IGNORED

The French Alps

SecretSam

The Mrs is French and from that side of the country so have spent a few holidays in and around the Alps, Haut-Savoie etc.

Last summer we were had the opportunity to stay at her cousins chalet in Megeve, which we would never be able to afford to do ourselves. It's a very pretty little town and one of the most exclusive ski resorts in the world in season. It can be a bit pricey even in the summer but you can find reasonable places to eat and drink. It's quite the experience just sat drinking a cold beer watching the super rich do their thing. Every other car is a super car it seems!

We day tripped from there to Chamonix, not for the town, it's nothing special, but to go up the Aiguille du Midi. That was stunning and something i would recommend to anyone that gets the chance, unless of course you are terrified of heights.

Annecy is lovely and is cycle friendly. Quite a few routes you can cycle to from there.

If you want a more off road experience then the Sixt fer a Cheval is a stunning place to hike or cycle.

Parc de Merlet is a nice day out. At altitude opposite the Mont Blanc massif, it's a wildlife park but with native alpine species and some stunning views.

Spent some time in the Jura mountains as well. It's sub-alpine so not so high but that might make it a little more cycle friendly but lets face it, there will be plenty hills to climb wherever you go in that part of the world. Not quite Alpe d'Huez on Le Tour but still going to have to earn those views and a rewarding dinner and drinks in the evening.

Let me know if you want any more info about the above and have a great trip, it's a beautiful part of the world.

• Like 5

I've only been there to ski, but the Val 'dArly just a bit further on from Megeve is pretty and full of small family run cafes and restaurants.  We stayed in Notre-Dame de Bellecombe, which was really nice - and had views of Mont Blanc without the international glitterati gliding past and pushing up prices. Annecy as @Gazred says is well worth a visit. Pop over the border to spend a day in Geneva. It was a beautiful place, though the coldest I've ever been on holiday - and I've been to Iceland. If you're in the south, visit Grenoble and take its cable cars (which run all year round) up to its hilltop fortress. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Many years ago, my wife and I went to the Côte d’Azur for a month in late May.

We took a short break from the heat and drove to Tignes for two days skiing on the glacier.

I used to do summer race training on the Tignes glacier. Great fun and got to rub shoulders with all the World Cup skiers. 

I think Isola 2000 is the nearest resort to the Cote dAzure.

Hope you enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I used to do summer race training on the Tignes glacier. Great fun and got to rub shoulders with all the World Cup skiers. 

I think Isola 2000 is the nearest resort to the Cote dAzure.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Quiet possibly, although it is a fairly small and boring resort, and I am pretty sure it is not open in May!

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Quiet possibly, although it is a fairly small and boring resort, and I am pretty sure it is not open in May!

I like Isola 2000, very French, hardly any Brits at all. Smallish little complex with a half decent restaurant and a couple or bars (one busy and one dead). Good fun when I went. Pas De La Casa in Andorra was Messy mind… when I visited a few times. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That's true... definitely not in May. 

I know it was a ' thing' when conditions were right, to ski in the morning in Isola 2000 then be sunbathing and enjoying an evening drink in Nice on the same day. 

May is a beautiful month in the mountains when the sun is shining, especially if you enjoy flora and fauna. It can be a very showery month though and those can be of a wintry nature, especially on the high ground. Although having said that weather patterns in the world are so mad, who knows?

Depending how the winter season finishes there could still be a lot of snow on the mountain paths, this can add to the beauty of the stunning vistas but may hinder you on your bike in places. 

Anyway, I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it. There are few things better for your physical and mental health than time spent in the mountains. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 11:39, SecretSam said:

So, lots of skiers here! I'm off to Bourg d'Oisans, BTW (near Alpe d'Huez)

My mate from Nailsea has just returned after a week and said it was fab so enjoy.

• Like 1