IGNORED

Banged up

Always injured

In some countries, including USA, and some in Europe, if a sentence is passed down, which in affect could have been suspended, or deemed harsh, you could lodge appeal on sentencing, and in these cases, the defendant would be bailed if they have already been on bail until the conclusion of the hearing. I,e if appeal rejected, the defendant would have to present themselves to the police to be jailed.

In the UK, if you are jailed, you go straight to jail, you can obviously appeal sentence or conviction, but it happens whilst you are banged up, and if it was overturned, you would receive compensation.

Lets not forget, Adam Johnson carried on playing right up until his guilty verdicts.

In some European countries, sentences of under 3 years, mean you can serve the sentence in the community doing voluntary work, or on probation. In Spain, you can get a jail sentence of 3 years but effectively not have to spend a day in jail, you do however have to adhere to a curfew, can't undertake paid work, and have to surrender your passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm a bit torn on this. Obviously a player HAS to be suspended if there is an obvious safeguarding risk and a potential danger to others if that player is enabled to remain unsuspended. (So, for example, I think any player accused of sexual violence or any form of domestic violence should be suspended until the outcome of any legal proceeding because maintaining the illusion of them as a person who hasn't been accused of those things puts them in a position to harm others). I'm not sure if I think a player should be suspended before trial based on an accusation of assault and I think it probably comes down to the circumstances and whether letting the player continue to play increases the chances of a repeat incident.  

The incident happened in 2020 so that would be a long time to suspend someone! Seems odd this has taken so long to get to court...?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thoughts are with the truck driver who got assaulted of course but should he have been eligible to play against us and perhaps a few other sides?

I am no longer familiar with the Belgian legal system, but I should imagine it is very similar to that in France and, indeed, to the UK, where a person is considered innocent until proven guilty.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't understand legally though how kept it was kept out of the public domain until sentencing. Different laws in Belgium? 🤷‍♂️

Certainly, the law in France, Germany and other continental countries is that the identity of a person charged with a crime is not divulged to the public until such time as the accused person has been found guilty.

By extension, the media are not allowed to divulge such details either.

Personally, I think that is quite a quaint system, and goes a long way to supporting the concept of being considered innocent until proven guilty.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am no longer familiar with the Belgian legal system, but I should imagine it is very similar to that in France and, indeed, to the UK, where a person is considered innocent until proven guilty.

Certainly, the law in France, Germany and other continental countries is that the identity of a person charged with a crime is not divulged to the public until such time as the accused person has been found guilty.

By extension, the media are not allowed to divulge such details either.

Personally, I think that is quite a quaint system, and goes a long way to supporting the concept of being considered innocent until proven guilty.

A certain Nicolas Sarkozy, ex-President of France, has been found guilty of two serious corruption offences.

In the first, he was sentenced to three years imprisonment, two of which were suspended, but has appealed and, accordingly, has not set one foot in prison.

In the second, he was sentenced to twelve months prison, which he is currently serving at home.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A certain Nicolas Sarkozy, ex-President of France, has been found guilty of two serious corruption offences.

In the first, he was sentenced to three years imprisonment, two of which were suspended, but has appealed and, accordingly, has not set one foot in prison.

In the second, he was sentenced to twelve months prison, which he is currently serving at home.

Must be awful locked up with carla bruni...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Otoh we sold Ayling for something incredibly minor by comparison so I'm not sure how to view it really.

No we didn't. He was sold because we thought we had somebody better. We hadn't though

• Like 1

I think it’s fair enough he continued to play and if it’s his first offence and he learns his lesson should be allowed to continue upon release.

however, multiple offenders shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near pro sport in my opinion. Two examples would be Joey Barton and Jon Jones (UFC). It’s a disgrace we allow scum like that to compete, earn vast amounts of cash and be ‘role models in the public eye’

Just goes to show how lucky or unlucky you can be in an altercation.

He's hit him with a stone...I bet he wouldn't have intended to break his skull.

Yet you can punch an opposition fan and push him down the Dolman steps...and he survives any damage...yet could end so differently. 

Small margins in heated red mist. 

• Facepalm 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Always injured said:

Ilias Chair locked up for a year

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Talksport (fwiw) says something quite different.

Says he is back in UK, is available for QPR while Appealing.

So he isn't in jail, and he's available to play

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't understand legally though how kept it was kept out of the public domain until sentencing. Different laws in Belgium? 🤷‍♂️

Been on the QPR forum for a while..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Just goes to show how lucky or unlucky you can be in an altercation.

He's hit him with a stone...I bet he wouldn't have intended to break his skull.

Yet you can punch an opposition fan and push him down the Dolman steps...and he survives any damage...yet could end so differently. 

Small margins in heated red mist. 

A fist fight is totally different than using a knife or in this case brick/stone,what a ridiculous comment 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

A fist fight is totally different than using a knife or in this case brick/stone,what a ridiculous comment 

It's not a ridiculous comment...you've just misunderstood the post. 

You'd go to prison if you punched someone and broke their skull, or they fell and broke their skull. Or even worse died from their injuries.

The fine margin is the outcome. 

Blimey...I remember being pelted with stones at the Ninian Park car park, both sets lobbing em. 

But that was considered high jinx back then. 

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

You'd go to prison if you punched someone and broke their skull, or they fell and broke their skull. Or even worse died from their injuries.

Blimey...I remember being pelted with stones at the Ninian Park car park, both sets lobbing em. 

You are correct but red mist is throwing a punch off the cuff,I’m guessing he went looking for a brick/stone unless he carries them Willy nilly in his back pocket,if the incident happened in a quarry of course 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You are correct but red mist is throwing a punch off the cuff,I’m guessing he went looking for a brick/stone unless he carries them Willy nilly in his back pocket 

You're guessing and presuming...it might have been right where he was stood. And we don't even know whether the guy who was injured did the same thing. Like I said, you only hear one side when they are seriously injured. 

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I sort of know what you're saying, i'm sure he wouldn't of meant to do such damage but ultimately he did so has to pay the consequences

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

You're guessing and presuming...it might have been right where he was stood. And we don't even know whether the guy who was injured did the same thing. Like I said, you only hear one side when they are seriously injured. 

Exactly as you are guessing and presuming,from reading the report the bloke was on his own while the pebble smasher was with his mates 

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

You do know the difference between a rock and stone as you keep calling it 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Exactly as you are guessing and presuming,from reading the report the bloke was on his own while the pebble smasher was with his mates 

I'm not trying to justify his actions, just pointing out how easy it is to go to prison from injuring someone. If he had a bump on his head, the sentence would have been less. Like I said fine margins. 

The Mirror called it a rock...then quoted this...

In January, Antwerp's public prosecutor told a hearing: "According to many people involved, Ilias Chair lashed out at Niels T with a stone and knocked him unconscious. The consequences were dramatic for Niels T.