IGNORED

Haydon Roberts - Press Interview

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

As I said in a few posts since Forest, I’m really pleased he’s come into the team and shown what he can do.  Pre-season he looked good.

I like his attitude too.

His combination work with Mehmeti was brilliant in pre-season if I remember correctly, and he shined in the Oxford game. What a luxury to have two players of his and Pringys calibre in the same position! 

Think we are slowly starting to see this competition for places culture take affect, I was worried that we’d completely burn out second half v Southampton due to the amount we played recently. Was pleasantly surprised that we just kept improving as the game went on! 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As I said in a few posts since Forest, I’m really pleased he’s come into the team and shown what he can do.  Pre-season he looked good.

I like his attitude too.

I thought those early games he showed he would really Challenge Pring.  He is probably a bit better in the final 3rd than Cam , but Pring's pace and defending are great assets. I really think it's good they will be , not only pushing each other, but for rotation or even playing in tandem. 

I was talking to a mate before the game, we have had some odd injuries but his was up there.
Didn't go down to be carried off, didn't ask to go off but Pearson said he saw him limp so pulled him. Then he's out for months , strange indeed .

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I was talking to a mate before the game, we have had some odd injuries but his was up there.
Didn't go down to be carried off, didn't ask to go off but Pearson said he saw him limp so pulled him. Then he's out for months , strange indeed .

Was that the Ipswich game?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's not hanging around if the Prem comes knocking though is he! I don't blame him but he makes it pretty clear that he wants to play up there, and sees that we play young players and he wants a bit of that.

Agreed, im pleased hes back and has had a few good games, but im not particularly impressed with that attitude, or they way he speaks. hes had 2 championship games in his career as far as i know, he seems to be of the opinion hes the next roberto carlos. Pring paid his dues for years, vyner has too, they have had loans all over the country and had to wait to get a place in the first team. Some humility might be nice.

31 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Was that the Ipswich game?

Yep , just looked . On in 66th off in the 86th.

54 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's not hanging around if the Prem comes knocking though is he! I don't blame him but he makes it pretty clear that he wants to play up there, and sees that we play young players and he wants a bit of that.

The reputation means we will attract good young players, but they've seen what's possible and will be ambitious for a big move .
Swings and Roundabouts of this system I guess, with luck they can take the Club with them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, James54De said:

Would we be comfortable going into next season with him as our first choice left back? It’s not only possible, but verging on the likely.

Yeah I think one of two things are likely; Pring is sold and Roberts has a chance to make LB his own... or Pring stays and Roberts goes. I don't think there's room in this town for both those cowboys...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I like his attitude too.

I’m not sold on his attitude. He’s not been here long, but wants out.

Ambition? Maybe.

But as others have suggested, he played, was very poor, got pulled, then mysteriously injured.

For me, there’s something not quite right. But then, he was excellent on Tuesday.

I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt - he’s confident in his ability and felt he was good enough to play. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. But…

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Scrumpty said:

Ambition? Maybe.

But as others have suggested, he played, was very poor, got pulled, then mysteriously injured.

For me, there’s something not quite right. But then, he was excellent on Tuesday.

I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt - he’s confident in his ability and felt he was good enough to play. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. But…

I did get that vibe too

2 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Ambition? Maybe.

Did he not do his homework before he joined here? Did he not realise he'd be back up to Pring? Did he not have conversations with the club about his role here prior to signing? It just all seems a bit weird. 

Maybe the club expected Pring to leave in the summer? And said that to Roberts? 

His attitude is going to have to be managed very carefully to avoid disrupting the squad. 

He's had a good grounding at Brighton. Its pretty obvious he wants to play in the Premier League,he's come from there! A little bit "left field" but nothing phases him. He is a very good player. It's up to the coach to manage his expectations 

Can't believe the negative comments about attitude because a professional footballer wants to go play games and doesn't just want to wait for city to provide those games. He clearly saw the form Prings been in and after missing time with injury wanted to play in anyway possible.

Seems like a driven player and that's exactly what we need at this club. Just because he didn't say the typical 'loved every minute of it here so far' and all the typical footballer responses doesn't mean he doesn't care. I actually prefer his honesty it's quite refreshing.

I remember watching clips before he joined and could see the quality he has. Was really optimistic on his progress this season. I'm happy he's getting his chance to shine. It will be a difficult time with Prings return. Perhaps as others have said maybe Roberts LB and Pring LM would be a good option in a 442 for some games.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Can't believe the negative comments about attitude because a professional footballer wants to go play games and doesn't just want to wait for city to provide those games. He clearly saw the form Prings been in and after missing time with injury wanted to play in anyway possible.

Seems like a driven player and that's exactly what we need at this club. Just because he didn't say the typical 'loved every minute of it here so far' and all the typical footballer responses doesn't mean he doesn't care. I actually prefer his honesty it's quite refreshing.

I remember watching clips before he joined and could see the quality he has. Was really optimistic on his progress this season. I'm happy he's getting his chance to shine. It will be a difficult time with Prings return. Perhaps as others have said maybe Roberts LB and Pring LM would be a good option in a 442 for some games.

I agree, better than wanting a “cosy” life in BS3.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

To clarify, I wasn't trying to be negative when I said it's clear he would move to the PL in a heartbeat. If it means he works his arse off here to play well enough to get that move (or promotion for us) then great.

On reflection it's actually quite refreshing to have that honesty rather than meaningless thin platitudes about how much he loves City. 

It's an attitude, but not necessarily a bad one.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I like his attitude too.

Controversial I know...but I actually think he offers better distribution on the left, into the box and link up, than Pring. 

Both defensively good, but Roberts edges it offensively for me in our system. 

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Controversial I know...but I actually think he offers better distribution on the left, into the box and link up, than Pring. 

Both defensively good, but Roberts edges it offensively for me in our system. 

It’s the comparison of power and pace versus technical and subtlety isn’t it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's exactly how I see it, & my gut feel is that LM prefers the latter as it gives greater "control". 

Just happy to have 2 decent options for either full back position really. Was really impressed with McC's cut back for the 3rd goal. It feels like we often get into good positions but rarely play the right final pass so to see that was great.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

On reflection it's actually quite refreshing to have that honesty rather than meaningless thin platitudes about how much he loves City

It's an attitude, but not necessarily a bad one.

Digressing slightly, but I smile sometimes when I think of Rovers' new owner claiming that he had always wanted to purchase an English football club, and that Rovers were the perfect fit because of their rich history and wonderful fanbase.

I mean, there is positive spin and then there is complete nonsense.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought that before Tuesday night, but there was that one run where he shrugged off the defenders challenge in the 2nd half that got me thinking he's stronger than he looks.

I thought he came across well in all honesty, but I’ve got no issue with having ambitious players here who want to achieve something. 

If he develops, and I suspect he will, he will either be sold for a decent profit as we signed him on a free or we will be kicking on as a club. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

14 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah I think one of two things are likely; Pring is sold and Roberts has a chance to make LB his own... or Pring stays and Roberts goes. I don't think there's room in this town for both those cowboys...

Not so sure about that, Roberts seems he think of himself as an all round footballer and while he's content to develop as a left back at City he sees himself at least equally at home at CB or midfield where he played the majority of games at youth level before going to Derby.

14 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Agreed, im pleased hes back and has had a few good games, but im not particularly impressed with that attitude, or they way he speaks. hes had 2 championship games in his career as far as i know, he seems to be of the opinion hes the next roberto carlos. Pring paid his dues for years, vyner has too, they have had loans all over the country and had to wait to get a place in the first team. Some humility might be nice.

It's very likely that Pring and Vyner were nowhere near as good as Roberts - who has been capped 19 times at England youth level - at this age. 

As long as Roberts follows up his confident attitude with similarly assured appearances on the pitch it's all good afaic.

It does very much appear as if he sees City as a stepping stone but he'll have to perform consistently very well to get a move to a higher club, so we're all winners in that scenario.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Other way around for me.

Yeah fair. I guess as others have discussed it's whether you'd want pace and power vs technique and control in the final third. I think I could see both playing in either position and compliment each other fine.

• Like 1