IGNORED

A Pretty Good Question From The Clubs Twitter…

Silvio Dante

44 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Liverpool, a 2-1 victory against the champions in May '77, in our penultimate game, thanks to a brace from Garland, in front of 37,000 fans. Then on to Highfield Road and the rest is history.

30 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

38,000 actually. The quarter final in '74 was an orderly, all-ticket 37,000, whilst the league game in '77 was an unruly, who-s-counting-tonight?, free fer all with 38,800 odd, allegedly.

Correct it wasn't a ticket game, the capacity (37,000) was exceeded and just under 39,000 announced as the gate. A good couple of thousand were also locked outside. 

I don't know if the exceeding of the capacity by nearly 2,000 had an effect upon the capacity the next season onwards which was reduced to 32,000. 

I remember being in the Open End on that Monday night, where Garland headed the winner against Clemence. I think the first was a diving header near halftime in the East End goal to equalise Johnson's opener for Liverpool. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I seem to remember (which isn't always accurate) that the Crewe game was our first win of the season.

Just checked - it was indeed our first win in the 10th game.

Back on topic, I would say the Palace game was the most memorable for me, it was a chance of the Premier League at Wembley following that game.

Second place goes to the Hartlepool game.

The Man.Utd game was memorable as a one off game in the third spot.

I think Man Utd comes in first for me for family reasons. I may have mentioned before but it was my wife’s 40th and she  acquiesced to me going, on the basis that otherwise myself and my daughter would have just been in a piss all night! I will take to the grave with me the look of pure joy and shock on my daughters face when Korey scored - she stood open mouthed and stunned and said “I’ve never felt like this before”. It’ll pretty much always be number one for that reason.

Second for me is the Donowa game. Went through so much shit of not beating Rovers so for Holloway to miss a penalty and then a last minute winner was so sweet it was untrue.

Hereford in third. Primary school aged me seeing the team I’d not long supported get to Wembley set a dangerous precedent though!

• Robin 1

It's a stupid question.

The sort only a juvenile intern who isn't really a fan could ask - posting clickbait shite, with no genuine interest in the answer so long as there's social media traction.

So **** off non-fan whoever you are.

It's impossible to say one is better than the rest.

Hereford 86. Donovan 91. Pompey 76. The first ever game under lights against Wolves. The list is endless. Stupid bloody question

The night Gordon Owen tore Swindon a new one. Liverpool 77.

On it goes. Anybody who's actually been there as a fan for even 5 minutes wouldn't ask such a dumb ass question.

How about the night the Saints didn't go marching in 2024? 

I somehow doubt it but we live in hope.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Correct it wasn't a ticket game, the capacity (37,000) was exceeded and just under 39,000 announced as the gate. A good couple of thousand were also locked outside. 

I don't know if the exceeding of the capacity by nearly 2,000 had an effect upon the capacity the next season onwards which was reduced to 32,000. 

I remember being in the Open End on that Monday night, where Garland headed the winner against Clemence. I think the first was a diving header near halftime in the East End goal to equalise Johnson's opener for Liverpool. 

And most of those locked out climbed in through the back of the East End. I’ve never known it so packed in there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's a stupid question.

The sort only a juvenile intern who isn't really a fan could ask - posting clickbait shite, with no genuine interest in the answer so long as there's social media traction.

Hereford 86. Donovan 91. Pompey 76. The first ever game under lights against Wolves. The list is endless. Stupid bloody question

On it goes. Anybody who's actually been there as a fan for even 5 minutes wouldn't ask such a dumb ass question.

Think Donovan was 68. Everyone in the enclosure had flowers in their hair that night ...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's a stupid question.

I don't think it's that deep really

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That Leeds game where we came back from 2 down to draw in the last couple of minutes with a Flint goal. The one where Pontus Jansen lost it completely and had to be subbed in the first half.

Yes, remember that, it was so funny. If I remember right he got booked for kicking the ball away. But it wasn’t just a tap into the advertising boards - he actually got it out of the ground 😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

It was (a diving header, that is). I think the winner was a header as well.

Edited by firstdivision
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

City 5 Luton 2.  Goodridge and Goater were unplayable that night (this is more a personal fav) 

The pre Christmas derby - that was unbelievable 

Was that when Thorpe got sent off for them ?

I think there was a pathetic crowd of 7k odd, yes gash I did say pathetic !

3 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

38,000 actually. The quarter final in '74 was an orderly, all-ticket 37,000, whilst the league game in '77 was an unruly, who-s-counting-tonight?, free fer all with 38,800 odd, allegedly.

My apologies, I should have verified the attendance, which was 38,688 and has been documented by our Merseyside rivals, https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/977. Mind you, 'Gerald' Sweeney?

Edited by Curr Avon

11 hours ago, Henry said:

No he didn’t. You’ve repeated that line several times over the years and you’ve been shown he didn’t say it.

Yawn yourself. 

If anyone else had posted that reference you would have ignored it but because it was @Robbored you thought you’d join the gang. 
Childish and tantamount to bullying behaviour by posting replies which were not quite verbatim but were pretty close to it. There is an ignore button you can use if it bothers you that much. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

In my top 5

Leyton Orient 5-3 after being 3-1 down at half time. '73/'74 ish

Spurs League Cup semi final 1970.

And who can forget Hull and Cashleys goal.

Weird, I always cite that Leyton Orient games as one of most memorable games, but I remember it as a normal Saturday afternoon?

Anyway, one of my favourite night games wasn't that significant to anyone but me really. I had two older brothers (one no longer with us) both in the navy at the time, so its the only game I can remember where all three of us were able to go.

We beat Plymouth 3-2, at 2-2 we got a free kick about 30 yards out in front of the East End where we were standing. Jimmy Mann put the ball down and I said "they haven't put up a wall", both my brothers (not being regulars) said it's a long way out, but I was pretty much celebrating the goal before it even hit the net.

Great memories for me, first time in the ground with them both and then an equally rare evening in the pub with them after the game.

44 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

In my top 5

Leyton Orient 5-3 after being 3-1 down at half time. '73/'74 ish

Spurs League Cup semi final 1970.

And who can forget Hull and Cashleys goal.

I am sorry, I had to look this up for my own sanity (I worry about any memory lapses these days :( ), not to belittle you. 

The Orient game was a Saturday afternoon, 23/10/1971. I was approaching my 10th birthday. It was a great game, but doesn't quite fit the "great night game" criteria being discussed.

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That Leeds game where we came back from 2 down to draw in the last couple of minutes with a Flint goal. The one where Pontus Jansen lost it completely and had to be subbed in the first half.

That was my wife's first ever time going to a football match, I had to be very clear that it isn't usually like that 😄

• Like 1