IGNORED

Mbude.

pillred

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Didn’t look ready to me, and either way was a total waste of bringing on our best wide attacker to play at RB. 

Just said on another thread Cornick should have come off, Tanner RB and Sykes Rwb. Too obvious though.

You're right Sykes just didn't look ready, but probably also a bit narked to come in at RB.

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

As I think only one other person has referred to in this thread so far,why bring on an untried teenager when you have Twine on the bench? Very strange decision Liam

Absolutely.  The only reason can be is that Twine isn’t ready.  And that then begs the question why was he on the bench in the first place.   

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Just said on another thread Cornick should have come off, Tanner RB and Sykes Rwb. Too obvious though.

You're right Sykes just didn't look ready, but probably also a bit narked to come in at RB.

Didn’t get him coming on at Rb if anything Roberts was the one absolutely blowing after 60 mins didn’t put another sprint in past 75.

McCrorie can do a full game so leave him on the pitch.

Agree R.E Cornick game was not suited to him yesterday I actually thought bringing him on was the correct thing but by 70 he had been on the pitch for nearly 50 minutes and had not grown into the game at all.

Twine being on the bench yet quite clearly not being fit enough to come on says a lot around how Manning views the current state of the 21s which are a bit of a dead crop now and it seems we are just waiting for the 18s to be ready. 

All the subs who came on yesterday did not make an impact in fact I feel worsened us as a collective I would’ve left Mehmeti 1v1 against Jimmy Dunne who was awful for them a real clumsy footballer. 

Just highlighted our offence weaknesses yesterday, lack of an incisive passer who can play on the floor through back lines (twine, KP to an extent esc) and pace while being in control on the wing as Mehmeti and cornick both lack pace. Mebude has pace but not the control and it was clear we singled out dunne as their weak link and to try get in behind him with bells pace.

That unfortunately went to pot after the injury and we just didn’t have a plan b players didn’t look confident in playing through the pitch as QPR defended narrow.

what we were left with was a slow casual sideways passing approach waiting for a magic moment which never came

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Everyone got way too overexcited when we signed Mebude. Having watched him today I thought he was absolutely atrocious and no where near a Championship player.  

Didn't help that he was introduced on the official site with a great fanfare as an exciting potential season changer.

Looks like he may have been just a last minute deadline day punt, with City determined to get a forward in, and all other options exhausted.

Very concerning display yesterday, but if he does prove to be completely out of his depth the fault lies squarely with the club, not Mebude. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TomSutton said:

Didn’t get him coming on at Rb if anything Roberts was the one absolutely blowing after 60 mins didn’t put another sprint in past 75.

Agree R.E Cornick game was not suited to him yesterday I actually thought bringing him on was the correct thing but by 70 he had been on the pitch for nearly 50 minutes and had not grown into the game at all.

Twine being on the bench yet quite clearly not being fit enough to come on says a lot around how Manning views the current state of the 21s which are a bit of a dead crop now and it seems we are just waiting for the 18s to be ready. 

All the subs who came on yesterday did not make an impact in fact I feel worsened us as a collective I would’ve left Mehmeti 1v1 against Jimmy Dunne who was awful for them a real clumsy footballer. 

Just highlighted our offence weaknesses yesterday, lack of an incisive passer who can play on the floor through back lines (twine, KP to an extent esc) and pace while being in control on the wing as Mehmeti and cornick both lack pace. Mebude has pace but not the control and it was clear we singled out dunne as their weak link and to try get in behind him with bells pace.

That unfortunately went to pot after the injury and we just didn’t have a plan b players didn’t look confident in playing through the pitch as QPR defended narrow.

what we were left with was a slow casual sideways passing approach waiting for a magic moment which never came

Yep, I’m not sure anyone could object to Cornick coming on when he did based on recent performances and predicated on Sykes and Twine only being fit enough for c20-30 minutes. The other option was DM and we know how that panned out! The problem, again, is that if Twine was not fit enough for that 20-30 minutes then he shouldn’t have been on the bench - irrespective of how LM rates or doesn’t rate the academy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Didn't help that he was introduced on the official site with a great fanfare as an exciting potential season changer.

Looks like he may have been just a last minute deadline day punt, with City determined to get a forward in, and all other options exhausted.

Very concerning display yesterday, but if he does prove to be completely out of his depth the fault lies squarely with the club, not Mebude. 

That's funny, after his 5minute debut the other night, a lot of people were raving about him, just goes to show..... !

Should have took so and so off

should have brought on A instead of B

C D and E should have been on from the start

and why is F even getting in the team

Wrong to play formation  x when y is much better for this squad

God football management is so so easy with hindsight

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bedminster said:

Has he shown anything in those 18 games to suggest he’s good enough? Not for me. 

Think he’s shown some good stuff at times, helping take pressure off other front players with a style that causes typical Championship centre backs different problems. And not sure either NP or LM have quite worked out how to use him (don’t think his Luton record was a fluke). But overall sure he and management would say it hasn’t quite worked out, albeit for £300k hardly our worst signing over the years. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

That's funny, after his 5minute debut the other night, a lot of people were raving about him, just goes to show..... !

Indeed, but what about the points I raised, i.e, ridiculously OTT introduction on official site leading to completely unrealistic expectations, and looks like a last minute deadline day punt when all other signing options exhausted, just to announce a forward?

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks.

So, the horses mouth quote from Liam Manning of “He couldn’t play for two or three months because of visa issues, because of Brexit” is, per your sources (which I’m inclined to believe), an absolute straight out lie.

Whether that lie has been fed to him by higher ups or whether he decided to say it himself off piste is not known.

However, it is clear that Liam has outright lied. And it’s not a lie such as “Matty James won’t make the game” and then playing him - we all understand those. It’s a lie with disregard to the fans.

FFS!

So Manning is a perfect fit for the club then.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think he’s shown some good stuff at times, helping take pressure off other front players with a style that causes typical Championship centre backs different problems. And not sure either NP or LM have quite worked out how to use him (don’t think his Luton record was a fluke). But overall sure he and management would say it hasn’t quite worked out, albeit for £300k hardly our worst signing over the years. 

Is he a player a club should look to sign if they want to push for the Premier league? 

5 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Is he a player a club should look to sign if they want to push for the Premier league? 

Given we need a squad and won’t be awash with £10m players, I’ve no problem with a £300k signing. Is he likely to be the player that gets us over the line to the PL, no, but don’t think that equates to it’s awful he’s here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomSutton said:

Totally agree about Memehti who was getting at Dunne.  In essence, with Mebude & Cornick as our wide men we were playing with 9 as both had afternoons to forget. Dunne was terrible but rather annoyingly, he won 3 x 50/50 tackles in a row due to us not fancying it which is unforgivable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomSutton said:

Mehmeti was just starting to cause them problems and we were getting on top when the triple change was made. LM should have seen this and told the 3 subs to sit down to see how the next 5/10 mins played out, imo.

The subs killed us at a time when we were on top.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Given we need a squad and won’t be awash with £10m players, I’ve no problem with a £300k signing. Is he likely to be the player that gets us over the line to the PL, no, but don’t think that equates to it’s awful he’s here. 

I would agree if our owners didn't say they are trying to get to the Premier league. In which case Cornick wouldn't be any clubs choice aiming for that goal. He was 27 when we signed him. Had one OK season & an overall record of 1 in 6. He also didn't fit with our style of play ie. 3 up top. He's not an out n out striker nor a wide man. If anything he's a drifter, a 10 or false 9. A wasted wage

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That is interesting. The way it was framed by Tinnion and Manning was that DM hadn’t played due to visa issues, indicating he wasn’t allowed to play in the Belgian league. I don’t doubt that missing out on some or all of the pre season camp may impact your playing time - but not to the extent that you don’t kick a ball and your club are happy to get rid of you six months later, particularly when they’re not pulling up any trees and you’re one of their biggest ever signings.

I think my theory of “Tinnion (and Manning here) bullshitting” becomes more sound by the day. And to be clear, that’s not DMs fault. But for a club who are already having issues in how they communicate it’s bloody stupid at best.

So basically they embellished a story to give a false impression of what happened, and make it sound like a real coup.  It might be a real coup, but not for the reasons they gave.  Basically he just didn’t play very well at Westerlo.  There is just no need for bullshit.

We had the same cynical thoughts didn’t we?

@Curr Avon and what was the reaction on FBC when you read this out this morning?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Should have took so and so off

should have brought on A instead of B

C D and E should have been on from the start

and why is F even getting in the team

Wrong to play formation  x when y is much better for this squad

God football management is so so easy with hindsight

Pointless having the forum then, just gives people with a love of their club the opportunity to discuss what they’ve watched.

1 hour ago, Bedminster said:

Has he shown anything in those 18 games to suggest he’s good enough? Not for me. 

What’s your opinion on Mehmeti ?

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

Totally agree about Memehti who was getting at Dunne.  In essence, with Mebude & Cornick as our wide men we were playing with 9 as both had afternoons to forget. Dunne was terrible but rather annoyingly, he won 3 x 50/50 tackles in a row due to us not fancying it which is unforgivable.

Personally I thought the only time Dunne had real trouble was against the pace of Bell.

After Bell went off the day became considerably easier for Dunne

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomSutton said:

Everyone focusing on subs is ignoring Tanner being dropped for Mcrorie. It massively weakened us defensively and having Mehmeti in front of Mcrorie was a recipe for disaster. Took them about 5 minutes to start arguing.

We're Bristol City not Man City. We don't look better with a right back who pushes high and leaves big gap to his centre half.  We need solidity and should play from there.  

Mcrorie needs to be sub so he can add something late on in games like he did v Southampton.  Manning created a situation for himself with the original selection.

He needs to learn from it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So basically they embellished a story to give a false impression of what happened, and make it sound like a real coup.  It might be a real coup, but not for the reasons they gave.  Basically he just didn’t play very well at Westerlo.  There is just no need for bullshit.

We had the same cynical thoughts didn’t we?

@Curr Avon and what was the reaction on FBC when you read this out this morning?

I actually think he read it out last week @Davefevs  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Mehmeti was just starting to cause them problems and we were getting on top when the triple change was made. LM should have seen this and told the 3 subs to sit down to see how the next 5/10 mins played out, imo.

The subs killed us at a time when we were on top.

Agree, Williams had to come off (he’d already lost his rag with Andersen once & I’m pretty convinced he elbowed him off the ball) & none of us knew the logical replacement TGH was going to be so poor, but the others made no sense.

Mehmeti is frustrating but I actually thought he improved after Bell went off & he (eventually) switched to the left.

As for those saying it was hindsight I said at the time it was incredibly brave/mad to give Mebude 32 minutes & so it proved.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedminster said:

How did he do yesterday? It was his 4th goal contribution in 46 appearances. 

I don't think goal contributions are the only part of his game to concentrate on . When he has come on in games we are winning or in a decent position, he has been great at running and chasing and being a nuisance , the ugly side of the game . I'd say yesterday he was no worse than anyone else , looked a little lost on the left, but later he was busy. I would have taken him off to put Sykes in his normal role , but that was more for shape or balance than anything wrong with HC's game.

39 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Does bringing Medube in on-loan suggest that our recrutiment policy is based on quality rather than quantity?

With regard to the option to buy, based on yesterday's showing it's . . . bye !

I think it's far too early to give up on him, just like when I have seen posts saying what a good debut he had. 11 minutes isn't long enough to judge. 
At least lets see him for a full game before we build a statue or burn him at the steak ( see also stake).

Edited by 1960maaan