IGNORED

Southampton at home match thread

Just now, George Rs said:

Halves like that are what makes me think we are right on the brink of becoming a very good side. 

Positioning, passing and decison making letting us down in the final third. 

But very positive overall, brilliant discipline and structure. Pressed well when needed and got bodies forward when on the break. Thought those two blocks by Vyner when Armstrong was slipped through were stellar as well. COYR 

Never felt this confident in our defence players they really are special. It will click up front, we can see what they're trying, it will happen.

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

These stats tell a story.

Successful Crosses by City 2/10

Crosses blocked by the Saints defence 0

Not great, but Southampton do look so solid defensively. It's on the ball that they've looked poor.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

They were commenting on how Southampton's style can quieten down grounds when they are away, and you can see that, the way they just stand with the ball in defence and try to draw teams onto them

We mustn’t get tempted to go running out and lose our shape , compelling watch very technical game 

First half thoughts.

Thought we played with composure, intensity, professionalism, and desire. throughout that 45 minutes.

Certainly look like a confident team knowing what they are trying to do.

The frustrating ‘nearly’ bit is when we get around or into their box it’s nearly, nearly, nearly, every  time as the final ball has been lame either to a defender or their keeper, that is the huge area for improvement. Memheti, Bell, Roberts, have all been guilty of delivering a very weak final ball, following very enterprising and I catching approach play. As noted above the stats illustrate this.

The top teams have that ruthless, clinical edge in the final third that we are blatantly lacking at the moment.

Need to be mindful that Tanner has been beaten a couple of times too easily, that has looked their main threat.

Anybody got a decent stream please mine cuts out every three minutes.

• Like 1
Just now, keflav said:

Pretty decent first half only lacking in the final ball in the box, but it's been hardworking and disciplined... 

Mind you Sky might as well name themselves sky Southampton football channel as the biased is unbelievable and there on that much..

I wish they would at least try to hide their bias, that commentator crapping himself apologising he jinxed them was cringe af

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Nobody has said you aren’t. But your opinion is also entitled to be commented on 

It is ok ! Why everytime when I am saying something a bit negative about a player it turns into something like this.  I even like that player, I also see him as a player which plays a bit more in the middle not inside the box. Good passes, he works hard, I like him. But I also didn't like that he tried to dribble when he could pass, and that lost ball ( he made the interception I know ) when he could do a pass inside the box.  We play one of the best teams in the league, if we don't take our chances, we will pay at some point.

It was a good half, but let's be honest, they made like 2 critical mistakes and we were too slow to take advantage, is not a criticism is the fact, is like in the game with Forrest when Cornick lost his focus and we got out in the end. ( you will not remember that game, we played good probably better than Forrest but that doesn't matter anymore, because we lost ).

But in a positive way, the defence looks very nice today and overall the teams stays very good on the pitch. I have faith that we can even win this game. GO GO ! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought we more than matched them. I'm expecting them to go up a gear or two 2nd half, but they are no Leeds. They aren't on an unbeaten run for nothing though.

They do alot of falling over just outside the penalty area, perhaps some refs buy their tactics.