IGNORED

Matt James

Ecko

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

A site that lists "Sam Bellis" as our player and lists Scott Twine, Alex Scott and Tomas Kalas together in the same squad isn't especially impressive.

It also says: "A.Scott signed an annual average salary of €20,000,000 contract with the Bristol City. A.Scott earned £280,655 per week in Bristol City." Really? Who's falling for that?

Literally took less than 2 seconds to know that site was a load of bollocks. 

Don’t know how anyone could look at that and think, yeah that looks legit 😂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, One Team said:

You don’t get promoted to and play in the Premier League without quality and he still has plenty of it. He’s still ‘only’ 32 so could have a few years left yet at this level. 

Yes,not old if your looking after yourself -

Would be a nuts decision to let him go....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Brent said:

We’ll look to sign a younger player instead imo. 

Imho I think the club believe they already have, ie Max Bird.

Not wholly like for like, but I think they see Bird playing in CM, and that’s one less place for someone like James, King and / or Williams.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not wholly like for like, but I think they see Bird playing in CM, and that’s one less place for someone like James, King and / or Williams.

I think so too. Another goal and an assist for Bird last night. 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was thinking Bird and another in the summer. I can really see none of James, King or Williams being here. 

8 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I was thinking Bird and another in the summer. I can really see none of James, King or Williams being here. 

I think that would be a terrible decision, that experience and indeed excellence all gone at once.

King you can definitely make a case, the other 2 we should make major efforts to keep. IMO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Yes,not old if your looking after yourself -

Would be a nuts decision to let him go....

And especially as his game isn’t based on hard or long running like say Knights is.

I think the phrase the first few yards are in your head is perfect for James.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grifty said:

And especially as his game isn’t based on hard or long running like say Knights is.

I think the phrase the first few yards are in your head is perfect for James.

I think you've identified the "footballing" reason behind his likely release - running. Imo, they want all our midfielders to be athletic, hard runners. And that is James' only weakness - if he was mobile and athletic he wouldn't be playing for us as the rest of his game is top notch.

Factor in the "non-footballing" reason - a saving on wages can be made - and there you have it. Cheerio to a top, top player. To be replaced by one 9 years younger, cheaper and who's played a lot of football.

That will be the reasoning, whether we agree with it or not. The proof will be in the pudding I guess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on Williams he joined for iirc somewhere between £1.5-2m on a 4 year deal.

Amortisation saving will thus kick in if he is renewed/extended. Given Football Wages + Amortisation + Agents Fees is the formula..you can mix and match a bit across the Pots.

Paging @Davefevs 😄

On 14/02/2024 at 12:44, ExiledAjax said:

I just wonder if one has to be sacrificed in order to free up wages for the striker that I think we need.

With Bird coming in, and I guess with Benarous hopefully finally being fit, we may find that we can let someone from CM go. If that's one of the higher earners then maybe that allows expansion elsewhere.

I'm not saying I want either James or Williams to leave, but if we need to free up some budget to increase depth up front that will mean difficult decisions elsewhere in the squad.

Think it would be more likely that we sign a free agent on lesser wages than James to save money who has progression chance, to compete with TGH and Williams.

Noticed the other day Shandon Baptiste is out of contract at Brentford end of the season- another Oxford connection (for example) if we chose to go that way.

Signed in the Championship for them and had no promotion wage rise clause. So not a long shot salary wise - rumoured to be on £12kpw. Unlikely, but just highlighting where the clubs thought process could be.

If James and Williams, want away then fair enough. But we'd be mental not to offer James another contract and maybe Williams as well. 

Both are now fully versed in how we are going to play, both offer experience, and both have played the system in competitive games. 

Shooting ourselves in the foot if we bring in new players to replace and have to bed them in again during games which lose points. Playing catch up again. Would rather hit the ground running with the system imbedded. 

Let alone losing all that experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Think it would be more likely that we sign a free agent on lesser wages than James to save money who has progression chance, to compete with TGH and Williams.

Noticed the other day Shandon Baptiste is out of contract at Brentford end of the season- another Oxford connection (for example) if we chose to go that way.

Signed in the Championship for them and had no promotion wage rise clause. So not a long shot salary wise - rumoured to be on £12kpw. Unlikely, but just highlighting where the clubs thought process could be.

£12k per week is absolutely in our range for a first team player. We'd probably offer a rise to £30k(ish) on promotion.