IGNORED

Get Pearson back now

GBF

9 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Are we though? It's Steve's money and reputation at stake. JL can be moved on and go back to Bermuda without any fuss. BT will be binned if SL thinks they're doing a bad job

But Tinnion had already done a rotten job when manager.  It beggars belief that he is now in the position he is.

He is a relic of a bygone footballing age, and one in which he was unsuccessful 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

But Tinnion had already done a rotten job when manager.  It beggars belief that he is now in the position he is.

He is a relic of a bygone footballing age, and one in which he was unsuccessful 

yes but we're talking about now. More is at risk now

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How do you know he wasnt? 

We were on course to progress this season under him. 

There isn't a weird narrative on here that the football was brilliant and NP was a good. That's a false narrative YOU have come up with. By and large the narrative is that the football was functional based on circumstances and that we could all see the improvements that were slowly happening. Most people have an appreciation of the job that NP did it very difficult circumstances. 

Exactly! I don’t know why people have to say something extreme that wasn’t true to justify themselves. 

The real narrative/situation was as you say!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bedminster said:

NP going was correct. He was never going to take us to the next level and he did a brilliant job here. Our mistake was appointing Manning. 

This weird narrative on here that the football was brilliant and NP was a god is laughable. 

That's ridiculous. The first part season Nigel Pearson was here his aim was to save us from relegation.

The next two seasons his aim was to drastically cut our wage bill while consolidating our position in the league while utilising our academy and playing decent, fast counter attacking football which wasn't by any means spectacular.

It was next season 2024-25 that his aim was to produce brilliant football and be elevated to God status. That's why the Lansdowns got rid because they only had enough room at Ashton Gate for the new basketball arena. They simply couldn't shoehorn a Temple to the Cult of Nige into the plans. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bedminster said:

NP going was correct. He was never going to take us to the next level and he did a brilliant job here. Our mistake was appointing Manning. 

This weird narrative on here that the football was brilliant and NP was a god is laughable. 

He was getting what he could out of a limited squad with limited sometimes curtailed investment while reducing the wage bill from the eye watering £35m per annum under LJ and MA.

No other manager, available freely or who would come to us, has his squad building and infrastructure skills. He deserved a proper CEO (Alexander) to help support him, proper recruitment, and not Tinnion sticking his d*** in the pie.

As for the bit in bold - reread my post. Where have I said the football was brilliant. Sh** attempt deflection at best. Give me some real counterpoints otherwise why post.

Who do we get that's better that would work with these amateurs in these constraints like NP did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

He was getting what he could out of a limited squad with limited sometimes curtailed investment while reducing the wage bill from the eye watering £35m per annum under LJ and MA.

No other manager, available freely or who would come to us, has his squad building and infrastructure skills. He deserved a proper CEO (Alexander) to help support him, proper recruitment, and not Tinnion sticking his d*** in the pie.

As for the bit in bold - reread my post. Where have I said the football was brilliant. Sh** attempt deflection at best. Give me some real counterpoints otherwise why post.

Who do we get that's better that would work with these amateurs in these constraints like NP did.

That’s the problem going forward. We aren’t going to get anyone better than NP. It’s depressing that we needlessly sacked him. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Interview with Semenyo with Sky today

“A handful more appearances for Bristol City followed before another loan spell, this time at Sunderland in League One until he finally broke into the first team. Then Nigel Pearson arrived. Semenyo smiles at that name.

"I had a bit of a cagey start with him. I wasn't really playing much and as a player you're like, 'Why am I not playing?'. He just said your best ability is running and shooting so all you need to do is run and shoot!”

It does seem that you only hear positive stories about his management from the players 

How simple it was. And there’sTommy telling us he’s realised after LM’s coaching that it’s not all about scoring goals, it’s about defending and concentrating on the whole game. 
 I’d imagine NP would say the same to Tommy your job is to run and score goals. 

• Flames 1

What I never see in any of these conversations about NP is that it was becoming increasingly apparent that he wasn't going to be offered a new contract, therefore the question was do you let him take you through the January window?  Once the contract decision was made letting him go became the obvious choice for the powers that be.

Now why they decided not to extend his tenure we'll never know but his own health issues and possibly the perceived breakdown in the working relationship with the senior leadership would point to why those decisions were made. Certainly some of my friends were quite happy to see him go, personally I thought the end wasn't far off.

43 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

What I never see in any of these conversations about NP is that it was becoming increasingly apparent that he wasn't going to be offered a new contract, therefore the question was do you let him take you through the January window?  Once the contract decision was made letting him go became the obvious choice for the powers that be.

Now why they decided not to extend his tenure we'll never know but his own health issues and possibly the perceived breakdown in the working relationship with the senior leadership would point to why those decisions were made. Certainly some of my friends were quite happy to see him go, personally I thought the end wasn't far off.

Interested at the rationale to be happy seeing him leave.

Not criticising but a case for the other side..worked well so far, hasn't it? Still happy?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The real question is why wasn’t Nige going to be offered a new contract, considering he has done everything that has been asked of him to that point?

Why didn’t they trust Nige and Phil Alexander to get on with using some of the Scott money to invest in players?

How did they manage to lose 2 men with over 60 years’ worth of top football experience, including time at the highest level, in the space of just over a month?

Why did they think that they could cope without that experience? Was it arrogance or ignorance?

Why did they appoint an inexperienced League 1 coach with no actual success, but one sacking in just over 2 years, to replace Nige?

Why was Tinnion elevated from Head of the Academy to Head of Recruitment and then to Technical Director, when his only period as a manager ended after just over a season in League 1 with us and in failure? 

How did we end up with a “board” that has only 2 people, one of whom is the son of the owner and the other was the Bristol Sport accountant? Why were all of the other board members removed over time and not replaced?

All of these questions would help explain why we find ourselves in the position we do now, with a team in a terrible run of form, playing some of the dullest football ever witnessed at Ashton Gate, from a Head Coach who is out of his depth, appointed by people who think they know more about professional football than they really do.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have these questions answered publicly 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Are we though? It's Steve's money and reputation at stake. JL can be moved on and go back to Bermuda without any fuss. BT will be binned if SL thinks they're doing a bad job

Steve Lansdown will not intervene. 

He checked out of this football club quite a while ago. 

Shame he still owns it.

• Hmmm 1

Nige deserved the chance to stay to the season end at least, the board should have really looked at far reaching options if they were deciding to part ways. Manning’s appointment made no sense at all with the players we had, in fact the points made around a progressive appointment and top six aspirations this season was crazy talk by JL, BT and all. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The real question is why wasn’t Nige going to be offered a new contract, considering he has done everything that has been asked of him to that point?

Why didn’t they trust Nige and Phil Alexander to get on with using some of the Scott money to invest in players?

How did they manage to lose 2 men with over 60 years’ worth of top football experience, including time at the highest level, in the space of just over a month?

Why did they think that they could cope without that experience? Was it arrogance or ignorance?

Why did they appoint an inexperienced League 1 coach with no actual success, but one sacking in just over 2 years, to replace Nige?

Why was Tinnion elevated from Head of the Academy to Head of Recruitment and then to Technical Director, when his only period as a manager ended after just over a season in League 1 with us and in failure? 

How did we end up with a “board” that has only 2 people, one of whom is the son of the owner and the other was the Bristol Sport accountant? Why were all of the other board members removed over time and not replaced?

All of these questions would help explain why we find ourselves in the position we do now, with a team in a terrible run of form, playing some of the dullest football ever witnessed at Ashton Gate, from a Head Coach who is out of his depth, appointed by people who think they know more about professional football than they really do.

Brilliant post!!!

You answered your own question though in a way but....

It was arrogance AND ignorance ...

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interested at the rationale to be happy seeing him leave.

Not criticising but a case for the other side..worked well so far, hasn't it? Still happy?

Not at the moment but they wouldn't go back either.

Saturday was the first time I felt properly disillusioned. Like for like substitutions and a definite lack of a any thoughts or plans to change the way we were playing to affect the game. There is certainly isn't any contentment or happiness within me and my friends, just another season of watching us try and limp towards safety (hopefully).

Another season of same old mediocrity 

29 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

Not at the moment but they wouldn't go back either.

Saturday was the first time I felt properly disillusioned. Like for like substitutions and a definite lack of a any thoughts or plans to change the way we were playing to affect the game. There is certainly isn't any contentment or happiness within me and my friends, just another season of watching us try and limp towards safety (hopefully).

Another season of same old mediocrity 

I'd say it has regressed.

In their differing ways, Norwich, Millwall, Leeds, QPR and Cardiff at Home were shockers.

Talking of QPR, post substitutions, the last half hour plus stoppage v QPR was dreadful- our shape and structure went entirely in the way that we chased the gsme and we kept getting carved open on the break.

2nd half of last year, post the change to 4-3-3 was fine. Bit revisionist IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say it has regressed.

In their differing ways, Norwich, Millwall, Leeds, QPR and Cardiff at Home were shockers.

Talking of QPR, post substitutions, the last half hour plus stoppage v QPR was dreadful- our shape and structure went entirely in the way that we chased the gsme and we kept getting carved open on the break.

2nd half of last year, post the change to 4-3-3 was fine. Bit revisionist IMO.

You're right about last season and there were times at the start of this season where it looked like we were carrying on in the vain. And as soon as there was the slightest down turn in that form the axe was swung. Like I alluded to in my first post, getting rid of NP was premeditated. So for now we limp through to the end of the season and hope given the opportunity to change in team and a preseason, we see an upturn in our fortunes. 

• Like 2

On 04/03/2024 at 00:09, Dr Balls said:

Firstly, I was out yesterday so reading what appeared to be long post on my phone wasn't really possible at the time so apologies for not replying sooner.

Now having taken the time to read your reply I want to reply to your questions and observations.

Every point you make is correct, and for the record I was only pointing out a thought or observation myself. The only thought I have is I'm not convinced by the 'out of his depth' argument (yet). Having beaten Middlesbrough and Southampton and the recent cup performances not many were questioning if he was out of his depth. We still, very much have a counter attacking mindset within the squad as a whole, something we have been since the last couple of seasons of LJ's reign. LM trying to change that mindset mid season is clearly proving more difficult than some of those involved thought it would be. I'd like to have seen LM use that tactic more till we get to a safer position, probably something some (in power) thought we already were?

I do believe Tinnion should've stayed in his Academy and Youth recruitment roles. An experienced Director of Football should've been put into position, especially, with a small board and with a young (highly thought of) coach having been appointed, not so much as an overseer but more as someone who can act as support to bounce ideas off. Someone who would not be interested in the managerial or coaching role themselves.

There are plenty of rumours surrounding NP and Alexander during their time here and what might have led to Alexander leaving. I tend not to dwell on them especially after a decision, beyond my control, to let anyone go or allow anyone to leave has been made. 

Now after 35+ years of repeated disappointment I'm usually over a poor performance by the time I get into the park, on my way home, however I will say my frustrations from Saturday are still with me now.

• Like 3

On 03/03/2024 at 19:49, W-S-M Seagull said:

How do you know he wasnt? 

We were on course to progress this season under him. 

There isn't a weird narrative on here that the football was brilliant and NP was a good. That's a false narrative YOU have come up with. By and large the narrative is that the football was functional based on circumstances and that we could all see the improvements that were slowly happening. Most people have an appreciation of the job that NP did it very difficult circumstances. 

I agree.

He had a lot of key players on the treatment table, he was blooding youngsters as required, he was restricted on the financial side, very little to spend in the market compared to previous managers.

Just as we were in a position to untie his hands and give him some money to spend the clowns sacked him and replaced him with a complete rookie.

Sacked a bloke who took Leicester to the Premier League and built the team that won it against massive odds.

Anyone who seriously thinks he took us as far as he could should have a think about how constrained he actually was!!!!

They fed him crumbs!

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 2
  • Flames 4

On 04/03/2024 at 00:09, Dr Balls said:

Fantastic post and I’d love someone of Twentyman’s calibre to hold the owners to account and ask them these questions. Sadly, those days seem long gone and they’re able to operate in a complete vacuum of accountability. 

It will be left to the fans to make the owners feel so uncomfortable that they ultimately sell. I’m not holding out any hope looking at the passiveness shown to date though. 

• Flames 2