IGNORED

Matt James

Ecko

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think it's about the offer we make, it's about what he wants his personal circumstances to look like for another 2 years. 

Does he really want to be away from home and a young family 4-5 nights a week? It will be a tough decision for him.

I’d wager you’ve bumped into him around the marina and had a chat at some point? Or just taking a sensible stab at a likely thought process?

20 minutes ago, t_b said:

I’d wager you’ve bumped into him around the marina and had a chat at some point? Or just taking a sensible stab at a likely thought process?

I haven't approached him, but I have said before he looks a bit of a lonely figure sat outside Costa face timing presumably his family on a  Friday night.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I haven't approached him, but I have said before he looks a bit of a lonely figure sat outside Costa face timing presumably his family on a  Friday night.

Do you think he only came because of Nige? It certainly seemed to put us in pole position to sign him.

Would not be cheap to replace him like for like with a younger model and you would lose all that experience.

I hope we offer him something decent and he wants to stay. Don't think anyone would begrudge him a move closer to home for the reasons you've mentioned though.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I’ve never seen him without a coffee cup in hand….in fact he was so good last night I think he might’ve taken it out onto the pitch…and still didn’t spill a drop!

42 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Do you think he only came because of Nige? It certainly seemed to put us in pole position to sign him.

Would not be cheap to replace him like for like with a younger model and you would lose all that experience.

I hope we offer him something decent and he wants to stay. Don't think anyone would begrudge him a move closer to home for the reasons you've mentioned though.

I’m sure that was a big factor in him coming, but might not be a reason to not stay having been here 3 seasons.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I actually highly doubt he is on massive wages. Competitive wages sure, but not at the level.. post Covid, NP connection, as we were entering the austerity era.

£27, 500 a week apparently, our highest earner 

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, NotRoyal said:

£27, 500 a week apparently, our highest earner 

Not a chance

Do you really think that Pearson who knew he had to cut and work with a significantly reduced budget and somebody who spoke almost as soon as he arrived that he believed in wages being similar amongst first tram players and persuaded AW , NB , NW to sign extended contracts on reduced terms , was party to bringing James here on 27.5k a week

Not a chance

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Likewise on the location for all my spots of him - at least if he is departing at the end of the season it’s easy to find him and pass on a word of thanks to him for his contribution to us. 

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

Pete, don't do this to us, really hope you've not heard something on the grapevine. Matty was top drawer tonight and we need him signed up asap along with Williams who was also excellent tonight.

I haven’t heard a scooby to be clear, just really can’t see him staying. Hope I’m wrong 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I haven’t heard a scooby to be clear, just really can’t see him staying. Hope I’m wrong 

Didn't he say in the the recent press conference that the ball is in City's court currently? Maybe we're waiting it out 🤷‍♂️

Will be a real shame not to have him at the club if he goes.

I wonder if he'll be looking at contract length above other factors?

Edited by mozo

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Didn't he say in the the recent press conference that the ball is in City's court currently? Maybe we're waiting it out 🤷‍♂️

Will be a real shame not to have him at the club if he goes.

I wonder if he'll be looking at contract length above other factors?

Both him & Joe Williams said publicly in press conferences that they want to stay. Cant get much more clear than that that it’ll be (broadly) a club decision if they go. 

What I would say, is that if the club are still undecided on them both even after they’re incredible performances over the last few months, then they wont be getting new deals. If that can’t convince them, surely nothing can. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Both him & Joe Williams said publicly in press conferences that they want to stay. Cant get much more clear than that that it’ll be (broadly) a club decision if they go. 

What I would say, is that if the club are still undecided on them both even after they’re incredible performances over the last few months, then they wont be getting new deals. If that can’t convince them, surely nothing can. 

I just wonder if one has to be sacrificed in order to free up wages for the striker that I think we need.

With Bird coming in, and I guess with Benarous hopefully finally being fit, we may find that we can let someone from CM go. If that's one of the higher earners then maybe that allows expansion elsewhere.

I'm not saying I want either James or Williams to leave, but if we need to free up some budget to increase depth up front that will mean difficult decisions elsewhere in the squad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I just wonder if one has to be sacrificed in order to free up wages for the striker that I think we need.

With Bird coming in, and I guess with Benarous hopefully finally being fit, we may find that we can let someone from CM go. If that's one of the higher earners then maybe that allows expansion elsewhere.

I'm not saying I want either James or Williams to leave, but if we need to free up some budget to increase depth up front that will mean difficult decisions elsewhere in the squad.

Thats why I I think James will go. Hes the older, more expensive, player. Bird is certainly the type of player that will be his replacement too imo. What I would say is that, for squad depth, we should really have all 3, I think people forget we overall have a very small squad still. But finances might not allow that. 

I honestly don’t think they can think or plan about Benarous atm, given his horrific injury woes. He is also much better in more advanced roles, rather than play in CM the way that TGH/James/Williams do. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

What I would say is that, for squad depth, we should really have all 3, I think people forget we overall have a very small squad still. But finances might not allow that. 

I agree. My overriding thought is that this summer has to be focused on depth. For example I'd much rather spend wages on two players that can be relied on to give a 6/10 performance in every game that on one who gives 9/10. If that is a choice that needs to be made.

I think that whichever of them are here next year it will be financial considerations that drive the outcome rather than football.

It's an ugly decision that I'm glad I'm not actually making.

I do agree on Benarous as well, but think he should be included in the discussion.

Joe Williams you can offer a 4 year deal and he's still an asset, whereas with James we wouldn't offer him more than 2 years and he's of no commercial value.

That's how I think a Lansdown would see it!

You'd think Jamo would have quite a few options in the summer.

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think the “budget” is a smokescreen.  We’ve sold a £20m player against an already smaller wage-bill.  We’ve probably generated greater revenues from higher gates, a few quid from a cup run, and have a new tv deal next season.

Whilst not advocating spending wildly, I don’t think a new striker would hamper a decision to keep any player….it will be down to a combo of how much we want to pay them versus their worth.

(all imho)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Joe Williams you can offer a 4 year deal and he's still an asset, whereas with James we wouldn't offer him more than 2 years and he's of no commercial value.

That's how I think a Lansdown would see it!

You'd think Jamo would have quite a few options in the summer.

Based on recent form about 18 offers, I reckon.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the “budget” is a smokescreen.  We’ve sold a £20m player against an already smaller wage-bill.  We’ve probably generated greater revenues from higher gates, a few quid from a cup run, and have a new tv deal next season.

But there will be a budget. It might not be "The Budget" referred to earlier this season, but there will be a pot of money allocated. There may be some flex in that, but it will be a budget. Maybe the "wage structure" is the better term for what I mean.

In addition to positive items you set out  we've got reform of P&S/SCMP coming in, and a regulator on the horizon so need to be conscious of how a 3 or 4 year contract for £X per week looks under those future regimes as well as next season.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think a new striker would hamper a decision to keep any player….it will be down to a combo of how much we want to pay them versus their worth.

Worth is a good word. Is it worth keeping James and Williams but maybe - and I recognise that you don't think it's this tight - not signing the most expensive striking option. Or do you say "no we're stacked in midfield, we need to invest up front". 

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

The club have flirted with having an older, experienced CM (Hartley, O’Neil, Brunt) for years. For once, they got it right with James. It would be madness not to have the conversation with him. We saw how badly it went when we tried replacing Pack and Smith at once.

• Like 2

But...but...but.... you can't keep him and Williams.  The two just cannot be on the pitch at the same time....  according to some!

And those "some" should just re-watch last night back and if they still believe it, then they should give up watching football altogether..

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on Williams he joined for iirc somewhere between £1.5-2m on a 4 year deal.

Amortisation saving will thus kick in if he is renewed/extended. Given Football Wages + Amortisation + Agents Fees is the formula..you can mix and match a bit across the Pots.

Pretty sure it was £1m.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We should definitely look to keep both, make them good offers.

James, Knight, Williams, TGH, Bird, (even Naismith can play there) would be a bit good wouldn't it?

Not fully sure where Murphy goes and Stokes a bit higher up).

And I know, like me, you’re just a fan giving a view…but it is this kinda thinking that I hope we don’t go through again.  And I think we are better these days, and why something like one or both players not getting extensions might be the right decision, even if it doesn’t feel like it.

(if that makes sense)

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on Williams he joined for iirc somewhere between £1.5-2m on a 4 year deal.

Amortisation saving will thus kick in if he is renewed/extended. Given Football Wages + Amortisation + Agents Fees is the formula..you can mix and match a bit across the Pots.

£1.25m - came from the Administrator!

of which at the end of Feb will be about £100k left.  Not that I’m one for being blasé about the finances, but £100k spread over x more years isn’t really worth worrying about!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Not a chance

Do you really think that Pearson who knew he had to cut and work with a significantly reduced budget and somebody who spoke almost as soon as he arrived that he believed in wages being similar amongst first tram players and persuaded AW , NB , NW to sign extended contracts on reduced terms , was party to bringing James here on 27.5k a week

Not a chance

https://m.aiscore.com/salary/team-bristol-city-r8lk2dip3oi3736#:~:text=1.,earning £27%2C500 per week.

• Haha 4

Both Matt James and Joe Williams were excellent last night.

Many on here have spoken of one or perhaps both leaving at the end of the season, but whilst I suppose Andy King’s departure is almost inevitable, I would like to see both MJ and JW retained, as much for the knowledge and experience they could pass on to the younger midfielders we have just signed as for their own ability and experience on the pitch.

I appreciate both would need to compromise on their salaries etc., but I should be disappointed if both leave.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NotRoyal said:

A site that lists "Sam Bellis" as our player and lists Scott Twine, Alex Scott and Tomas Kalas together in the same squad isn't especially impressive.

It also says: "A.Scott signed an annual average salary of €20,000,000 contract with the Bristol City. A.Scott earned £280,655 per week in Bristol City." Really? Who's falling for that?

• Like 2