IGNORED

Why the half time switch in formation?

And Its Smith

26 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Haha that old chestnut.. you must work for BS. You really do have a repeat switch.

Sorry I forgot your working hard constantly on here to hold the club to account aren't you? You don't attend fan meetings, you don't vote with your feet but your posting on here. How's that going?

Can you be more specific on what information you are lacking currently from the club asides from half time tactics?

You're the one posting that fans must be happy about communication because of attendances. 

As the season looks like it's just going to fade out I will be voting with my feet. 

OK let's start with BT and JL coming out and explaining why we are having another rebuild and their thoughts on their stated targets not being met. 

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're the one posting that fans must be happy about communication because of attendances. 

As the season looks like it's just going to fade out I will be voting with my feet. 

OK let's start with BT and JL coming out and explaining why we are having another rebuild and their thoughts on their stated targets not being met. 

We'll see if you do. I'm not convinced.

Also why would they have they have a recap of a season that is mid way through?

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

We'll see if you do. I'm not convinced.

Also why would they have they have a recap of a season that is mid way through?

Probably not going to QPR game. 

Also I previously posted on here saying it's likely the Cardiff and Swansea games will be the last I go to this season to see if I can get the buzz back. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Which would have certainly got a better reception if you hadn't opened the post with the line.....

"A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance."

It put a lot of people's backs up including mine. @And Its Smith's post is more measured, probably because he followed my personal rule of never posting straight after a game.

But no notice taken of how I ended the post?

IMG_9779.thumb.jpeg.6586f85c21fcdb798573532f5c08ae7c.jpeg

Just now, Davefevs said:

Hardly the post of someone who knew their reaction wasn’t wholly rationale, and the recognition that time to focus on the result and the good things yesterday, hence the other threads started. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

People's views often tend to be results based - either we won therefore we played well or we lost therefore we played badly.

The reality is often somewhere in the middle. I don't see any problem in pointing out things we did well despite losing or pointing out things we didn't do so well despite winning.

It's certainly better than the binary happy clappers vs moaners nonsense.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Can someone tell me, as we're not allowed to analyse Mannings selections or in game management right now, when can we analyse those things like normal football fans do? 

It seems we're only allowed to analyse the positive things. 

I think it depends on which group ⬇️⬇️⬇️ is online! 😉

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It's certainly better than the binary happy clappers vs moaners nonsense.

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think Liam needs to work on his communication. He answers questions in a way where the questions don't really get answered and then thats why we're then all left trying to figure out why he made certain decisions. 

Ah diddums. We won a game so let’s have a pop at the way the manager speaks! 

But that's what I mean, because of the  lack of clarity he gives it leaves people such as yourself to try and fill in the gaps and speculate. 

Many other managers speak about why they made changes etc. Clubs have army's of analysts so he wouldn't be given much away to the opposition. 

And your hero Nige never said unusual, baffling or purposely vague in his interviews did he 🤣 You know, the bloke who has been well known throughout football in the last 15 years as being rather difficult with his post match pressers. Jeez! 

And that's where Manning needs to improve his communication skills. 

He's the Head coach of a fanbase of around 40-50k he needs to find the balance of informing the fanbase whilst also keeping the trade secrets. 

I don't want to know all his in depth tactical plans, but I do want to know the basics as to why our best performing player was taken off. 

If he wants to keep things close to his chest then cool but then that doesnt improve relations between the club and its support which has been a huge issue this season. 

And you then go on to have arguments with people on this thread about attendances, having been the one who started with the “50,000 fanbase needing answers” 🤣🤣

Thats some rather inflationary figures old bird (gas logic territory). I highly doubt we have 50,000 fans waiting on Mannings every last word. We probably only have a couple of thousand who actually even bother listening to player or manager interviews and fewer yet who even care what’s said. 

Anyway - I don’t think you’ll respond to this as you messaged me last week telling me to not reply to you as you have blocked me. 🤣🤣
Presumably because you don’t like people who disagree with you (because we’ve certainly not had any ‘personal issues’ to warrant blocking). Seems rather cocooned, don’t ya think! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why on earth are people still banging on about this?  We won.  If Manning had done something different at half time we might not have done, who knows?  We’ve been on a poor run, but three points at Middlesbrough is a real tonic.  COYR.

It's normal for football fans to discuss tactics, team selections etc. Despite what some on here think, we don't live in NK!

Great win. First half we were absolutely fantastic.

But the second half was a polar opposite. We got the job done, just. With a huge slice of luck (about time we had some) 

It's great that we brought home the 3 points but my concern is that if Manning makes a habit of doing this, then we are not always going to have that luck on our side.

The changes just about worked yesterday but on another day with those changes we draw or lose that. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Facepalm 3

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Manning getting a fair bit of criticism for this yesterday and it’s completely fair to say that the two halves from us looked completely different to each other.  Changing shape when 2-0 up at half time isn’t something you see very often.  But I think, whether one agrees with a decision or not, it is always worth considering why it was made.  Comments of ‘baffling decision’ suggest a lack of thought as to why the decision might have been taken.  You can disagree with a decision but still understand the thought process behind it.  Something that doesn’t happen too often on OTIB, or most football forums I would guess.  

When you consider the following it looks much more of an understandable decision:

1.  5 at the back has conceded just 2 goals in 400 minutes of football against Premier League opposition 

2. The second half against Preston would be fresh in his mind

3. No league win since Boxing Day

4. A bit of a trend (although diminishing) of conceding early second half goals

Maybe there are other reasons as well but if you put yourself in Manning’s shoes, I think it is more understandable than it appeared at 4pm yesterday.  I think he was vindicated as well.  Max had a few saves to make but we weren’t massively tested.  Their goal was lucky as well which probably put a further negative spin on the win for some.  

We conceded more chances in the 2nd half after the change. Stick to the Forest formation of first half and Boro first half and we will hopefully get a few wins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

But no notice taken of how I ended the post?

IMG_9779.thumb.jpeg.6586f85c21fcdb798573532f5c08ae7c.jpeg

I'll just say there's a reason why novel writers spend so much time considering the opening line of their books. :)

This is Woody Allen's take on it, one of the best movie openings of all time.

A favourite story of mine is of why Michael Caine starred in Jaws IV - The Revenge.

Apparently he opened the script and the first line said. 

"Scene 1 - The Bahamas"

He closed the script and said "I'll Do It" :)

Later he was asked if he had ever seen the movie, he said "No but I have the seen the house it paid for, and it's lovely" 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I'll just say there's a reason why novel writers spend so much time considering the opening line of their books. :)

This is Woody Allen's take on it, one of the best movie openings of all time.

A favourite story of mine is of why Michael Caine starred in Jaws IV - The Revenge.

Apparently he opened the script and the first line said. 

"Scene 1 - The Bahamas"

He closed the script and said "I'll Do It" :)

Later he was asked if he had ever seen the movie, he said "No but I have the seen the house it paid for, and it's lovely" 🤣

James Piercy’s job is safe!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's normal for football fans to discuss tactics, team selections etc. Despite what some on here think, we don't live in NK!

Great win. First half we were absolutely fantastic.

But the second half was a polar opposite. We got the job done, just. With a huge slice of luck (about time we had some) 

It's great that we brought home the 3 points but my concern is that if Manning makes a habit of doing this, then we are not always going to have that luck on our side.

The changes just about worked yesterday but on another day with those changes we draw or lose that. 

Spot on really, Cornick could have been throwing up at half time for all we know and that’s been disguised in the post match comments to not reveal any possible selections for Tuesday

However, Mehmeti just doesn’t have the defensive abilities so bringing him on when we should have expected a more attacking Boro might not have been the best in hindsight

He clearly works hard but his positioning when teams attack his side needs massive improvement, he’s a few seconds off knowing where to be and often gets caught out as a result so him coming on allowed them to build confidence on the right hand side which every attack seemed to then come from. 

7 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Spot on really, Cornick could have been throwing up at half time for all we know and that’s been disguised in the post match comments to not reveal any possible selections for Tuesday

However, Mehmeti just doesn’t have the defensive abilities so bringing him on when we should have expected a more attacking Boro might not have been the best in hindsight

He clearly works hard but his positioning when teams attack his side needs massive improvement, he’s a few seconds off knowing where to be and often gets caught out as a result so him coming on allowed them to build confidence on the right hand side which every attack seemed to then come from. 

I thought that Mehmeti was so poor that he may have been under consideration for being taken off. He offered nothing defensively. 

19 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why on earth are people still banging on about this?  We won.  If Manning had done something different at half time we might not have done, who knows?  We’ve been on a poor run, but three points at Middlesbrough is a real tonic.  COYR.

Exactly could have been 4-0 up half time , so what would an off side goal have mattered then , come on fair play to lads for a front foot start to game TOP PRESSING . And why keep mentioning Nigel Pearson he’s gone long live the king 

To be honest I’m quite pleased Manning changed a formation mid match as I was a bit concerned he has a formation and won’t move away from it whatever the game situation or a players strength.

For example playing with wing backs wasn’t working against Leeds. They killed us with the space down the wings and in the middle. When Bell came on I thought great he is going to change it and go to a back four. No played Bell as a wingback?

Against Millwall & Leeds could we have gone a bit more direct last 10 minutes tried something different like sticking Dickie up top?

I think he wanted to preserve the lead against Boro and remembered what happened at Preston and when Boro played us at Ashton Gate when we conceded early in the 2nd half and wanted us to be more solid.

I think this is a positive step.