IGNORED

Liam Post Match

Silvio Dante

Just now, Davefevs said:

Firstly, McCrorie is hitting that “return from injury” brick-wall.  You get through some games on adrenaline but they catch up with you.  He’s just having his little “downer” whilst he settles back into regular first team football.  Nothing unusual there.

Today did feel a bit like “after last week I need a result, I’m gonna rush players back”.

Yea I thought that or maybe the quick succession of games caught up with him, it’s a lot of time out and we know “match” fitness is a different beast to just getting back fit.

Cam just didn’t look himself or particularly comfortable today. Could be lack of protection from Mehmeti infront of him, think the first goal was a combination of those two not passing on or taking responsibility for the runner.

Would be gutting for him or Sykes to get a recurrence or setback.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

He’s a fully grown adult. He could have chosen to stay at Oxford and continue to learn. He chose to dump on Oxford and take the fast tack, I’d predict, to an LJ managerial trajectory. 

To be fair most managers do, hardly exclusive to those 2.

Unsure how much good it does them but a lot do..

He has lost the dressing room.

They don't respect him, they don't like his game plan.

He's losing the fans.

I honestly don't know where the next win is coming from. It's a decent gap to the drop - 9 points. I suspect it will be more about the bottom clubs not picking up enough points rather than us gaining enough that keeps us up.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gaseater said:

We did back Cotterill heavily. 

No Cotterill wasn’t backed heavily.

HE saved us from relegation to Division 4 with the players he inherited.

He then rapidly tweaked the squad by identifying and acquiring a few key players largely financed by the sale of Baldock.

Having achieved a minor miracle in that 2014/15 season he was then massively shafted.

Of course the normal Idiots will appear saying out of his depth in the Championship etc when in fact he had been shafted and with what he had achieved deserved to be backed, not sacked. And more than that, not just deserved to be backed, but the leader of the football club, ie Lansdown, should have recognised what he was capable of and for the good of Bristol City should have backed him.

But no, Lee fricking Johnson was a better bet for the next 4 years, apparently.

Cotterill backed? My ass.

• Like 15
  • Flames 4

48 minutes ago, Gaseater said:

Signed a stack of players for league 1 title win, then tried to sign a stack of players who were well out of our reach….gayle gray etc. remember it well.

You’re not as ITK as you think you are mate. 

Gayle is a red herring, it’s what happened before that is the travesty.

• Flames 5

2 minutes ago, Gaseater said:

Never said i was itk.

Well you said he tried to sign a stack of players out of our reach. They weren’t. 

Brentford and Hull City a bigger pull than Bristol City? Really?

As for the comment “he signed a stack of players to win League One!”

Doesnt seem a bad thing to me. Certainly better than his successor spending 100 times as much to achieve **** all.

• Flames 3

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

You’re not as ITK as you think you are mate. 

Gayle is a red herring, it’s what happened before that is the travesty.

I honestly think there was an FFP consideration of sorts that summer, there was at that time a one year FFP rule before the changes.

Albeit the max sentence would've been an embargo in January 2017 had we exceeded limits and stayed down. However that rule was still in play at that time.

One thing to add, Hull had Parachure Payments so yes they could outcompete us financially at least in 2015-16. They were a yoyo club at that point.

I'm a major fan of Cotts btw and think he was shoddily treated.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Well, that was a let down. Not the loss, we’re used to that and it goes with the territory when you travel away but the performance was very worrying after qpr last week. I dont know what we are anymore, the players look confused, disjointed and we really do look a soft touch again.

The type of football manning wants to play is very commendable and great when you’re working with top players but we’re Bristol bloody city. We’re so predictable, no plan b. Teams work us out after 20 minutes and we then deteriorate as the game goes on.

Manning needs to be more pragmatic and make the most of what he’s got. He needs to accept that we haven’t got, and never will have, players good enough to play this type of possession football where it seems we’re trying to score the perfect goal through the thirds.

Hate to say it, but we looked like a team who didn’t believe in the way they were being asked to play today. Can’t knock the effort as such, but zero belief. I know we beat Southampton the other week and Watford on Boxing Day which were two great results but I’ve seen most of the games since he’s come in and I think we’re going backwards quick. 

Manning is not the right man for us. Big game next week against Cardiff-lose that and the pressure will be well and truly on. Hope tinnion and lansdown have a sleepless night…

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ll caveat again by saying I didn’t see the game but based on comments here this seems poorly judged. The comment of “I’ve said to the players we can give you all the information but if you don’t do the basics” may be right but is total deflection from any responsibility. I can’t see it playing well with the squad overall.

Worrying.

Rabbit in the headlights. Nuff said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Rs said:

He does seem very detail oriented but he got it working at Oxford so why not here. I know it’s a small data sample but he took 30 points from a possible 36 at the start of the season. He knows how to win games, this isn’t a “nobody” that some people think he is with no experience. Completely different to a Joe Edwards at millwall for example. 

Have you heard / read Oxford fans comments about the start to the season and their points haul ?

23 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Well you said he tried to sign a stack of players out of our reach. They weren’t. 

Brentford and Hull City a bigger pull than Bristol City? Really?

As for the comment “he signed a stack of players to win League One!”

Doesnt seem a bad thing to me. Certainly better than his successor spending 100 times as much to achieve **** all.

Your jousting with a very very sad , returning , with multiple banned accounts , troll  Nick 

#HalfMulletLes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ll caveat again by saying I didn’t see the game but based on comments here this seems poorly judged. The comment of “I’ve said to the players we can give you all the information but if you don’t do the basics” may be right but is total deflection from any responsibility. I can’t see it playing well with the squad overall.

Worrying.

I told them what to do and they didn't!

As others have said just like too many in football; blame the players and not me. If he is still here next season we are certs for the drop.

I've jokingly said for many years that when I can't get to Ashton Gate to watch and enjoy City playing football, please screw the lid down and send me to the crem. I never thought that I would choose not to go because I don't enjoy it! I stuck it out in 1982 to 1984 but this is the club taking the piss from all supporters.

• Flames 4
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I honestly don't know where the next win is coming from. It's a decent gap to the drop - 9 points. I suspect it will be more about the bottom clubs not picking up enough points rather than us gaining enough that keeps us up.

Just 8 days ago the gap was 15 points, on the current trajectory QPR and Wednesday could catch us within 6/7 games. I think it's maybe more likely Stoke and maybe Birmingham continue to sink. The worrying thing is that all the teams below us bar Rotherham and Stoke have strung some wins together recently. Lose the next 3 and we'd be right in the middle of it. On the other hand we're in the same boat as Watford and 'Boro.... 

It's the Championship, anything could happen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Again Dave, you know my rule - if you didn’t see the game don’t comment on the game. But dare I say that what you’re describing here is (taps sign)…adaptability and game management at heart?

Absolutely right. No adapting the game plan to suit what was happening on the pitch. Did the usual bringing people off, putting people on in their place as always around the 60min mark, with absolutely no change in style of play. 
 As said previously substitute players when they are clearly underperforming or aren’t right for the change in formation etc, but that’s not what happens, so the substitutions barely change anything at all. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I’m slowly falling out of love with us. That’s a horrible feeling.

I have felt this way for quite a while. Something about the club has changed ever since LJ was in charge. A cosy club, a nice club. I don't like it.

There is a feeling for me that within the club the board and the owners are very pleased with themselves about the facilities we have (High Performance Centre is a clue) and the fact we have sold academy players to PL clubs. They're delusional.

Not only that, we have been largely boring to watch for years really and I could count at least 30 matches in the last 6 years that have been pathetic, but nothing changes. The appointment of Dean Holden was pathetic and the sacking of Nigel Pearson pretty short sighted.

Even the new badge doesn't feel very Bristol City to me. 

You can bleat on about 2 good results from 1974 and 1994, but this just proves how very little this club has achieved. 

I think the fans of this club genuinely have the thickest skin out of any in England for how little we have to shout about for its size.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, spudski said:

LMs appointment suits JL and BT. 

JL isn't going to feel intimidated by him and Tins knows with his age and experience can manipulate and control him to his advantage. 

Tins knows he's landed in leprechaun shit...good academy manager...but now he has way too much influence. Not justified or qualified. But it suits JL as he is a 'mate' learning on the job.

LM comes across on the coaching pitch as ' one of the lads'. Slapping backs and hugs...he doesn't hold any presence or 'I'm the boss their will be consequences ' etc attitude. 

Most of the players have achieved more than him, and played under managers and coaches better than him, and some that have won the Prem. 

They will have heard it all from better coaches. 

And they are expected to respect him and his ideas. A nobody...employed by nobodies that got given a job by their billionaire dad and another that lives off scoring a winner against a crap Liverpool in the Cup. 

Says it all really. 

So miss having the presence of NP here. 

Run by cowards. 

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Absolutely right. No adapting the game plan to suit what was happening on the pitch. Did the usual bringing people off, putting people on in their place as always around the 60min mark, with absolutely no change in style of play. 
 As said previously substitute players when they are clearly underperforming or aren’t right for the change in formation etc, but that’s not what happens, so the substitutions barely change anything at all. 

What's become clear to me is that the game plan is the game plan. He has total faith (blind) in that game plan. And when that plan doesn't work he can't accept that it was the wrong plan and it must be the players fault for not implementing the plan rather than it being the plan that's wrong. That's why I hypothesise that is the reason why we don't see any tactical changes, because he doesn't think the problem is the tactics of the game plan. 

We've seen it so many times here before. Managers who keep on doing the same thing and thinking it's not them but the players. This sort of attitude only ends one way.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

Just noticed that he didn't mention the travelling support.

The very least I want to hear from a manager is "over a thousand fans have travelled all this way and they deserve better" but he doesn't see football that way. 

Noticed it before. He only mentions the fans when he is asked a question about the fans. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over two decades of the Lansdowns; please let it stop.

What a dreadful appointment Manning was.

I have said it for years that they need, with managerial appointments, to bring in expert advisers who know about the game.  And please don’t say we have Tinnion, because he has become a large part of the problem.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I’m slowly falling out of love with us. That’s a horrible feeling.

I have felt that way since LJ era when I stopped my season ticket, feel very different from the club I first went to in 1991. I used to feel real emotion at last minute wins, defeats etc. I barely flinch anymore when the vidi printer shows the opposition have scored or sometimes when we score. It’s an awful feeling and hope it comes back, but let’s face it that won’t happen until they sell up. I feel more of a follower than supporter these days.

In the meantime I will continue to attend the local non league teams in my area.

• Like 1