IGNORED

Last game of the season

Jerseybean

Last game of the season is away to Stoke City. A bit of a doomsday scenario, nevertheless, it could be that we need points from this game to avoid relegation.

With a dozen games of the season left we are nine points ahead of Stoke (who currently occupy 22nd place.) This is simply by virtue of our 12 wins opposed to their 9 wins (we have both drawn 8.)

Given our last couple of performances/results, against teams in the relegation zone, we just could get dragged into a survival fight and our final game could be crucial to both teams.

Just for added giggles we were, of course, 2 up against the Potters at Ashton Gate and lost 2-3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 2

We'll be okay IMO.

Relegating Stoke at their ground would be lovely however...We should really try if it is possible on the day.

Birmingham survived at AG in 2017, which was a shame- we just didn't show up. Lots of possession but no punch, a point would've done it as it turned out.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We'll be okay IMO.

Relegating Stoke at their ground would be lovely however...We should really try if it is possible on the day.

Birmingham survived at AG in 2017, which was a shame- we just didn't show up. Lots of possession but no punch, a point would've done it as it turned out.

I will say it again, "we played for Cotterill that day and helped him and Arry out"

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

We are no more getting relegated now than we were getting in the POs before QPR. There's too big a points buffer & far too many teams that have been average to poor all season would need to hit stellar form whilst we capitulate.

That's jinxed it 🤣 We've already started to capitulate......let's hope part one doesn't come to fruition 

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 1

Just now, MelksRed said:

That's jinxed it 🤣

If it makes you feel any better I was convinced Coppell would lead us to promotion.

The serious point is, after the Coppell debacle I tried to avoid any pre conceptions about future managers. Nothing is guaranteed, sometimes a sensible appointment fails & then a strange one works.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hopefully if there is a chance of sending Stoke down we will not repeat that.

We should play hard anyway, but relegating an opposing side especially at their ground is often a fun scenario.

If we were to relegate Stoke at their place last game of the season...let's just say I wouldn't expect Stoke fans to be shaking our hands after 😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

If Manning maintains his run of 0.9 points per game over the last ten we comfortably avoid the disaster scenario. The bigger worry if that were to be the case is next season. However if we do slide down into around 18th place by the season end then Jon and Sid have some real explaining to do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weepywall said:

If we were to relegate Stoke at their place last game of the season...let's just say I wouldn't expect Stoke fans to be shaking our hands after 😱

Yeah, not been to Stoke away, last season they were midtableish was going to go last year but some mates dropped out.

However to relegate them at their ground would be an interesting one.

🎵We are staying up

You are going down🎵

Etc.

They had a bit of a reputation in the past iirc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If Manning maintains his run of 0.9 points per game over the last ten we comfortably avoid the disaster scenario. The bigger worry if that were to be the case is next season. However if we do slide down into around 18th place by the season end then Jon and Sid have some real explaining to do.

We can probably, just about, even go at 0.33 ppg, gain 4 more points, and land on 48, and we'd still stay up. 

No way are we only taking 4 more points this season.

Anyway, we're not going down and we're not going up (I know you know this) and this has been the case for months. Probably since about September if we're all honest with each other.

• Like 3

• Admin
55 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Would make the piss taking even funnier 

We still owe them for Wembley 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Last game of the season is away to Stoke City. A bit of a doomsday scenario, nevertheless, it could be that we need points from this game to avoid relegation.

With a dozen games of the season left we are nine points ahead of Stoke (who currently occupy 22nd place.) This is simply by virtue of our 12 wins opposed to their 9 wins (we have both drawn 8.)

Given our last couple of performances/results, against teams in the relegation zone, we just could get dragged into a survival fight and our final game could be crucial to both teams.

Just for added giggles we were, of course, 2 up against the Potters at Ashton Gate and lost 2-3.

I am like you. Concerned! The faster we get another six points the better!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I am like you. Concerned! The faster we get another six points the better!

I know it’s highly unlikely REDOXO but the way we are performing I’m with you, let’s get to mathematical safety asap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

And Rotherham the week before.

I reckon we'll get another 12 points out of the 36 available giving us a finishing total of 56 and somewhere around a 16th-18th placed finish. That would give Manning 35 points out of 31 matches if I'm right. What people would make of that at the end of the season, especially the hierarchy, I don't know.

That said, it would be very Bristol City to sack the manager and finish on 59 points....exactly the same as last season.

45 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I know it’s highly unlikely REDOXO but the way we are performing I’m with you, let’s get to mathematical safety asap.

Thank god we won at Boro and beat Southampton as otherwise, it really would be squeaky bum time after the last two results! I would have hoped to have got 4 points across the QPR/Wednesday games…..how wrong was I !

Its worrying that we are still worried about relegation with a 9 point buffer and only 12 games to go - hopefully, we can get the couple of wins we need quickly but I guess, it’s a sign of the times, based on the last two games. Confidence completely evaporated, not only from some supporters but based on what I witnessed in Sheffield yesterday, a number of our players too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Thank god we won at Boro and beat Southampton as otherwise, it really would be squeaky bum time after the last two results! I would have hoped to have got 4 points across the QPR/Wednesday games…..how wrong was I !

Its worrying that we are still worried about relegation with a 9 point buffer and only 12 games to go - hopefully, we can get the couple of wins we need quickly but I guess, it’s a sign of the times, based on the last two games. Confidence completely evaporated, not only from some supporters but based on what I witnessed in Sheffield yesterday, a number of our players too.

Another whole week on the grass.....we'll be ready for Cardiff!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

I must admit when posters say we will end up mid table and we are playing this poorly I do wonder. Strikers that are simply not fit for purpose, lack of creativity in midfield and now shipping goals with some poor defending. And a lack of fight. I will be very happy to finish mid table but think we will keep sliding down the table.

• Like 2

The truth is, every team we play between now and the end of the season will have us pencilled in for 3 points in the bank... Cardiff, Swansea and Plymouth will be playing for bragging rights and will all more than fancy their chances. the other teams we have to play are all battling at either the top end or the bottom end of the division. It’s going to be a rough 12 games… assuming it can get any rougher than the last couple.. Buckle up!

10 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

I must admit when posters say we will end up mid table and we are playing this poorly I do wonder. Strikers that are simply not fit for purpose, lack of creativity in midfield and now shipping goals with some poor defending. And a lack of fight. I will be very happy to finish mid table but think we will keep sliding down the table.

Would say finishing the season 12th/14th would be very welcome, even unexpected after recent appalling performances - with the stupidity of obviously unfit players in the side/squad thrown into the mix adds a rather dark aspect - I'm pointed in the direction to feel something is very,very wrong!

Fingers in Manning's head coach pie (if you'll pardon the expression) cannot be ruled out,and if correct will be playing havoc with him mentally & privately he will be hearing alarm bells..a situation the more aware of the playing staff may well have picked up on.

My gut tells me all in all they ain't a happy bunch at the moment & it shows.

Right now I'll be happy to stay up.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I think it is very unlikely we will go down but now is not the time for complacency. I think the assumption 50 points will be enough to stay up this season is not set in stone. Looking at fixtures remaining for teams lower in the table they could end up with the following points. 

stoke  54
qpr 51
millwall 53
huddersfield 52
birmingham 53

I wont be happy until we have 3 more wins Cardiff Swansea and Plymouth hopefully. lose or draw those and pick up nothing from Ipswich West Brom and Leicester we are going to be very close to the bottom 3. in 2013 Peterborough went down with 53 points - the average for safety is 49.7.

Relegation for us is unlikely but lets wait till we have 55 points before we start crowing about relegating Stoke on the last day.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, weepywall said:

The more likely scenario is that we just don’t show up, they win, but a result somewhere else relegates them!