IGNORED

Southampton at home match thread

It’s on Sky, 8 pm kick off.

Will be 23,000 + in attendance with 3,414 in the sold out Saints away end.

At the end of November we lost 1-0 at their place, we were beaten by a spectacular strike, early in the second half, from Walker-Peters. It was their first clean sheet at home of the season. At that stage of the season they were 4th and we were 12th. Highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/highlights/extended-highlights-southampton-1-0-bristol-city-2/

City fan Ted Hill enjoyed himself… https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12814183/Bristol-City-fan-TRICKS-Southampton-supporters-thinking-hes-one-players-takes-selfies-signs-shirt.html

LM post match: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/liam-manning-reaction/

They were relegated last season after eleven seasons in the top flight finishing bottom with 25 points.

Alex Scott, was at one time a member of the Southampton Academy, how they must be kicking themselves now.

Well known fans include:

• Craig David - Singer.
  • Chris Packham - Wildlife TV presenter.
  • David Frost - Legendary TV host, journalist and writer.
  • Rishi Sunak - Prime Minister.

Russell Martin was appointed manager in June, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65980277

They went through three managers last season with Ralph Hasenhuttl's replacement Nathan Jones only lasting 95 days before he was sacked in February. Spaniard Selles came in later that month, but could not haul the Saints out of the drop zone.

Martin bought in four of his staff from Swansea City, including Matt Gill as his assistant manager, who was in the same role at Swansea. Gill had a long playing career that spanned eight clubs and 353 League games plus another 104 in the National League before going into coaching in 2014 as assistant manager at Tranmere, followed by positions at Norwich, Ipswich and MK Dons where he linked up with Russell Martin again after both had been team mates at Norwich in 2009-11.

They appointed Phil Parsons as their chief executive, following the departure of Martin Semmens after their relegation from the Premier League.

Parsons joined the club from technology company Dyson, where he spent 15 years in a number of senior leadership roles.

In July they signed Republic of Ireland left-back Ryan Manning after his exit from Swansea City. He was the Saints' first signing since their relegation from the Premier League and linked up again with boss Russell Martin, who was his manager at Swansea. The 27-year-old, who was out of contract at Swansea, signed a four-year deal at St Mary's.

They signed Manchester City midfielder Shea Charles for an undisclosed fee. The 19-year-old, who has won eight caps for Northern Ireland, signed a four-year deal at St Mary's.

Their Croatian defender Duje Caleta-Car joined French Ligue 1 side Olympique Lyonnais on loan and Newcastle signed right-back Tino Livramento in early August, in a deal worth up to £40m. The deal is worth an initial £32m and the 20-year-old Englishman signed a five-year contract.

West Ham signed England international James Ward-Prowse from them in mid-August. The 28-year-old joined for an undisclosed fee (thought to be in the region of £30m) on a contract until June 2027.

They sold midfielder Romeo Lavia to Chelsea for an initial £53m.

They signed West Ham United midfielder Flynn Downes on loan until the end of the season. The 24-year-old has made 35 appearances for the Hammers since joining from Swansea City last summer. Downes also played under Saints boss Russell Martin during his year-long spell with the Swans, scoring one goal in 39 outings for the Welsh club.

They secured the loan signing of Everton defender Mason Holgate. On deadline day they signed Ross Stewart on a three-year deal from Sunderland. The Scotland striker, 27, became Saints' eighth signing of the window and followed the earlier deadline day signing of England Under-21 centre-back Taylor Harwood-Bellis. He joined on a season-long loan deal from Manchester City.

In January they signed AFC Bournemouth midfielder Joe Rothwell on loan until the end of the season. The 29-year-old, who joined the Cherries from Blackburn Rovers in 2022, had played 11 times in the Premier League this season. They also signed winger David Brooks from Bournemouth on loan until the end of the season.

Their MDT: https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60699-bristol-city-a-tuesday-8pm/

Russell Martin has declared that they will be without injured key midfielder Flynn Downes while Scotland international forward Che Adams is a doubt.

LM presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/liam-mannings-southampton-press-conference/ and George Tanner’s thoughts: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/tanner-previews-saints-clash/

We have only played Southampton 10 times in the last 44 years.

There haven't been too many players that have represented both sides, those who have include Joe Jordan, Russell Osman and Stern John.

Even with the benefit of parachute payments lots of people, including Saints fans, thought they would struggle to turn a sinking ship around. Once they recovered from losing James Ward-Prowse, their loanees started to settle and everyone got to grips with Russell Martin's possession-based approach, they have not looked back. They have a lot of quality at this level and no shortage of flair in the final third. The additions of Brooks and the return of Sulemana have made them even stronger in that area.

However, an injury on Saturday to the extremely important Flynn Downes could throw a spanner in the works. Seeing as we beat them twice during their last promotion season, the only side to do so, and we lost to a worldie at their place, we might just put an end to their 25 game unbeaten run.

Head-to-head record

Won: 16

Lost: 26

Drawn: 7

They have been in great recent form setting a new club record having managed a 25 game unbeaten run in all competitions, this Guardian piece relates: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/09/southampton-record-unbeaten-run-russell-martin

Currently they are second on 64 points.

Officials

Referee: Matthew Donohue

Assistants: Paul Hodskinson and Matthew McGrath

Fourth official: Geof Eltringham

Robins Foundation is delighted to host Alright My Liver at Ashton Gate ahead of the game.

‘Alright My Liver’ is a community NHS screening service for people across Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire, led by Bristol and Severn Hepatitis C Operational Delivery Network in collaboration with University Hospitals Bristol and Weston (UHBW) and Southwest Cancer Alliance Group (SWAG).

The main causes of liver disease are type 2 diabetes, obesity, viral hepatitis and alcohol excess. Liver disease increases the risk of various complications including liver cancer which can lead to cirrhosis (scarring) of the liver, which can often go undiagnosed for many years before symptoms develop.

City supporters are being invited to visit the Foundation’s offices in the South Stand concourse (S25/S26), following a short questionnaire will receive a FibroScan – a quick, non-invasive scan which can rule out or indicate liver cirrhosis. Fans will be in and out of the room within 15 minutes.

IMG_4434.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Robin 1
1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Another cracking home support. COYR

Remember going to Southampton away and they were flying, didn’t lose a game all year at home and we beat them 1-0. You never know 

Our home support has largely been the same all season give or take 1,000 between 20,000 to 21,000 with the away fans dictating the actual published attendance between 20,500 and 24,000

1 hour ago, 95red said:

Amazing  support  again considering  we got nothing  to play for this season.The lansdowns  must be thrilled. 

What you clearly fail to appreciate is that the vast majority of people attending the match are not posters on otib and not prone to the same extreme negativity or "I'm not gonna give my money to Lansdown" or "the season was over in January".

With 6 points between us and the top six and 45 points still up for grabs and several players on their way back , this team has everything to play for but, hey, don't let that get in the way of your negative nonsense.

• Like 10
  • Facepalm 2

Annoyingly I can’t make tomorrow.

If there’s anyone who would love to go but can’t because they’re skint right now or whatever, message me and I’ll forward my ticket to you FOC.

Nice seat in the lower Lansdown. COYR

*****Ticket now gone******

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 13
23 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

If there’s anyone who would love to go but can’t because they’re skint right now or whatever, message me and I’ll forward my ticket to you FOC.

Still going?

36 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What you clearly fail to appreciate is that the vast majority of people attending the match are not posters on otib and not prone to the same extreme negativity or "I'm not gonna give my money to Lansdown" or "the season was over in January".

With 6 points between us and the top six and 45 points still up for grabs and several players on their way back , this team has everything to play for but, hey, don't let that get in the way of your negative nonsense.

is everything ok bud

I moved to Southampton from Bristol in 1976, so have many, many Southampton fans as friends. They are waiting to give me some stick on Wednesday morning. So please City give me a win, so i an go around Southampton on Wednesday with my City bobble hat and a big smile. The games between to two of us i remember well was the the FA cup 4th round at Ashton Gate 1967,38,017, when we won 1-0 Terry Bush. Which gave us that famous 5th round tie at Tottenham we lost 2-0.The year before 1966 the both of us were pushing for promotion .We played them at home on Good Friday and lost 0-1. I went down to Southampton on Easter Monday and we were winning 1-2, Ford (pen) and Gerry Sharpe. With minutes to go Terry Paine made it 2-2 and that was our dreams finished. I remember getting Alf Ramsey autograph after the match. Alf was a ex Southampton and of course made his name worldwide a few months latter. A few years ago Southampton had no lost a home fixture for the whole calander year, and would make history if the did not lose to us at St Marys a couple of days before new year, and guess what we won, and i remind my Southampton friends that story from time to time. So with them on this unbeaton run. I would really, really love it if we won tomorrow night. COYRs.

• Like 5
  • Robin 3
1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

*****Ticket now gone******

Yes please , & 2 pints and a pie please 👍

• Haha 1