IGNORED

Mbude.

pillred

Just now, Super said:

Here we go again. I'm guessing you had this post ready for when we lost again.

If that was the case I'd have posted this on Saturday at 5pm mate. 

Try and defend all that happened on Saturday mate? It was a pathetic performance and Mannings in game management was clueless. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If that was the case I'd have posted this on Saturday at 5pm mate. 

Try and defend all that happened on Saturday mate? It was a pathetic performance and Mannings in game management was clueless. 

I said exactly that in the matchday thread.

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Was it city 0 wolves 6 in bennys first game, the wolfie game? Or had we just got smashed away at bradford, can’t remember which one was his first!

Benny was well ahead of his time. 

Did he come in here as Director of Football? When that was unheard of in the English game at the time? 

Would probably have done well to have kept him here. 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tbf we were crap! 

His ideas about football were ahead of its time and that's why I think we would have done well to have kept him around. Especially considering what then followed! 

We spent all the money on forwards then bought carl hutchings to run the midfield as far as i remember!

im not sure benny really had any success anywhere after us, certainly not in a mainstream european league, funny how we all remember things?!

Just now, Simon bristol said:

We spent all the money on forwards then bought carl hutchings to run the midfield as far as i remember!

im not sure benny really had any success anywhere after us, certainly not in a mainstream european league, funny how we all remember things?!

I’ll say the same thing I always say when Benny comes up. He was never brought into be manager and only had to do so when Ward threw his toys out of the pram, having asked for help then not liking the help given as he wanted Ray Harford.

The recruitment in the summer prior was poor. Replacing an injured Shaun Taylor with Julian Watts being notable, and we didn’t need to sign all three of Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Andersen. That was under Ward, but common consensus is Scott Davison signed Thorpe even though he wasn’t needed.

Bennys job that he was recruited for was to reshape the club outside the first team. And he did that - that batch of Matt Hill, Aaron Brown etc were a batch that came through with the work Benny did.

And after leaving us far from no success he took over Viking and led them to top three finishes in the league and a cup win - signing Ben Wright from city and knocking Chelsea out of the UEFA cup.

Benny was a damn good football man misused by the club. And bizarrely he was taking us forward with a pathway (remember that) to the first team snd we threw that away for Pulis.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

Mbude's performance against QPR was embarrassingly mbade.

So far, he doesn't look worth anywhere near the fee quoted.

I believe there are several better players available out there for considerably less money.

Something is definitely wrong with our scouting and assessment set-up if Mbude was the best propect identified.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ll say the same thing I always say when Benny comes up. He was never brought into be manager and only had to do so when Ward threw his toys out of the pram, having asked for help then not liking the help given as he wanted Ray Harford.

The recruitment in the summer prior was poor. Replacing an injured Shaun Taylor with Julian Watts being notable, and we didn’t need to sign all three of Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Andersen. That was under Ward, but common consensus is Scott Davison signed Thorpe even though he wasn’t needed.

Bennys job that he was recruited for was to reshape the club outside the first team. And he did that - that batch of Matt Hill, Aaron Brown etc were a batch that came through with the work Benny did.

And after leaving us far from no success he took over Viking and led them to top three finishes in the league and a cup win - signing Ben Wright from city and knocking Chelsea out of the UEFA cup.

Benny was a damn good football man misused by the club. And bizarrely he was taking us forward with a pathway (remember that) to the first team snd we threw that away for Pulis.

Yep that's exactly how I remember it. 

I couldn't quite remember the team he took over but I do remember watch a European game on TV. Completely forgot about Ben Wright til you mentioned his name. 

Should have kept Benny around in the role he was brought in to do. Instead it would take us many years for us to get back to that sort of set up and having that pathway. 

• Like 1

Some of the comments on here about Mbude are utterly ridiculous 😂

The lads played about 45 minutes over two games, he’s on loan and if it doesn’t work out then no harm done

We’ve all been crying out for decent loans since Tammy and some work out and some don’t.

I’m more concerned about the players we have under contract who aren’t good enough that we just can’t shift on as easily as not signing a loan player permanently 

He may settle in and we’ll all be raving about him in a couple of games, if he pops up and scores the winner against Cardiff then we’ll all be cheering!

So let’s give the lad a chance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Perhaps we should have gone with ray harford then. Benny had been managing for years in scandinavia, there was no background as a director of football, or any other involvement in english football as far as i know. He had a decent career but matt hill was young and small and like a rabbit in the headlights in those first few games, aaron brown never progressed in the game and that season was a disaster that benny could do nothing to stop.  The only fight we showed under him was against a bloke dressed as a wolf!

as for mabude, the first thing tinnion said when the window ended was that we absolutely definitely are going to be looking for a striker in the summer, what we didnt need was a very young wide player who has barely played a first team game… what they were thinking ive no idea… they are supposed to be working constantly on their targets, so we are told on north korea tv.

Edited by Simon bristol

20 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Perhaps we should have gone with ray harford then. Benny had been managing for years in scandinavia, there was no background as a director of football, or any other involvement in english football as far as i know. He had a decent career but matt hill was young and small and like a rabbit in the headlights in those first few games, aaron brown never progressed in the game and that season was a disaster that benny could do nothing to stop.  The only fight we showed under him was against a bloke dressed as a wolf!

Not altogether my recollection.

The first 5 games were a catastrophe and defensively in particular 3 of them. The damage was done in a large way.

Thereafter we were often more competitive, harder to beat. We also rallied in April when Shaun Taylor returned, we did show some fight

Port Vale 2-0, Portsmouth (A) 1-0 (laat minute winner), Grimsby 4-1 (H)..they scored firdt, twice pegged back Stockport with another last minute equaliser in the case of the 2nd one, 2-2.

Robbed v Birmingham, in April, as we were at West Brom in February and possibly v Sunderland that same month.

We did show fight at certain times. Think 3-2 loss v Bradford who were flying and went up that year, we pegged them back to 2-2.

The Sunderland one I don't remember fully but was a last minute penalty. Think Scott Davidson stormed onto the pitch at the end so I assume was controversial.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I do remember the, we would have been better off with Benny from Crossroads gags :laugh:.

• Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think 3-2 loss v Bradford who were flying and went up that year, we pegged them back to 2-2.

If I'm thinking of the right season, we lost 5-0 at Bradford , the following week was Wolves 1-6 at home . 

2 games I'd rather forget.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

...and so the pattern continues

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If I'm thinking of the right season, we lost 5-0 at Bradford , the following week was Wolves 1-6 at home . 

2 games I'd rather forget.

Yes correct but in the return we pegged them back and then went on a mini run. Albeit not quite enough.

Those were the first 2 games, I'm talking about the return and period slightly beyond.

Benny had a particularly torrid first 2 games, then next 3 slightly less torrid but we were a bit more competitive December to May.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/mar/20/match.sport16

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashton Fete said:

Some of the comments on here about Mbude are utterly ridiculous 😂

The lads played about 45 minutes over two games, he’s on loan and if it doesn’t work out then no harm done

We’ve all been crying out for decent loans since Tammy and some work out and some don’t.

I’m more concerned about the players we have under contract who aren’t good enough that we just can’t shift on as easily as not signing a loan player permanently 

He may settle in and we’ll all be raving about him in a couple of games, if he pops up and scores the winner against Cardiff then we’ll all be cheering!

So let’s give the lad a chance 

Who are these players the club is trying to shift?

41 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

as for mabude, the first thing tinnion said when the window ended was that we absolutely definitely are going to be looking for a striker in the summer, what we didnt need was a very young wide player who has barely played a first team game… what they were thinking ive no idea… they are supposed to be working constantly on their targets, so we are told on north korea tv.

Aaron Brown had a decent career as I recall?

1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

Who are these players the club is trying to shift?

It was more the broad point that every manager has players in the squad they want to move on but it’s not that easy when under contract etc.  I’m not on the inside so no idea who the club will be open to offers on but there obviously will be 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes correct but in the return we pegged them back and then went on a mini run. Albeit not quite enough.

Those were the first 2 games, I'm talking about the return and period slightly beyond.

Benny had a particularly torrid first 2 games, then next 3 slightly less torrid but we were a bit more competitive December to May.

I liked the spirit in those final months trying to stay up, think I recall a win at home with Jim Brennan flying down the left side and Ade Akinbyi grabbing a couple..Norwich perhaps 

7 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

I liked the spirit in those final months trying to stay up, think I recall a win at home with Jim Brennan flying down the left side and Ade Akinbyi grabbing a couple..Norwich perhaps 

Norwich was a dead rubber tbh, but the only goal for Pinamonte.

Final day, we were already down. 4 wins and 13 pts from the last 9 was quite good but sadly not enough...

...The Birmingham game was quite feisty, Mike Dean.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/apr/25/match.sport5

Trevor Francis claimed there were aggressive sentiments when they came down the tunnel.

Surely not. Tunnel by the Atyeo? Surely not.

Screenshot_20240219-191840_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e73b677b89a6bba04c2fae50a2dfe3f1.jpg

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/mar/20/match.sport16

That game was interesting , I remember getting back to 2-2 and they just went ....
Yeah OK , time to score again. They looked a class above and seemed to have another 2/3 more gears.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That game was interesting , I remember getting back to 2-2 and they just went ....
Yeah OK , time to score again. They looked a class above and seemed to have another 2/3 more gears.

Yeah I'm sure they were better overall, I have vague recollections of it all, some games more than others as it was my first half-season or so.

• Like 1