IGNORED

Get Pearson back now

GBF

On 25/02/2024 at 22:08, GBF said:

I know I am going to get shot down. Don’t care. Just love the Club and want the best for it. Clearly not going to happen. Best manager we have employed since Alan Dicks in terms of understanding what’s required to get promoted and what awaits should we ever achieve this. If Pearson can’t come back as Director of football.   We all know  the club don’t want him and he would tell us where to go   So the question is who could we appoint that could do this job?

I agree but it won't happen with these clowns.

• Like 1

Equal parts it makes me angry and sad.

We had something I was really proud of. A proper manager building a squad that would run all day and give everything.

Now what have we got? The mood hoover destroying all of the previous manager’s hard work. 

Steve, Jon, Brian, Liam. You haven’t got a ******* clue. You all deserve each other.

• Like 6
  • Flames 5

4 hours ago, GBF said:

After today do you still think this?  I think Manning clearly lacks the experience and skills to get the best out of this squad. The longer LM is here the worse it will get whereas with NP the longer he was here the better it would get

I agree and disagree.

Hear me out. 

I was not a Pearson fan, never warmed to him. Respected the job he done, but never felt like we would achieve anything. I kind of feel he done the job he was tasked to do, but I was not sorry to see him go. I don't think we would have ever progressed with Nige at the helm. That said, I don't think we would be playing like a team in free fall. Pearson was the right man at the right time, but in my eyes, he would have never been the man to get us promoted.

Now, I was and am willing to give Liam Manning a clean slate, it was a big task, and wanted to give him time to get the players to adapt to his football and make changes he saw fit, however, what I've seen in the last 3 games, the bloke is sleep walking us to relegation. He may have his own ideas and may want us to play a certain way, but it doesn't suit this group of players, so his changes need to be filtered in over time, if he continues to ignore what is blatantly obvious and continues to make players play a way that they physically can't and look more lost than bo peeps sheep, then he is either way too arrogant or tactically clueless. Whichever it is, Manning Ball has to go on the back burner. That's not to say long term it may not suit us better with his own squad, but with this squad we'll be in league one quicker than Brian Tinnion leaves Twitter again.....

Manning may come good, but what he is doing is absolutely soul destroying and unless he wakes up fast and see's that, then he has to go.

It's very quickly showing that Manning was not the answer, but neither was keeping Pearson long term in my eyes.

It's very well known, I liked Lee Johnson and gave him more time and patience than most, and I try to be fair to every manager and give them time, but for me, I just don't see Manning adapting and I have no faith in his football with this group of players.

I don't know enough as to what BT does, and the role he has at this club, but this was his decision. Not so much the departure of Pearson, which I can understand, albeit for me, I would have allowed Nige to see out his contract and thanked him for his time and leadership, but stated that we wanted to bring in someone younger with fresher ideas. Nige was pushing for a new contract he was never going to get. I think the club got it wrong. They should have said, that they thanked Nige for the job he done, but they wanted to change things at the end of the season and even asked Nige to help with the process of finding a new manager, even maybe offering Nige a role upstairs, those are things I feel we could have and probably should have done. But for me, Nige would not have ever taken us up, he suited the job he was tasked to do, not the task for the next man.

However, Liam Manning is not looking like he's the man for anything. 

I personally feel we have to act now, for the sake of the club. Tinnion and Manning have to go. SL and JL have taken their eye off the ball, and allowed someone completely unqualified and out of his depth to run the footballing side of the club and they have failed abysmally. Manning was Tinnion's appointment, and the buck stops with him. If Manning is not the answer, then Tinnion has to go as well. If Tinnion is not the answer, then Manning as his man has to go.

That said, bringing Nige back is not the answer also.

There's 12 games left, we can go back to basics and pick up enough points to stay up (we shouldn't even be looking at that scenario!) and evaluate at the end of the season and look to bring in the right man. 

Myself, for the sake of 12 games, I would give Andy King the player manager role, but he should not be a consideration for the permanent managers post. It's just about getting to the summer in the Champioonship.

But if Lansdown doesn't step in and end this nightmare that is rapidly imploding on us, then he has completely lost me. I've no qualms about JL being our chairman, he is only doing as his Dad has asked him to do. But if SL has any respect for the fans, desire for this club to be successful and wants to keep his legacy of this club with any degree of purpose, then Monday morning Tinnion and Manning have to be relived of their duties and this route must NEVER be explored again. 

Bring in a proper CEO, a proper Director of Football, and employ someone who has been successful at this level. If he is unwilling to do this, then in my opinion, he is WORSE than the problem that has been created.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

On 26/02/2024 at 09:27, robinforlife2 said:

Pearson was no better and we were equally as inconsistent. Sacking Manning to bring back Pearson would be like swapping Pasta for Spaghetti, it won't achieve anything and will just be exactly the same, only look a little different. 

Are talking about this season when he was in charge, and the whole - ya know - injury crisis where Sykes played at LB and Joseph James - who Manning doesn't even name on the bench once, was RB?

Or are we talking about last season when once NP nailed down 4-3-3 and we actually looked consistent, performance wise, and just needed to make sure Scott was replaced but the Heirarchy decided that was too straight forward and took a massive risk on TGH that for me has completely flattered to deceive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

I agree and disagree.

Hear me out. 

I was not a Pearson fan, never warmed to him. Respected the job he done, but never felt like we would achieve anything. I kind of feel he done the job he was tasked to do, but I was not sorry to see him go. I don't think we would have ever progressed with Nige at the helm. That said, I don't think we would be playing like a team in free fall. Pearson was the right man at the right time, but in my eyes, he would have never been the man to get us promoted.

Now, I was and am willing to give Liam Manning a clean slate, it was a big task, and wanted to give him time to get the players to adapt to his football and make changes he saw fit, however, what I've seen in the last 3 games, the bloke is sleep walking us to relegation. He may have his own ideas and may want us to play a certain way, but it doesn't suit this group of players, so his changes need to be filtered in over time, if he continues to ignore what is blatantly obvious and continues to make players play a way that they physically can't and look more lost than bo peeps sheep, then he is either way too arrogant or tactically clueless. Whichever it is, Manning Ball has to go on the back burner. That's not to say long term it may not suit us better with his own squad, but with this squad we'll be in league one quicker than Brian Tinnion leaves Twitter again.....

Manning may come good, but what he is doing is absolutely soul destroying and unless he wakes up fast and see's that, then he has to go.

It's very quickly showing that Manning was not the answer, but neither was keeping Pearson long term in my eyes.

It's very well known, I liked Lee Johnson and gave him more time and patience than most, and I try to be fair to every manager and give them time, but for me, I just don't see Manning adapting and I have no faith in his football with this group of players.

I don't know enough as to what BT does, and the role he has at this club, but this was his decision. Not so much the departure of Pearson, which I can understand, albeit for me, I would have allowed Nige to see out his contract and thanked him for his time and leadership, but stated that we wanted to bring in someone younger with fresher ideas. Nige was pushing for a new contract he was never going to get. I think the club got it wrong. They should have said, that they thanked Nige for the job he done, but they wanted to change things at the end of the season and even asked Nige to help with the process of finding a new manager, even maybe offering Nige a role upstairs, those are things I feel we could have and probably should have done. But for me, Nige would not have ever taken us up, he suited the job he was tasked to do, not the task for the next man.

I personally feel we have to act now, for the sake of the club. Tinnion and Manning have to go. SL and JL have taken their eye off the ball, and allowed someone completely unqualified and out of his depth to run the footballing side of the club and they have failed abysmally. Manning was Tinnion's appointment, and the buck stops with him. If Manning is not the answer, then Tinnion has to go as well. If Tinnion is not the answer, then Manning as his man has to go.

There's 12 games left, we can go back to basics and pick up enough points to stay up (we shouldn't even be looking at that scenario!) and evaluate at the end of the season and look to bring in the right man. 

Myself, for the sake of 12 games, I would give Andy King the player manager role, but he should not be a consideration for the permanent managers post. It's just about getting to the summer in the Champioonship.

But if Lansdown doesn't step in and end this nightmare that is rapidly imploding on us, then he has completely lost me. I've no qualms about JL being our chairman, he is only doing as his Dad has asked him to do. But if SL has any respect for the fans, desire for this club to be successful and wants to keep his legacy of this club with any degree of purpose, then Monday morning Tinnion and Manning have to be relived of their duties and this route must NEVER be explored again. 

Bring in a proper CEO, a proper Director of Football, and employ someone who has been successful at this level. If he is unwilling to do this, then in my opinion, he is WORSE than the problem that has been created.

i like that, a very detailed and well thought out post of which i think you are largely correct, the only thing i feel different about is whether Nige would have delivered the promised land. i believe he would have done with his team of staff but that is just a simple difference of opinion between 2 people and im man enough to accept yours and RESPECT it 👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I agree and disagree.

Hear me out. 

Superb post. I hope you don’t get stick as you’ve dared to say you don’t like Saint Nigel. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I agree and disagree.

Hear me out. 

Good post , but to be honest even if I would like to see some of things you mention they aint gonna happen.
Tinnion is new to the role and is now tight with Lansdown Snr & Jnr. He is safe for some time.
Worse is , wasn't there talk of grooming him to be CEO ?
I would have liked Pearson in the sort of role Tinnion has squirmed his way into, they didn't want him anywhere at the Club , so that was never a starter .
I don't know what Jon brings to his role, but if he turned round and said "it was our mistake & thanks Liam" I would have more respect for him.

We had a good man in as CEO , that he moved to his dream job is unfortunate . We got an experienced man in but at the first chance Steve showed his lack of trust and respect by taking over the Scott deal , Alexander leaves a month later. In the job for 7 months and I think the timing was no coincidence .
So to get a good man in, who knows the role , has experience and all the qualities needed may be difficult . No one like interference , so going into a new role expecting it isn't going to appeal to many.

I think we are stuck with Tins for some time. We are stuck with Jnr, which I'm less concerned with as we know why he's there and so is there until HE wants out.

The one thing we can change , and if they have anything about them they would have had a list already, is the Coach/Manager . 
I was thinking earlier , what has improved under Manning ? I honestly have nothing . I went through player by player and the biggest impact he has had is drastically cutting Conways value, reducing Knight's impact on games and making Sykes a passenger from where he used to be our biggest goal threat.

They must surely be thinking about a change, even this early . It's not just results , it's not just performances but just looking at Manning post match , he looks lost and completely broken. 

A likely defeat at Ipswich and another struggle V Swansea he surely has to be on borrowed time.
That will leave us with 9 games to go and even closer the drop zone that the 6 points we are now. Add that our form is shocking something has to give.

• Like 3

I don’t think there’s any chance he will return.

The Lansdown’s won’t want to admit that there were wrong by having him back and in any event there is no guarantee he would want to come back after what happened. I get the impression he is a proud man who does not suffer fools gladly.

Apologies if it’s been covered elsewhere, but does anyone know how NP is now healthwise? 

Edited by Redland
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I agree and disagree.

Hear me out. 

Thanks for your well balanced reply. It is about opinions and I respect yours.   For what it is worth IMO we are more likely to get to Premiership with someone Managing us that has experience of managing at that level and has taken a team up there

• Like 2

Interview with Semenyo with Sky today

“A handful more appearances for Bristol City followed before another loan spell, this time at Sunderland in League One until he finally broke into the first team. Then Nigel Pearson arrived. Semenyo smiles at that name.

"I had a bit of a cagey start with him. I wasn't really playing much and as a player you're like, 'Why am I not playing?'. He just said your best ability is running and shooting so all you need to do is run and shoot!”

It does seem that you only hear positive stories about his management from the players 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Bedminster said:

Superb post. I hope you don’t get stick as you’ve dared to say you don’t like Saint Nigel. 

I've asked one of your lot before but didn't get a response so i'll ask again.. Are you salaried at Bristol Sport or do they pay you over time for posting on this forum on the weekends?!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Interview with Semenyo with Sky today

“A handful more appearances for Bristol City followed before another loan spell, this time at Sunderland in League One until he finally broke into the first team. Then Nigel Pearson arrived. Semenyo smiles at that name.

"I had a bit of a cagey start with him. I wasn't really playing much and as a player you're like, 'Why am I not playing?'. He just said your best ability is running and shooting so all you need to do is run and shoot!”

It does seem that you only hear positive stories about his management from the players 

Run and shoot indeed. Not over complicating a simple game. 

You get the feeling Manning would’ve had a completely different approach with Semenyo.

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

I've asked one of your lot before but didn't get a response so i'll ask again.. Are you salaried at Bristol Sport or do they pay you over time for posting on this forum on the weekends?!

What you going on about? 

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

I bet you stink.

You got crumbs in your beard mate. Try some deodorant aswell. 

3 hours ago, Bedminster said:

Oh look, another one.

26 minutes ago, Bedminster said:

What you going on about? 

And I'm not the first to notice.

No one claims NP was a saint. But he, in interviews, outlined what merits a manager should be based on.

One of those outlined parameters was that it was his job to find a system for 'these' players to get results.

Not his system. Not his 'framework' or 'processes'. The squad first.

Manning is 180 the opposite and he's losing the dressing room because of it.

We've gone from defending the players and taking the flack and responsibility under NP to blaming the players and not the process under Manning. It's no wonder we're now seeing soft performances.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/every-word-nigel-pearson-city-7970393?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Just see Niges post match from West Brom as a comparison. 'Our Players, Our Fans'

Compared to https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/liam-manning-bristol-city-cardiff-9138398

'I want, I want, I want', then 'they (the team) should feel x, y, z.

It's just terrible leadership. Leagues apart. Literally and in methodology with regards to squad culture.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Good post , but to be honest even if I would like to see some of things you mention they aint gonna happen.
Tinnion is new to the role and is now tight with Lansdown Snr & Jnr. He is safe for some time.
Worse is , wasn't there talk of grooming him to be CEO ?
I would have liked Pearson in the sort of role Tinnion has squirmed his way into, they didn't want him anywhere at the Club , so that was never a starter .
I don't know what Jon brings to his role, but if he turned round and said "it was our mistake & thanks Liam" I would have more respect for him.

We had a good man in as CEO , that he moved to his dream job is unfortunate . We got an experienced man in but at the first chance Steve showed his lack of trust and respect by taking over the Scott deal , Alexander leaves a month later. In the job for 7 months and I think the timing was no coincidence .
So to get a good man in, who knows the role , has experience and all the qualities needed may be difficult . No one like interference , so going into a new role expecting it isn't going to appeal to many.

I think we are stuck with Tins for some time. We are stuck with Jnr, which I'm less concerned with as we know why he's there and so is there until HE wants out.

The one thing we can change , and if they have anything about them they would have had a list already, is the Coach/Manager . 
I was thinking earlier , what has improved under Manning ? I honestly have nothing . I went through player by player and the biggest impact he has had is drastically cutting Conways value, reducing Knight's impact on games and making Sykes a passenger from where he used to be our biggest goal threat.

They must surely be thinking about a change, even this early . It's not just results , it's not just performances but just looking at Manning post match , he looks lost and completely broken. 

A likely defeat at Ipswich and another struggle V Swansea he surely has to be on borrowed time.
That will leave us with 9 games to go and even closer the drop zone that the 6 points we are now. Add that our form is shocking something has to give.

Are we though? It's Steve's money and reputation at stake. JL can be moved on and go back to Bermuda without any fuss. BT will be binned if SL thinks they're doing a bad job

Edited by exAtyeoMax

56 minutes ago, Bedminster said:

What you going on about? 

Just f uc k off you ignorant BS ncut.

You think you or your employers know what a proper manager looks like?

F uc k off.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Are we though? It's Steve's money and reputation at stake. JL can be moved on and go back to Bermuda without any fuss. BT will be binned if SL thinks they're doing a bad job

If Jon wants the job it's his , he may not be brilliant but Dad will be keeping an eye on him and what does he actually do ? 
Tinnion has just been given that role and he will be bullet proof in as much as he will blame the Coach for what's happening. He will make sure his back is covered and Steve will accept that. We know he backs his friends , possibly too much but I would bet money that Manning might go, but Tins and Jon won't .

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If Jon wants the job it's his , he may not be brilliant but Dad will be keeping an eye on him and what does he actually do ? 
Tinnion has just been given that role and he will be bullet proof in as much as he will blame the Coach for what's happening. He will make sure his back is covered and Steve will accept that. We know he backs his friends , possibly too much but I would bet money that Manning might go, but Tins and Jon won't .

Seriously? JL is in charge. He put BT in charge, as technical director.

How long will SL accept failure? If he's happy to bank roll his son and his buddy while we face relegation/get relegated and lose more of the playing squad, to be replaced with poor quality because of poor recruitment,  then he's more foolish than I thought.

10 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

Nige back would be lovely but can’t see it.

I think Paul Heckinbottom as a manager would get better out of the current squad.

Heckingbottom is a shout. Decent manager at this level, would suit City I think. Relatively progressive but can also mix things up which he did at Sheffield United.

I do fear the Manager's job at City is a poisoned chalice though, and too many managers look at us and think 'too high of an expectation and if i fail i'll be at a League 1 club after'. 

Should never have sacked Pearson. Absolute disasterclass.

5 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i like that, a very detailed and well thought out post of which i think you are largely correct, the only thing i feel different about is whether Nige would have delivered the promised land. i believe he would have done with his team of staff but that is just a simple difference of opinion between 2 people and im man enough to accept yours and RESPECT it 👍

And what they should’ve been working on was getting Nigel and Phil Alexander to find the successor.  Maybe he was in-house, maybe he wasn’t.  Nigel isn’t one for nepotism, he would’ve found the right successor, not a mate.  If it was a mate, it’s because they’d be the best person for the job.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Seriously? JL is in charge. He put BT in charge, as technical director.

How long will SL accept failure? If he's happy to bank roll his son and his buddy while we face relegation/get relegated and lose more of the playing squad, to be replaced with poor quality because of poor recruitment,  then he's more foolish than I thought.

I meant as Chairman . 

He isn't foolish, I do think he's blinkered and can't let go properly. What he should have done , should do is get good people in the right positions and let people do their job without interference. 

Tins got his job through working his way into SL's affections , mates play well with Steve it seems . Jon , well , if it was one of us you would just try and steer him a bit, but who would sack their own son ?

If anyone is going to pay with their job , my moneys on Manning.

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Just f uc k off you ignorant BS ncut.

You think you or your employers know what a proper manager looks like?

F uc k off.

State of you. Absolute whopper. You all take the piss (rightly) out of the North Korea forum over Horfield and you get bollocks like this off people on here. Embarrassing. 

Edited by Bedminster

8 hours ago, Fuber said:

Oh look, another one.

And I'm not the first to notice.

No one claims NP was a saint. But he, in interviews, outlined what merits a manager should be based on.

One of those outlined parameters was that it was his job to find a system for 'these' players to get results.

Not his system. Not his 'framework' or 'processes'. The squad first.

Manning is 180 the opposite and he's losing the dressing room because of it.

We've gone from defending the players and taking the flack and responsibility under NP to blaming the players and not the process under Manning. It's no wonder we're now seeing soft performances.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/every-word-nigel-pearson-city-7970393?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Just see Niges post match from West Brom as a comparison. 'Our Players, Our Fans'

Compared to https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/liam-manning-bristol-city-cardiff-9138398

'I want, I want, I want', then 'they (the team) should feel x, y, z.

It's just terrible leadership. Leagues apart. Literally and in methodology with regards to squad culture.

NP going was correct. He was never going to take us to the next level and he did a brilliant job here. Our mistake was appointing Manning. 

This weird narrative on here that the football was brilliant and NP was a god is laughable.