IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers at home match thread

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Great to bring him on at 3-0 with a few minutes left but Mebude looked like a competition winner today.

Absolutely miles away from the standard, it was like playing with 10 men. 

I honestly would’ve been tempted to have taken him off, if there was much longer to go in the game. Felt sorry for him. Awful decision to bring him on 

• Like 6

Quite how we manage to put in 2 polar opposite peformances within the same week is beyond me.

They looked clueless today. Couldn't even manage the basics right.

I know LM will get and take his share of the responsibility but he'll be as frustrated as any of us having to watch that unfold. Totally piss poor from front to back today.

Max gets a pass and i'd say Conway tried his best from the bench but with nobody around him even on the same page.

Think we'll all appreciate a week off after that.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, tin said:

On paper, that was the strongest XI and bench we’ve had since the LJ era. How the hell that translates to a shocking performance like that, I don’t know. 

Answer: Coaches.  Failed to prepare a proper game plan, failed to change said plan when it didn’t work, failed to get players up for it, failed to take advantage of half time for a successful blasting.

No excuses.  Players available far far better than Nige had.  Sorry but feel Nige would have got more out of them.  They certainly didn’t seem to be playing for current Head Coach.

Hopefully wheels can be put back on the waggon, but it is a very worrying day at the office

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I hope the interviews say to Manning "That was a terrable performance, what did you get wrong. and why does it keep happening."

If he blames the players when it's on his tactics I think a few players won't be happy about it. That loss was on Manning, yes the players looked lacklustre but when you set up wrong it's hard for any player to shine.

• Like 1

Knight wasn't getting anything in the middle so he goes to a 4231/442 with a lopsided right side Sykes getting forward and Conway trying to drop in.

Trying to get the ball wide and get the ball across whilst Mebude had no overlap, and Cornick was too far inside to give Sykes a pass.

Should have kept Mehmeti in the middle for at least an option to pass forward through the centre but the way we set up with no overlapping or creative player in the middle just gave the game to QPR, they could have defended us till next week with those changes.

They got it right today and we got it oh so wrong. Didn't look like creating much after Bell came off, had the beating of his man quite well first half.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Answer: Coaches.  Failed to prepare a proper game plan, failed to change said plan when it didn’t work, failed to get players up for it, failed to take advantage of half time for a successful blasting.

No excuses.  Players available far far better than Nige had.  Sorry but feel Nige would have got more out of them.  They certainly didn’t seem to be playing for current Head Coach.

Hopefully wheels can be put back on the waggon, but it is a very worrying day at the office

First paragraph - absolutely right 

second paragraph- absolutely wrong. Nige football was equally as shit as today . I don’t understand why people keep trying to make out it wasn’t 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I honestly would’ve been tempted to have taken him off, if there was much longer to go in the game. Felt sorry for him. Awful decision to bring him on 

I said at the time I’d have done so when Sykes came on.

Basically jogged by the side of their players for half an hour or miscontrolled the ball or kicked it off the pitch. 

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Great to bring him on at 3-0 with a few minutes left but Mebude looked like a competition winner today.

Absolutely miles away from the standard, it was like playing with 10 men. 

How much are we paying? Have we signed him permanently?

Awful!

I honestly felt we were going to lose this one, we had a brilliant win Tuesday and they lost away narrowly. It's football it happens, add in their recent form and it was better than ours, plus the fact we can't break down teams.

Gutted really but no point in dwelling on it, and looking at the results just two home wins in the Championship  today so plenty others feeling as we do.

But and it's a big BUT...the selection was awful, what was Manning thinking? Perhaps he didn't pay enough respect to QPR well he will learn from that I hope, seeing that starting line up it was going to be turgid and it was.

It's been a tough run of games and fatigue is a factor, the cup run although 'interesting' was damaging, as soon as they scrap replays the better, extra time and pens if needed, finish it.

It was good to dream for four days though that my old club might for once kick on and do something exceptional and win three in a row.

• Like 1

It's quite simple really. 

Nige played to the squad's strengths and made us a really strong counter-attacking team. We even let teams come out and played counter-attack at home. 

We are forced to play to our strengths against teams like Southampton. Against teams that we have to break down, Manning tries to make us dominate possession and it just doesn't ****ing work. 

It's the only tactic that I can see that he's changed since he's been here.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Not surprising but still disappointing. We can appear strong in some matches but the squad has too many weak points to challenge for a playoff spot.

With less iniuries in some moments of the season and a tactical plan B for some games, who knows...

The bench today and starting 11 is the strongest we have had for a few years in terms of age and experience. Maybe only Dire counts as an "academy" type player due to lack of league games. we had no under 21's there today. 

If Dire is ahead of all of our under 21's then the pathway is broken and we must have some crap under 21 players. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Nugget said:

Tony Thorpe’s commentary spot on, dreadful! Kept passing back to the cb’s, try the left, nope, go back, try the right, nope, go back… etc 

That is exactly how James played all game, might as well get Pack back from Pompey if you want a midfielder to play like that

While the criticism about City not being able to break teams down and struggling against teams that sit in is entirely valid it doesn’t actually explain what happened today does it.

We were beaten fair and square by the much better team, and they should have put a few more past us second half.

• Like 2

I think Wells is the worst player on the pitch by far. He seems to get worse every time I see him play. He skies a free kick first half in a good position and he spent the rest of the game pushing the opposition players in the back and moaning to the ref when he gives away a freekick. He's definitely playing out his contract. Time to be dropped. 

• Flames 1