IGNORED

50 years ago (Leeds), 30 years ago (Tinns), 40 years ago?

46 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

So years ending in a 4.

1894- founded.

1904- our reserves enter the western league an win div 2 as champions. (Initially put div 1 because was thinking of top div as western prem, but don't think that was the term then)

1914- nothing

1924- relegated from 2nd tier

1934- Welsh cup winners

1944- football suspended

1954- nothing

1964- nothing

1974- Leeds win

1984- Div 4 promotion

1994- Liverpool win

2004- lost playoff final

2014- nothing

2024?

Ah but 54/55 was a promo season and the results for the first half of that season (Autumn 54) were quite good.

P25 W16 D6 L3 F43 A 19. 9 clean sheets.

As for 53-54 City were 3rd W36, D 10 L5 F88 A66

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

Ah but 54/55 was a promo season and the results for the first half of that season (Autumn 54) were quite good.

P25 W16 D6 L3 F43 A 19. 9 clean sheets.

As for 53-54 City were 3rd W36, D 10 L5 F88 A66

I think 64-65 was one too. But I was sticking to seasons that ended in a 4, as I believe that's what the cup wins were too.

Equally 2014-15 ended up with the 3rd tier double.

12 hours ago, Calculus said:

Sorry to drag this back. What exactly was the Nolan sister Incident?

One of the Nolan sisters was the missus of Torquay manager Bruce "I predict a" Rioch. Torquay played their matches on Saturday evenings so everyone was a bit, er, tired and emotional - some had been hard at it from the Friday afternoon/evening; some got a bit carried away (ie in a boat) - by the final whistle and not best pleased with another ropey away effort from TC and the boys. In the absence of any local firm to take it out on the unfortunate Mrs Rioch took the brunt as she escaped the ground in a car and we poured out into the Torquay night. The car's suspension and shock absorbers were given a thorough examination, shall we say. It was in the national tabloids the following Monday. City would be in the local and national papers quite a bit back then for this sort of thing (not roughing up members of girl groups, just generally behaving appallingly at games).

Not big, not clever; but 40 years on, quite funny. If I was writing a Bristol City "hoolie" book, that would be a centrepiece: we took it to one fifth of the Nolans.

(Must've been pretty terrifying for Mrs Rioch, really shouldn't laugh about it, but always makes me chuckle. Hope she's ok).

18 hours ago, transfer reader said:

So years ending in a 4.

1894- founded.

1904- our reserves enter the western league an win div 2 as champions. (Initially put div 1 because was thinking of top div as western prem, but don't think that was the term then)

1914- nothing

1924- relegated from 2nd tier

1934- Welsh cup winners

1944- football suspended

1954- nothing

1964- nothing

1974- Leeds win

1984- Div 4 promotion

1994- Liverpool win

2004- lost playoff final

2014- nothing

2024?

Knowing City, loose at Stoke on the last day to miss out on the play-offs on goal difference 

20 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

One of the Nolan sisters was the missus of Torquay manager Bruce "I predict a" Rioch. Torquay played their matches on Saturday evenings so everyone was a bit, er, tired and emotional - some had been hard at it from the Friday afternoon/evening; some got a bit carried away (ie in a boat) - by the final whistle and not best pleased with another ropey away effort from TC and the boys. In the absence of any local firm to take it out on the unfortunate Mrs Rioch took the brunt as she escaped the ground in a car and we poured out into the Torquay night. The car's suspension and shock absorbers were given a thorough examination, shall we say. It was in the national tabloids the following Monday. City would be in the local and national papers quite a bit back then for this sort of thing (not roughing up members of girl groups, just generally behaving appallingly at games).

Not big, not clever; but 40 years on, quite funny. If I was writing a Bristol City "hoolie" book, that would be a centrepiece: we took it to one fifth of the Nolans.

(Must've been pretty terrifying for Mrs Rioch, really shouldn't laugh about it, but always makes me chuckle. Hope she's ok).

It was funny at the time the look on her face looking upwards in this mini ? but she came out of a turning and was pushing into the supporters walking past. So car was turned.

As for the boat sinking in 3 feet of water and one of the lads (rest in peace) screaming help, until he realised he could stand up. loads of City in the harbour bars crying with laughter.