IGNORED

Never in the field of human conflict...

Red Cloud

I thought I'd resurrect this thread (I could have chosen many others) just to illustrate how much our collective mood can change in the course of just two games.

I don't want to come across too happy clappy, as yesterday was bad.  But .....

• football is a often game of very fine margins, and that includes many of our matches.  I think we've played 23 games in all competitions under LM and only 3 have been decided by more than one goal (our wins over Watford & Southamption, and defeat to Preston); and
  • it's easy to look at the league table and think that victories over Boro and Southampton (plus West Ham and holding Forest over 210 mins) make us world beaters, and then defeats to QPR and Wednesday make us relegation candidates.  But over the last 5 games, QPR and Wednesday have actually picked up more points than either Boro or Southampton (others can hunt around for other form tables if they want - I just chose 5 games because my goto league table - the BBC's - also shows form over the last 5 games).

My conclusion is that things might not be quite as bad as they seem right now, just as they probably weren't quite as good as they might have seemed after the Southampton match.  Boring, I know ....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2

3 minutes ago, red panda said:

I thought I'd resurrect this thread (I could have chosen many others) just to illustrate how much our collective mood can change in the course of just two games.

• football is a often game of very fine margins, and that includes many of our matches.  I think we've played 23 games in all competitions under LM and only 3 have been decided by more than one goal (our wins over Watford & Southamption, and defeat to Preston); and
  • it's easy to look at the league table and think that victories over Boro and Southampton (plus West Ham and holding Forest over 210 mins) make us world beaters, and then defeats to QPR and Wednesday make us relegation candidates.  But over the last 5 games, QPR and Wednesday have actually picked up more points than either Boro or Southampton (others can hunt around for other form tables if they want - I just chose 5 games because my goto league table - the BBC's - also shows form over the last 5 games).

My conclusion is that things might not be quite as bad as they seem right now, just as they probably weren't quite as good as they might have seemed after the Southampton match.  Boring, I know ....

How many of those 23 matches have been an enjoyable watch, let alone entertaining.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, red panda said:

This is, imo, not the point.  It is that Manning is out of his depth in terms of man management and tactics.  That will only change when Manning goes.  It is so depressing that the Lansdowns never learn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

This is, imo, not the point.  It is that Manning is out of his depth in terms of man management and tactics.  That will only change when Manning goes.  It is so depressing that the Lansdowns never learn

Exactly. 

But things will always come back to this until the Lansdowns go. 

Hate is such a strong word, so I will use an alternative. 

I detest them now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, red panda said:

Can’t like this enough

17 minutes ago, Big C said:

So you haven't enjoyed Hull, Middlesbrough twice, Southampton, Watford and Coventry away?

Yes of course but you said “more [enjoyable] than under Pearson”. I enjoyed some games under Pearson, some under Manning. Preferred football under Pearson and felt it was slowly coming together. 
You’ll also have read that I said that I respected your opinion…. By definition this is about personal preference. 

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Yes of course but you said “more [enjoyable] than under Pearson”. I enjoyed some games under Pearson, some under Manning. Preferred football under Pearson and felt it was slowly coming together. 
You’ll also have read that I said that I respected your opinion…. By definition this is about personal preference. 

The only game I've enjoyed under Nige this season was Plymouth and possibly Swansea away 

20 minutes ago, Big C said:

The only game I've enjoyed under Nige this season was Plymouth and possibly Swansea away 

It’s tiresome when Nige becomes part of any debate  - he’s gone - move on and get over it.

We’ve now got Manning who, it’s fair to say hasn’t exactly impressed anyone or improved things but like all managers he needs time to implement his methods so let’s try and get behind him.

We all know that this season is pretty much over and we can only hope that this summer he can offload any deadwood and recruit the type of players that he wants and get to work a full preseason with next seasons squad.

• Like 4

Fact of the matter is - with the players we have available, Manning's style of play and lack of plan B doesn't make sense for this squad.

More the fact I do not believe a few players leaving and coming in are going to fix everything. His style of play only works when your players are (tehcnically) better than the oppositions - similar to So'ton - a style which it should be noted can be very easily found out at this level as long as you have a fit and fast team capable of closing them out of a game.

We lack the creativity needed across the pitch to make such a thing work, so we should be focusing on the margins. Being able to mix it up, channels, transition, set pieces.

All of the above are what NP was trying to implement, sure it wasn't pretty - he was cucked with the sale of Scott without adequate replacements or reinvestment into the midfield, and an (impact) injury crisis that culminated in a loss at Cardiff where Cornick was up front, a green Joseph James at right-back for his debut, and Sykes at left-back. The hierarchy who had cause.  said circumstances then sacked him.

Luton showed the blueprint, you don't need creativity as long as the opposition makes mistakes and you can take advantage.

Sadly the only part the leadership seem to have realised is you can do it on the cheap - which isn't what they should have taken away from it.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, red panda said:

How dare you come on here with your sense of perspective and proportion? 😏

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fuber said:

Plymouth, Swansea, Hull (a), Millwall.

More, in the league, than under Manning.

Thought first half v West Brom at Home was excellent too tbh, we put them under some significant pressure.

More the spirit with injuries mounting 8 becoming 9 and 10 in game but our late rally v Ipswich...fine margins etc, Cornick but the width of a post. Last half hour was very good...save for the lack of a goal.