TheReds said:

Just go and read your own posts on the match day threads, any chance of a dig at Max and you seem to be there.

My initial post basically shows exactly how it is, I've mentioned how you say its a "Max fan club" and your own reply to @italian dave is calling anyone who refuses to give him anything but praise are his "lead cheerleaders". Plenty of your posts are along the same lines. If he makes a save and gets a bit of praise you are on it with "he should save that", "it's straight at him", "awful strike" etc etc, and then start calling people cheerleaders and his fan club. Reality imo, is in general people are saying he has done something decent, as he gets plenty of flak on here (something which you seem to have missed). He's probably a standard Championship keeper, not the best and not the worst.

No, when a shot is straight at him and people are giving ridiculous praise for it, I will state it's straight at him to stop them presenting a false narrative as factual.

In fact your final sentence is precisely what I've been saying about Max, much to the annoyance of his pathetic fan club 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW here’s Max’s saves and aerial takes yesterday.doesn’t include shots off target, or shots blocked by defenders obviously.

Not this again Dave………:disapointed2se:……… Let it go.

City won the game having been 2 up at half time. Second half the change of shape enabled City to defend that lead successfully.

I’d understand the critique City had lost the match having changed shape but the change obviously paid off.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3