IGNORED

Dickie and Vyner

Port Said Red

Great centre halves usually come in pairs and these guys are no exception, I am struggling to remember when we last had such an effective pairing so well matched in their relative talents.

They seem to get stronger and stronger with every game, Vyners pace covers for Dickie, Dickies aerial ability is a godsend for Zak. They are both relishing the way we are set up now as well, they have so many more options when they win the ball, they can stride forward knowing there is cover, they can pass short or long knowing there are options. 

For all the changes that Manning has made, they have been the bedrock for him to work from.

• Like 11
  • Robin 3

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Dickie has not just been our signing of the summer but also our player of the season. Been consistently good ever since the Birmingham home match. What a signing for 1M and what a player.

Hard to disagree with this, Dickie has been outstanding all season, as has Zak of course. 

I absolutely adore the way Vyner has turned his reputation around here and long may it continue.

I was sceptical of whether he could play Manning ball, solid defender but wasn’t especially known for his ball playing ability. Now he’s out here threading outside of the foot passes down the line to our wingers like Kevin De Bruyne.

5 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

Hard to disagree with this, Dickie has been outstanding all season, as has Zak of course. 

Geezer behind me calls Dickie a donkey every week as well. It's unbelievable how very little some people know about football

• Sad 1

Vyner is probably the most important player to keep fit in the squad.

No real replacement for him. Only Pring could do a similar job with ‘pace’

Dickie needs pace along side him. Needs Vyners  as cover when he moves into midfield with the ball.

They make a very combination.

Vyner most unsung player in the team maybe with Tanner both are having really good seasons. 

• Like 2

I said a while ago I think the Vyner/Dickie partnership could be one of the strongest we’ve seen since Kalas/Webster and I stand by that. They both compliment each other so well. I was very pleased to see Sky do a piece on Zak before the game saying how crucial he is to the team. I still think some fans overlook how important he is for us. To Zak’s credit I think this is because we’ve almost got used to him now performing at a 7 or 8/10 most weeks. Not many CBs in the championship have the attributes he has imo, I thought he was brilliant today and was probably my MOTM.

As for Dickie, what a signing he has been. No idea why QPR let him go for such a small fee, he might not be the quickest but he’s terrific on the ball and great in the air. I think top 6 this season might be a little too soon, but if we keep these two fit and playing well I really do feel excited about next season. Especially if O’Leary, Tanner, Pring and Mccorie carry on with their great performances too. Great time to be a city fan 😁

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TommyD68 said:

I said a while ago I think the Vyner/Dickie partnership could be one of the strongest we’ve seen since Kalas/Webster and I stand by that. They both compliment each other so well. I was very pleased to see Sky do a piece on Zak before the game saying how crucial he is to the team. I still think some fans overlook how important he is for us. To Zak’s credit I think this is because we’ve almost got used to him now performing at a 7 or 8/10 most weeks. Not many CBs in the championship have the attributes he has imo, I thought he was brilliant today and was probably my MOTM.

As for Dickie, what a signing he has been. No idea why QPR let him go for such a small fee, he might not be the quickest but he’s terrific on the ball and great in the air. I think top 6 this season might be a little too soon, but if we keep these two fit and playing well I really do feel excited about next season. Especially if O’Leary, Tanner, Pring and Mccorie carry on with their great performances too. Great time to be a city fan 😁

If I may, as a QPR supporter (over here for your excellent FFP thread) I can answer that.

Dickie was great when we signed him, but he'd been well a truly QPR'd and was playing as if in a state of shock last season. To his credit he never hid, but regularly cost us at least a goal every match. He was entering his last year of contract and none of us expected him to be offered an extension. We had a big FFP hole to fill, and so accepted a reasonable offer for him.

I'm pleased he has recovered from his time with us, he always seems a genuine bloke. 

• Thanks 5

Vyner, Dickie and Atkinson (when back to full fitness) could be a brilliant back three from a defensive point of view, but just imagine the goals from set plays.  With Pring and McCrorie as wing backs, we really seem to have a brilliant foundation. I hope that people will remember the manager who envisioned this set up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SimonD said:

If I may, as a QPR supporter (over here for your excellent FFP thread) I can answer that.

Dickie was great when we signed him, but he'd been well a truly QPR'd and was playing as if in a state of shock last season. To his credit he never hid, but regularly cost us at least a goal every match. He was entering his last year of contract and none of us expected him to be offered an extension. We had a big FFP hole to fill, and so accepted a reasonable offer for him.

I'm pleased he has recovered from his time with us, he always seems a genuine bloke. 

Makes sense! Not entirely sure who Dickie had next to him last season either at QPR, but appreciate its not easy playing in a team that are fighting down the bottom of the league, especially as a CB. I think having Vyner next to him allows him to excel, not sure how good a partnership of Dickie and Naismith would work for example. 

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Great centre halves usually come in pairs and these guys are no exception, I am struggling to remember when we last had such an effective pairing so well matched in their relative talents.

They seem to get stronger and stronger with every game, Vyners pace covers for Dickie, Dickies aerial ability is a godsend for Zak. They are both relishing the way we are set up now as well, they have so many more options when they win the ball, they can stride forward knowing there is cover, they can pass short or long knowing there are options. 

For all the changes that Manning has made, they have been the bedrock for him to work from.

Rob dickie signing of the season for me