IGNORED

A rest or training this week

Mike Stone

I don’t know what they actually do in training.

I would set up the U21s in a 6-4-0 formation. And tell the first team to play. All day or until they score 10 goals - whichever comes first. And then tell LIam what they learned.

Because right now we have no plan against a team that either sit back or is physical - and that’s about 40% of the games we will play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Stone said:

I haven't got time to go through the stats but i was wondering if big Nige would have had an 11 week spell where they were plaing every 4 days?

We had an intense period after Xmas last year because we had a cup run too.  We also had 4 FAC games before the end of Feb.

And we had a smaller squad, starting players like Kingy and OTC.

LM has had a “squad” over this period.

Just get the eff on with it.

God knows how well cope with the extra 3 play off games 👀

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We had an intense period after Xmas last year because we had a cup run too.  We had 4 FAC games before the end of Feb.

And we had a smaller squad, starting players like Kingy and OTC.

LM has had a “squad” over this period.

Just get the eff on with it.

God knows how well cosenpe with the extra 3 play off games 👀

Well the last sentence has lightened the mood

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CS Red said:

Give them Monday off back in Tuesday.

What I don't get is why Manning thinks there is not enough time on the training ground? It's no different to what other managers have. How does he think they do it?

Or is this a sign of his lack of experience?

I think what is underlying his comment is “it’s not enough time to get them to play exactly as I want them to”, despite the fact he does have just what other managers do in terms of time and games(give it take cup games). 
  I would imagine that’s why NP eventually just got them playing to their strengths and would presumably have worked more on a system once players returned etc. 

I know the teams higher up the table allow us to play a more open game, but the game against Southampton had a flow about it and it felt as though LM was actually allowing the same style of play, playing to player’s strengths, there didn’t seem to be the rigidity of games like yesterday’s. 

5 hours ago, CS Red said:

What I don't get is why Manning thinks there is not enough time on the training ground? It's no different to what other managers have. How does he think they do it?

I would take that to mean he has lacked in time to do 'basic/standard' training and has had to focus on pre match prep as we've had so many Sat/Sun and Tues/Weds/Fri games for the past few weeks.

As we all know 2 Cup replays, extra time etc are all additional. Add into that away travel and that's a day less out of his coaching week. I just think this maybe what he is alluding to?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CS Red said:

He's referring to not enough sessions where it has to be based around recovery or working on specific tactical elements for the next match, while also factoring the level/intensity of training so the players are physically in the right condition for the next game

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

He's referring to not enough sessions where it has to be based around recovery or working on specific tactical elements for the next match, while also factoring the level/intensity of training so the players are physically in the right condition for the next game

Surely working on tactics, style of play, shape etc is the least demanding part of the week.

Heard an ex player a while ago on a pod saying its the most boring part of training as it involves a lot of standing around and waiting for the coach to get round to your part of the pitch / plan.

11 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Surely working on tactics, style of play, shape etc is the least demanding part of the week.

Heard an ex player a while ago on a pod saying its the most boring part of training as it involves a lot of standing around and waiting for the coach to get round to your part of the pitch / plan.

I know the feeling waiting for the 376 😂

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Sounds like poor delivery on the part of the coaching staff for that. Also referring to level of intensity to maintain the level teams will have days where they want to work the group hard and therefore need activities which involves certain types of running, long distance sprints or close quarters enclosed and intense. It was referred to earlier but pre-season is where the majority of tactical work is done and then tweaked through the season. Manning would have been able to do little bits and pieces but not really a block of it like you'd have in pre-season for understanding to become natural. 

Surely the type of fitness and running you refer to is maintained by playing twice a week. Players aren't going to suddenly lose that. In fact you can over do it and that when tired players suffer injuries

I get what you say about tactical work being done in the summer, but Manning needed to get his ideas and tactics across months ago, not months in the future.

He has had 2 blocks where he could have worked on the tactics. International break in November and the week before Forest.

10 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

Twenty games in 81 days has certainly taken its toll and that was the biggest factor in yesterdays poor performance in my opinion.

I hear Liam talk about spending more time with the players on grass during midweek to get his ideas over, this week however i would scrap that idea.

This week i would give them all extra time off to recharge the batteries so they are all fresh and ready for the challenge at Hillsborough on Saturday.

Im sure a week of getting your ideas over can wait.

On the grass tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

Twenty games in 81 days has certainly taken its toll and that was the biggest factor in yesterdays poor performance in my opinion.

The biggest factor is the squad is too small and when we have lots of games in a short space of time we havent got the championship quality players to step in and help out

Playing with such a small squad was always going to cost us

1 minute ago, westonred said:

The biggest factor is the squad is too small and when we have lots of games in a short space of time we havent got the championship quality players to step in and help out

Playing with such a small squad was always going to cost us

But the squad hasn’t been small for weeks now?

I’m all for keeping the same(ish) back-four, but the front-six could be rotated to keep from fatique / keep fresh.  Could even split into two teams theoretically?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Hang on , before the match people were saying what an excellent bench we had. Praising Manning for his intelligent player rotations. So which is it? 

Knackered, too many games and in need of a week off.

Big rest this week then if it goes pear shaped at Hillsborough then we will all go into meltdown