IGNORED

The Ref

GrahamC

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

They did one at the very end when we were on the break, again no booking given.

Ref played advantage I think? There was at least one or two where that was the case and I’m almost certain if they aren’t actually successful in stopping the attack then it’s no yellow (unless it’s dangerous etc)

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Linesman in front of the Lansdown was alright. The one in front of the Dolman looked clueless. And if you had told me the referee came from Southampton, it wouldn’t have surprised me. Bednarek should have been booked for his foul on Conway in the second half but he waved “play on” and never brought it back to book him. Pathetic! 

He was dogshit!

• Like 3

• Admin
2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Ref played advantage I think? There was at least one or two where that was the case and I’m almost certain if they aren’t actually successful in stopping the attack then it’s no yellow (unless it’s dangerous etc)

The "advantage" where Mehmeti took two touches before being tackled by the same guy who fouled Conway? To me, that was a short enough time to find it incredulous that he didn't pull it back for a free-kick. Southampton then got a corner from our "advantage" instead of us having a free-kick just outside the box and their player wasn't even booked.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Ian M said:

The "advantage" where Mehmeti took two touches before being tackled by the same guy who fouled Conway? To me, that was a short enough time to find it incredulous that he didn't pull it back for a free-kick. Southampton then got a corner from our "advantage" instead of us having a free-kick just outside the box and their player wasn't even booked.

Completely agree

4 hours ago, Ian M said:

That whole rule around how long you play advantage for needs tightening up. I get that it's a little bit subjective but often I'll see refs play advantage then pull it back 3-4 seconds later (correctly IMO) if the advantage doesn't play out then in other games, the advantage is lost after 1-2 seconds and the official deems the time too long to pull it back. 

• Like 2

Just looked and the count was 2 Yellows each . That is pathetic when you think they committed at least 4 cynical "one for the team" type offences . 
The Ref even seemed incapable of remembering who committed a foul . One he actually pointed at a player in the box as the move ended , I guess talking with the Lino , then seemed unsure and shrugged . We've had bad Refs, but he was like someone who had won a Comp to be there, out of his depth and completely lost .

• Like 4

• Admin
12 hours ago, Middsie said:

Can a yellow be overturned? Vyner didn't touch him and the Southampton lad clearly in training for the Olympic hurdles! 

No

Only red cards can be appealed 

At best we will get the monthly apology letter from the PGMOL

8 hours ago, Ian M said:

Absolutely. And to compound it, when he played an advantage to Soton some time later, and they lost it, he pulled it back and gave them the free kick.

Twice he pointed one way for a throw in and then gave it the other way.

I actually thought he had a decent first half. And then went completely to pieces second. The classic ‘game of two halfs’

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

No

A Professional and Competent Referee , having now seen footage of the incident and the complete error in the decision 

Should IMO being including in his report that he has since seen footage of the incident and it is clear he made an obvious error and that the yellow card should be rescinded.

I don’t know what the official protocols or guidance are to officials.

** Or like some excellent refs in local football would book you , especially in cases of dissent , but at the end of the match grin and whisper  ‘won’t be putting it in , but calm it down in future eh’ 👍🏻🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Yellow for Zak utterly bizarre

Not bizarre but simply wrong. There was no contact but perhaps from his viewpoint he thought there was in which case the yellow card would have been justified. What's wrong is that, unlike a red card, the yellow card can't be retrospectively overturned. 

• Like 2

Last night's referee was no worse or better than any other operating these days. In over 60 years of watching professional football I honestly believe today's crop are the worst I've seen. That said, refereeing the modern game is incredibly hard. Today's refs are subjected to frequent law changes by the numpties running football, interference by their own body PGMOL (whose only role is to issue letters of apology for its members), constant haranguing by players and coaches and endless scrutiny by TV voiced by pundits who know less about the laws of the game than I know about the interpretation of modern dance. The expectation of consistency across referees is a fallacy. The laws of the game may be the same for each match but their interpretation varies. Like me or anyone else referees are not robots but individuals with all the inconsistencies inherent in us. We cannot expect one ref to be consistent with another. The most that can be hoped for is that a single ref can be consistent through a game or in his performance throughout a season. 

6 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

That whole rule around how long you play advantage for needs tightening up. I get that it's a little bit subjective but often I'll see refs play advantage then pull it back 3-4 seconds later (correctly IMO) if the advantage doesn't play out then in other games, the advantage is lost after 1-2 seconds and the official deems the time too long to pull it back. 

It's a very frustrating, but also difficult rule.

IMO if the player has still made his pass, and the next one cocks it up, whether it's 2 seconds or 6 is irrelevant we've had the "advantage" in that the balls gone to it's intended target regardless of the foul.

Though when it does become subjective is if the receiving player is under more pressure because the player that was fouled was slowed down, or couldn't make his pass correctly.

I think it's one of those that someone who's played the game will understand better than a ref that hasn't.

Very similarly is the " he got his shot away" when fouled in the box - as if the shot wouldn't have been better had the player not been off balance from the foul.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

A Professional and Competent Referee , having now seen footage of the incident and the complete error in the decision 

Should IMO being including in his report that he has since seen footage of the incident and it is clear he made an obvious error and that the yellow card should be rescinded.

I don’t know what the official protocols or guidance are to officials.

Common sense would agree with you, but for now that can only be done for reds and not yellows

Rather than bring in nonsense blue cards etc, this is something that could be brought into the game that would be of benefit

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not bizarre but simply wrong. There was no contact but perhaps from his viewpoint he thought there was in which case the yellow card would have been justified. What's wrong is that, unlike a red card, the yellow card can't be retrospectively overturned. 

Just to play devil’s advocate a little, there does not have to be contact if the ref deems it reckless. He went in studs showing, and it was as well he did not make contact. I am not entirely sure it would be overturned if it could be appealed. 

Having said that, pretty sure the ref thought there was contact and their player made a meal of it.

7 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Think it was the ref in our home tie against Forest who got this right. Some were complaining he took to long to blow for a foul, but ‘his thing’ was to certainly give it long enough to decide to either play a real advantage or bring it back., 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Common sense would agree with you, but for now that can only be done for reds and not yellows

Rather than bring in nonsense blue cards etc, this is something that could be brought into the game that would be of benefit

I think it’s a case you can only appeal red cards Mark

As I say what the protocols are with regards to volunteered post match observations of the referee I don’t know

Edited by Sheltons Army

14 hours ago, BLRed said:

Penalty should never have been a card either. Penalty was enough. Player came from behind so was no intention. Ref was terrible but fortunately, he could stop us playing the way we did

I don't think Cornick was booked for the pen.  On Sky they seemed to think it was Williams for his protests that was booked.

As for appealing bookings, this can only be done in the case of mistaken identity....I mean the ref did mistakenly identify Zak as someone who made any sort of contact with a player, but no, it can't be appealed on the basis of the refs incompetence. 

I think I'm right in thinking that the FA could decide to rescind the card without appeal if they decide they want to punish him for diving, but it's unlikely that would happen for an incident outside of the box.  Shite position to hold, but there you go.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Just to play devil’s advocate a little, there does not have to be contact if the ref deems it reckless. He went in studs showing, and it was as well he did not make contact. I am not entirely sure it would be overturned if it could be appealed. 

Having said that, pretty sure the ref thought there was contact and their player made a meal of it.

You make a good point about contact, or lack of it, but equally think you got it right on your last sentence that he thought there was contact, hence the booking. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phantom said:

No

Those apology letters are fine if you've won the match but a waste of time if you lost it. Apologies for penalties ignored or red cards given don't give you any points back!

• Like 2

I was somewhat surprised that the Lineo (i.e. because he was inept) saw Smallbone get a touch on the ball putting it through to Mehmeti for our first goal. Admittedly the Lineo was very close but sometimes being so close to it that could have been missed. I was waiting for the offside flag.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

And to be incredibly pedantic (sorry!), only for straight red cards and not those that are for two yellow cards.