IGNORED

Get Pearson back now

GBF

7 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The few times we've added control at the back with the counter attacking elements of the old regime we've looked good against better opponents. 

Every time he's reverted to type with the behaviours and patterns he wants we've been dreadful and mindnumbing to watch.

Rather be mid table with a paper thin squad with academy lads getting opportunities and pressing every team that we play then watch this almost fully fit squad amble about trying to play a boring style of football.

Just my opinion on the style, don't have to agree. It just isn't for me.

Oh 100% agree.

Would just have rather they would have gotten another coach in to adjust to NPs system rather than chuck out the book as it were.

We're mindnumbing under Manning at times.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The few times we've added control at the back with the counter attacking elements of the old regime we've looked good against better opponents. 

Every time he's reverted to type with the behaviours and patterns he wants we've been dreadful and mindnumbing to watch.

Rather be mid table with a paper thin squad with academy lads getting opportunities and pressing every team that we play then watch this almost fully fit squad amble about trying to play a boring style of football.

Just my opinion on the style, don't have to agree. It just isn't for me.

Nige did have a counterattacking style, but recognised to get his team to the next level, required a change towards possession-based.  But I don’t think he’d have ever gone down a totally possession-based set-up.  I think he recognised that if you cede 60-65% of possession against the good teams, ultimately they’ll beat you more times than not, so he wanted to be able to compete better in those games.  I do however think he valued the need for power and pace, how chances can be created just as easily (more easily?) from punishing opponents mistakes (from the press), and often these are better chances or on the break against unstructured defences.

So, the questions coming out of the recent block of 4 games which have given us ups and downs are:

1. had we played pure Manningball would we have won against Boro and Saints
  2. had we played a more counterattacking style would we have won against QPR and Wednesday

More hypothetical than anything else, but I don’t agree with changing to match opponents, not from the off.  The intention should be to impose your style and make your opponents change imho.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, GBF said:

Given there seems to be a consensus that we are going backwards. What are the possible solutions that the current Board might sanction to make things better?

send tinnion and manning on a scouting mission to the north pole for a few months

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Forget his integrity, he's gone 

It wouldn't matter who is in charge etc 

He's gone 

I believe only Leicester in his whole managerial career is the only place he returned and that was on the back of getting them promoted 

I 100% agree with the second paragraph, things have been rumbling more and more over the past few years and it seems to be only a matter of time before things really come to a head. 

I was gutted to see him go, but some replies are bordering on an odd obsession, we've seen plenty of Managers come and go over the years. 

There's some odd cult like obsession at the moment why all these months later can't people move on? 

I'd hate to be an ex partner of some on here you'd never let go 🤦

Did he go back the Leicester after his decision to leave them for Hull. Apart from Lampard going back to Chelsea I can’t remember a manager going back to a club being sacked from. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Did he go back the Leicester after his decision to leave them for Hull. Apart from Lampard going back to Chelsea I can’t remember a manager going back to a club being sacked from. 

Apart from Neil Harris this week?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige did have a counterattacking style, but recognised to get his team to the next level, required a change towards possession-based.  But I don’t think he’d have ever gone down a totally possession-based set-up.  I think he recognised that if you cede 60-65% of possession against the good teams, ultimately they’ll beat you more times than not, so he wanted to be able to compete better in those games.  I do however think he valued the need for power and pace, how chances can be created just as easily (more easily?) from punishing opponents mistakes (from the press), and often these are better chances or on the break against unstructured defences.

So, the questions coming out of the recent block of 4 games which have given us ups and downs are:

1. had we played pure Manningball would we have won against Boro and Saints
  2. had we played a more counterattacking style would we have won against QPR and Wednesday

More hypothetical than anything else, but I don’t agree with changing to match opponents, not from the off.  The intention should be to impose your style and make your opponents change imho.

I suppose you could keep the basic framework of 4-3-3ish and tweak within it.

Vs a stronger side, more pressing and counter pressing...but good with the ball when you have it, whereas more possession and higher press as well as using it well vs a lesser side, similar with go me v away split.

However a basic framework of press, possession and perhaps 4-3-3ish should be constant.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

As @Clevedon Red is considerably older than me (😉) his final salary pension wasn’t as badly impacted as mine!!!  But even he took exception to his face being printed on the new pension leaflets when the new terms came in.  That was a bloody funny time!

It still keeps me awake at night. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

I’ve had enough of the Lansdownes. Complete chaos from owner/Board level downwards.
Getting rid of Nige P was the final straw for me. A defeat next Saturday versus the Welsh will be the final straw for many others. Bring back Nige P.

Me, you, and a lot of people I hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Did he not resign himself last time? 

Maybe but if you don’t immediately end up somewhere else I guess you tend to do that when you’re about to be sacked?

2 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Is the Pearson sub forum still not open? 

While results and performances remain up, down, sketchy this will roll and roll..and perhaps get more polarised.

The Manning debate and the decision to change.

If the change doesn't yield improvement, discontent will abound.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Disagree.  Full of long time supporters who have seen it all, and recognise a downward projectory when they see it.

Let's see if we can recognise the trajectory.  At the risk of slight arbitrariness, let's take each group of 10 years since we were relegated from what was then Div 1:

1980s 1 season in 2nd tier, 7 seasons in 3rd tier, 2 seasons in 4th tier

1990s 6 seasons in 2nd tier, 4 seasons in 3rd tier

2000s 3 seasons in 2nd tier, 7 seasons in 3rd tier

2010s 8 seasons in 2nd tier, 2 seaons in 3rd tier

2020s 4 seasons in 2nd tier

It's not that long ago at all that we spent 8 consecutive seasons in the third tier.  We've now spent 15 out of the last 17 seasons in the second tier.  Things could certainly be better, but they could also be (and have been) an awful lot worse.

50 minutes ago, red panda said:

Let's see if we can recognise the trajectory.  At the risk of slight arbitrariness, let's take each group of 10 years since we were relegated from what was then Div 1:

1980s 1 season in 2nd tier, 7 seasons in 3rd tier, 2 seasons in 4th tier

1990s 6 seasons in 2nd tier, 4 seasons in 3rd tier

2000s 3 seasons in 2nd tier, 7 seasons in 3rd tier

2010s 8 seasons in 2nd tier, 2 seaons in 3rd tier

2020s 4 seasons in 2nd tier

It's not that long ago at all that we spent 8 consecutive seasons in the third tier.  We've now spent 15 out of the last 17 seasons in the second tier.  Things could certainly be better, but they could also be (and have been) an awful lot worse.

I would rather us go to back to the third tier if it gets rid of the Lansdowns. 

One step back for who knows how many forward.

7 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

So we should turn to sacking a manager after 2 consecutive defeats? Who are we, Watford?

Presumably Pearson would also get the bullet if he lost 2? Or does he get a buffer of 3?

9 points in 10 games. Wake up fella.

• Like 3

Let's see. Thought abour this when out earlier.

Succession Planning and Continuity..tbis perhaps should dictate..and I was and still am pro NP.

*Younger.

*Someone like NP. Can command respect, with experience but younger, and willing able to build on a solid base but can fight his corner with the hierarchy.

*Yet perhaps bit more hands on coaching if that is the goal.

*Keeping the press and intensity, the good habits we saw under NP...

*...while adding some craft in possession to enhance the Plan A. Obviously quality where possible to build on the base.

*Someone who will give youth their head, not tokenism but is happy and comfortable to do so.

If you can find such a candidate then an orderly handover may make sense. If not, then why make the  change?

14 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Neal Harris

Mourinho

Just off the top of my head but there are many others

On 26/02/2024 at 09:27, robinforlife2 said:

Pearson was no better and we were equally as inconsistent. Sacking Manning to bring back Pearson would be like swapping Pasta for Spaghetti, it won't achieve anything and will just be exactly the same, only look a little different. 

After today do you still think this?  I think Manning clearly lacks the experience and skills to get the best out of this squad. The longer LM is here the worse it will get whereas with NP the longer he was here the better it would get

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, GBF said:

After today do you still think this?  I think Manning clearly lacks the experience and skills to get the best out of this squad. The longer LM is here the worse it will get whereas with NP the longer he was here the better it would get

We can but dream. A manager who doesn't talk in clichés and jargon would be nice...