IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers at home match thread

I don't think the ref helped yesterday.he let qpr leave a bit extra  in on several of thier challenges to a point where we had players bottling challenges. He also didn't do anything to control the time wasting. It reminded me of us vs west ham.

Until we learn to deal with physical sides where they press and harass us to stop our game plan we will be a mid table team. It OK the club wanting us to play a certain way but we need to be able to adapt to these situations. 

While we can speculate a bit of tiredness contributed to the total lack of intensity yesterday, you have to be super-optimistic to think those tactics are going to work against teams who come to contain us.

To be fair to QPR, they were so comfortable in the second half that they started to push on more for a second.  We totally failed to respond to that and try and counter.  Even when we were defending corners we brought everyone back, so where was the chance of a quick break?

That for me was negative tactics, not fatigue.

• Like 2

Pleased to see many of the recently-missing fans back in the South Stand, around me yesterday. Full of hope and optimism, cracking jokes and catching up with their City mates.

However, towards the end of that abject, inexcusably dire performance, most had deserted the shinking ship early, looking miserable and bad-tempered.

It was clear, from what was heard, that they won't be back anytime soon (and who can blame them?).

The club doesn't do itself any favours.

A golden opportunity to play open, entertaining, attacking football agsainst a struggling, mediocre side, to lure more fans back and generate demand for next season tickets.

But hell no !

As usual, all we got, was an absolute pile of shite.

Front foot shitball.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

While we can speculate a bit of tiredness contributed to the total lack of intensity yesterday, you have to be super-optimistic to think those tactics are going to work against teams who come to contain us.

To be fair to QPR, they were so comfortable in the second half that they started to push on more for a second.  We totally failed to respond to that and try and counter.  Even when we were defending corners we brought everyone back, so where was the chance of a quick break?

That for me was negative tactics, not fatigue.

We always bring everyone back for corners ! I might be old fashioned but leave a man up which then forces the opposition to leave a couple of players back.

As it is now the opposition are able to push everyone up, have a couple of players edge of the box to pick up loose balls and the keeper can push up to the half way line.

3 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Please to see many of the recently-missing fans back in the South Stand, around me yesterday. Full of hope and optimism, cracking jokes and catching up with their City mates.

However, towards the end of that abject, inexcusably dire performance, most had deserted the shinking ship early, looking miserable and bad-tempered.

It was clear, from what was heard, that they won't be back anytime soon (and who can blame them?).

A golden opportunity to play open, entertaining, attacking football agsainst a struggling, mediocre side, to lure more fans back and generate demand for next season tickets.

But hell no !

Front foot shitball.

Please to see many of the recently-missing fans back in the South Stand, around me yesterday. Full of hope and optimism, cracking jokes and catching up with their City mates.

But hell no !

Front foot shitball.

But hell no !

Front foot shitball.

But hell no !

Front foot shitball.

Goodness me, you clearly feel very strongly about this 😂

4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

We always bring everyone back for corners ! I might be old fashioned but leave a man up which then forces the opposition to leave a couple of players back.

As it is now the opposition are able to push everyone up, have a couple of players edge of the box to pick up loose balls and the keeper can push up to the half way line.

When blue cards get introduced. I think you'll see a lot of teams leaving 3 up.

They'll want to give even more meaning to those cynical stop the counter fouls

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

We do usually but I’m pretty sure there were a few occasions against Southampton that we left someone higher up for a quick break.

It just seems to indicate a lack of enterprise on our part, with throw in’s and free kicks far more likely to go sideways or backwards and rarely troubling the opposition.

Another of those ‘small margins’ we fail to turn in our favour.

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

We do usually but I’m pretty sure there were a few occasions against Southampton that we left someone higher up for a quick break.

It just seems to indicate a lack of enterprise on our part, with throw in’s and free kicks far more likely to go sideways or backwards and rarely troubling the opposition.

Seems to be one of the new coaching fads of modern football.

Very few teams I’ve seen this season leave a player up.

As you mentioned throw ins, yet again ours were atrocious yesterday !

But thats a topic that’s already been discussed in detail 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Manning said they worked on throws for 15 minutes in the build up to Southampton . 
I know the games have been thick and fast and most of the time between games would have been recuperation, but I would have thought they could have they could have done some classroom talk throughs . 
Anyway , they have 2 weeks with one game , so some decent training ground time and I hope to see improvement on throw ins apart from anything else , that 11 men back for corners bugs me.

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Manning said they worked on throws for 15 minutes in the build up to Southampton . 
I know the games have been thick and fast and most of the time between games would have been recuperation, but I would have thought they could have they could have done some classroom talk throughs . 
Anyway , they have 2 weeks with one game , so some decent training ground time and I hope to see improvement on throw ins apart from anything else , that 11 men back for corners bugs me.

Let’s hope they make the most of the time available 🤞

In the end though, it isn’t rocket science we’re talking about and you’d hope that by the time footballers reach Championship level and a fair few grand a week in wages, they’d have a basic grasp of how to make a meaningful effort at throw in routines.  

It really makes you wonder about what actually goes on during their coaching sessions!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Let’s hope they make the most of the time available 🤞

In the end though, it isn’t rocket science we’re talking about and you’d hope that by the time footballers reach Championship level and a fair few grand a week in wages, they’d have a basic grasp of how to make a meaningful effort at throw in routines.  

It really makes you wonder about what actually goes on during their coaching sessions!

Don't put this on Manning - our throw ins have been terrible since NP. Under NP last season I think I counted something like 15 consecutive throw ins that went backward one match. It should be fundamental - no one should have to teach a professional footballer how to take a throw in. This is something that was ingrained under the previous regime, and seemingly not challenged. Anyway, they might be cr@p, but at least we put a few in the right direction yesterday. Which is more than some matches this season.

9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Don't put this on Manning - our throw ins have been terrible since NP. Under NP last season I think I counted something like 15 consecutive throw ins that went backward one match. It should be fundamental - no one should have to teach a professional footballer how to take a throw in. This is something that was ingrained under the previous regime, and seemingly not challenged. Anyway, they might be cr@p, but at least we put a few in the right direction yesterday. Which is more than some matches this season.

Yes this definitely isn’t a new phenomenon.

we did indeed go forwards on occasion yesterday but sadly it usually ended in an uncontested header for a QPR player to send back towards our goal

20 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Oh you’re right, this throw in shit has been going on for years, much like crap corner kick routines and piss poor free kicks.

This certainly isn’t on Manning, but it seems whoever comes in, nobody gets to the root of the problems and it just continues, regardless of the players and coaches we have at the club.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Oh you’re right, this throw in shit has been going on for years, much like crap corner kick routines and piss poor free kicks.

This certainly isn’t on Manning, but it seems whoever comes in, nobody gets to the root of the problems and it just continues, regardless of the players and coaches we have at the club.

That's why for me it was so refreshing to see Twine, even if it was only for one match. It really made me realise how predictable and stale our fk and corner routines are.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, RedM said:

That's why for me it was so refreshing to see Twine, even if it was only for one match. It really made me realise how predictable and stale our fk and corner routines are.

Quite so RedM and for Manning’s sake, I hope the reason he didn’t play Twine yesterday was that he wasn’t quite ready, rather than by choice.  

That free kick by Nakhi just summed up why there’s no point in us getting excited about us winning a fk in a dangerous area!

• Like 1