IGNORED

A Pretty Good Question From The Clubs Twitter…

Silvio Dante

I’d imagine there will be a lot of votes for Pompey in 1976 but in my time since the early 80s I can think of the following contenders:

- Man Utd and the 2-1 win

- Rovers and the Donowa goal

- Hartlepool playoffs

- Palace playoffs 

- West Brom under Lee Johnson when we went 3-0 up early (special as it was my sons first night game and we were unbelievable early, Webster playing CM IIRC!)

- Swindon “no,no,no”

- Hereford in Freight Rover

Anyone got other contenders?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d imagine there will be a lot of votes for Pompey in 1976 but in my time since the early 80s I can think of the following contenders:

- Hartlepool playoffs

- Palace playoffs 

- West Brom under Lee Johnson when we went 3-0 up early (special as it was my sons first night game and we were unbelievable early, Webster playing CM IIRC!)

- Swindon “no,no,no”

That Leeds game where we came back from 2 down to draw in the last couple of minutes with a Flint goal. The one where Pontus Jansen lost it completely and had to be subbed in the first half.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fat Controller said:

The 3-2 win over Rovers just before Christmas 2000 was pretty good. Friday night wasn't it?

It was. A derby on a Friday night. I’d been in pubs since noon and couldn’t see the ball for the first 20 mins until I sobered up a bit! 

Lots of amazing nights at the gate. My first game was a 2-1 win over Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night.   United game surely tops them all though 

• Flames 1

Definitely the Hartlepool game with Christian Roberts scoring the winner. The Dolman Stand shook such was the eruption of noise and celebrations.

The referee (Grahame Poll I think) said it was loudest roar he’d ever heard in any stadium.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Definitely the Hartlepool game with Christian Roberts scoring the winner. The Dolman Stand shook such was the eruption of noise and celebrations.

The referee (Grahame Poll I think) said it was loudest roar he’d ever heard in any stadium.

No he didn’t. You’ve repeated that line several times over the years and you’ve been shown he didn’t say it.

• Haha 7
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Hartlepool playoffs

- Palace playoffs 

- Swindon “no,no,no”

Liverpool, a 2-1 victory against the champions in May '77, in our penultimate game, thanks to a brace from Garland, in front of 37,000 fans. Then on to Highfield Road and the rest is history.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

City 5 Luton 2.  Goodridge and Goater were unplayable that night (this is more a personal fav) 

The pre Christmas derby - that was unbelievable 

The Luton game was 5-0 wasn’t it? Goodridges debut?

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

No he didn’t. You’ve repeated that line several times over the years and you’ve been shown he didn’t say it.

He said this, in a Telegraph interview

"Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Henry said:

To be fair, the exact quote from the Telegraph at the time was as detailed below. I’m not sure, for once, @Robbored is talking complete nonsense and it’s a bit of semantics to pull him up here.

Edit - @The Fat Controller posted at the same time 👍

IMG_2502.jpeg

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beating the gas 3-2 on black eye Friday , in town on the piss from lunch time the atmosphere before the game then the disbelief when bignott scored for them after about 45 seconds then us just blowing them away ,

Hereford was really good , young un then 

Hartlepool very good to but yep gas one for me 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Liverpool, a 2-1 victory against the champions in May '77, in our penultimate game, thanks to a brace from Garland, in front of 37,000 fans. Then on to Highfield Road and the rest is history.

38,000 actually. The quarter final in '74 was an orderly, all-ticket 37,000, whilst the league game in '77 was an unruly, who-s-counting-tonight?, free fer all with 38,800 odd, allegedly.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

City 5 Luton 2.  Goodridge and Goater were unplayable that night (this is more a personal fav) 

The pre Christmas derby - that was unbelievable 

Thought the 5-2 was Crewe ?

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Thought the 5-2 was Crewe ?

The 5-2 was Crewe in the following season (or the one after?) and was Goodridge and Akinbiyi (the ones where they wore the “so stick with us we need you” t shirts). It was also an afternoon game.

The Luton one was a 5-0 - see below:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The 5-2 was Crewe in the following season (or the one after?) and was Goodridge and Akinbiyi (the ones where they wore the “so stick with us we need you” t shirts). It was also an afternoon game.

The Luton one was a 5-0 - see below:

I seem to remember (which isn't always accurate) that the Crewe game was our first win of the season.

Just checked - it was indeed our first win in the 10th game.

Back on topic, I would say the Palace game was the most memorable for me, it was a chance of the Premier League at Wembley following that game.

Second place goes to the Hartlepool game.

The Man.Utd game was memorable as a one off game in the third spot.

• Like 1