IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers at home match thread

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We are undoubtedly progressing, albeit slowly and you are bound to get good performances with the odd poor performances thrown in.... especially at the end of a mad run of games which we have had.

We need to get the number and regularity of those poor performances reduced and that will happen.

I take the positive view that we have shown in the last 4 or 5 games that we can pay brilliantly and beat anyone on our day - and those type of performances will be repeated going forward....it's the same.players and same coach.

You can take a step back and look at the bigger picture but the standard City sub plot remains the same, we cannot beat teams in the mould of Millwall, Preston, Brum and indeed QPR today. The question has to be asked is it the players, the game plan, the lack of plan B, the usual continuation of plan A but this time with substitutes, or our head coach got tactically outwitted again…

It’s not Manning’s fault that Knight and Williams decide to have games where they can’t pick a pass to a colleague that’s 5 yards away, but he has to take the hit for the game plan and the ability not to make any change that has a positive impact on the game.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

We are undoubtedly progressing, albeit slowly and you are bound to get good performances with the odd poor performances thrown in.... especially at the end of a mad run of games which we have had.

We need to get the number and regularity of those poor performances reduced and that will happen.

I take the positive view that we have shown in the last 4 or 5 games that we can pay brilliantly and beat anyone on our day - and those type of performances will be repeated going forward....it's the same.players and same coach.

Progress????? Where? 

We stole a win at Boro yes, without that we were bottom of the 6 game form table. We played supremely against Southampton, but throw that away when we play like today. I am not sure what progress you have seen in 4 or 5 games, we played well once. I see a very confused team, made worse by not having injury issues and no need to use academy players on the bench. Why are we so poor in so many games? Today required a much better performance with the resources available. The players and coach were collectively sub standard today. We have to hope a week on the training pitch serve up a Southampton type  performance next time out. 

• Like 4

We’re further from the POs now than when LM was appointed, and with far fewer players out injured.

Of course he’ll take time to settle, and at our best under LM we’ve been very good, but that of course means we wrote the season off in October, and can expect to lose our best players in the summer (that’s “the model”).

I normally quite enjoy rollercoasters…!

• Like 1

First of all what follows is mainly a selfish attempt to help me manage my emotions after watching that game. I had to go for a walk with the dogs so I could begin to process what I saw before putting this post together.

Even by our historic and somewhat legendary standards, the contrast in that performance to  those recently is unfathomable. Quite honestly, we looked like a totally different team bereft of any creativity/ideas, unable to string a couple of passes together, allowing QPR to dance through us almost at will etc. etc.

If any City player came out with any credit, it would be Max, who, in my opinion, managed to keep it at one, if we’d lost by three or four, we couldn’t have complained. This against a struggling team. 

We were lacklustre and poor for 90 minutes, never really looking like scoring.

I haven’t read this thread post-match and I haven’t got a clue how we can perform so woefully when compared with recent performances.

Consistency is one of the keys to success, which sadly means, unless LM can find a way of creating a far more consistent team, we are destined to experience more frustrating  City performances.

Hopefully this will help me get some of my reactions off my chest.

• Like 8
32 minutes ago, cellist said:

Spot on.

That bottom half record is really worrying. Not only does it waste the good results against "big teams" but you can't rely on it, because it requires your Middlesbroughs/Southamptons/Leedses to be off their game. Leeds tore us a new one the other day.

We don't have a divine right to beat QPR. If the shoe was on the other foot we'd be saying that to them. But we do expect more than 3 points out of 24 against the bottom half of the league. Can't say for sure that Nige would have done better in this regard but I suspect he would have. We feel like a soft touch again at home.

18 games, 23 points under Liam. No improvement but thats because we are a mid table side. 1.27PPG

5 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Progress????? Where? 

We stole a win at Boro yes, without that we were bottom of the 6 game form table. We played supremely against Southampton, but throw that away when we play like today. I am not sure what progress you have seen in 4 or 5 games, we played well once. I see a very confused team, made worse by not having injury issues and no need to use academy players on the bench. Why are we so poor in so many games? Today required a much better performance with the resources available. The players and coach were collectively sub standard today. We have to hope a week on the training pitch serve up a Southampton type  performance next time out. 

We didn’t “steal” a win at Boro. We deserved it. And before that we more than held outright own at PL Forest. We lost to a Leeds side who are ripping everyone apart at the moment, and before that we got a point - which could easily have been three - at Coventry.

A lot more than one good performance in 6.

We were shit today mind! 

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Out of the mouths of babes.  My 6 year old grandson summed it by saying ‘they tried their best’.  I think that is called damning with faint praise

I’d call it generous!!

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Odd poor performance.

We got 3 points from 18. We were thoroughly awful against Leeds. 

We played well but lost in Nottingham. Got two league wins followed up by what ever the hell that was today. 

Are we progressing? I think there is progression in some areas of play, but not others, however the only individual who I see progressing obviously is OLeary, manly because he is called to save us so often. 

5 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Progress????? Where? 

Yup. Close to how I see it. 

I was chatting to my mate a life long Rangers season ticket holder and I said about how strong our bench looked. Looked was the operative term. 

it didn’t matter what we did it was the same turgid rubbish passing the ball to see it cut out on a dozen occasions, no attacking threat and nearly always second to the second ball. 

Most here want Manning to do well. His success is our success! But I do wish some would stop the gas lighting, I see what you can’t see posts. That was there in front of us today. Utterly dreadful!! Even Manning says so. 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Manning - the lads maybe struggled with the pressure and expectation on them today…

Mmmmm……if anything, I felt that the problem today was that we started off with the attitude that this was going to be a different type of game and one we were going to have to be much more patient in.

Which, to be fair, is what most of us were saying. And I suspect  what what was part of the pre match team discussion.

But it felt almost like we translated that into an ‘all we need to do is be patient’ approach. We were notably more patient than many other games recently when we’ve gone for it from the off. 

I’m not saying we should have gone gung ho - but we could have done with an early goal to spoil the QPR game plan, and we just never looked like wanting that, 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Can’t agree. We’ve seen this kind of performance, or lack of, far too often. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

West Ham, Forest, Middlesbrough, Southampton was progression and they all trump a small setback today.

Thought some of the cheerleaders would be out after the game and you’ve proved me right. 

No problem with taking the positives from those games, but there are plenty of examples where these “setbacks” are alarmingly consistent. It appears that Manning cannot set up his ever-increasing resources to beat dogged defensive teams, nor can he positively affect games where he has been tactically out thought or got his game plan wrong, that’s concerning, and perhaps an example of why coaches don’t necessarily make good managers.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wokingham Red said:

What does Tony Osborne have against Lyndon Dykes 😂😂😂

Dykes was superb today.  Not only did he occupy Dickie and Vyner, he also stopped James and Williams from straying too far from him too, because we never won clean headers, and players like Chair nipped in to claim the loose ball.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dykes was superb today.  Not only did he occupy Dickie and Vyner, he also stopped James and Williams from straying too far from him too, because we never won clean headers, and players like Chair nipped in to claim the loose ball.

I've never seen us collectively lose so many headers in a game before. Even Dickie. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I havent been his biggest fan of late but when Bell went off injured we seemed to run out of ideas and lose our offensive threat. I think Manning got it all wrong from there on in.

Not sure I agree.  The 10 mins or so before they scored, was our best (only?) spell of the game.  Conceded when we were on top.  Their goal, came all the way from their back four, beating our press and exposing us.

Dog sh*t performance today, lacked pace, accuracy, effort and thought…believed the hype/tired/a collective bad day? Who knows! The Quirky Park Wranglers could not believe their luck, got their tails up and went for it, by far the best team in the second half….all I’d say is how sh*te are they only to score one…but fair play they put in the effort and ran the game.

personally I don’t think we’ve gone backwards, just a very bad day at the office for all - except Max

next game will give a better indication

Quite a few said on here that it’d be so Bristol City to lose today after playing well against Boro and Southampton; and here we are!

As poor a City performance as you will see, it was dreadful for almost the entire game against a relegation threatened team who wanted it more than we did. 

The booing at the final whistle was no surprise. As good as the last two games were under Manning we alway feel on the edge of it getting toxic; and indeed it did pretty much after the whistle in the singing section with a few groups arguing with each other and almost coming to blows. 

Edited by One Team
1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

Progress????? Where? 

Individuals can do what they want with this “stat”, but today was the first time since 16th Aug 2022 (beat Luton 2-0) that we’ve not named 5 Academy players in the match day squad.  Last season was of course an 18-player squad.

JKL was out there with the first team pre-match, but not named.

• Like 1